Any way to use a PS3 BD drive on PC?

Objekt

Limp Gawd
Is it in any way possible to use a PS3 Blu-ray drive to watch Blu-ray content on a PC? This guy I know has a Playstation 3 that died, so he gave me the Blu-ray drive out of it to experiment with.

So far, I'm thinking there's no way to use it with a PC. Not only is it so huge it won't fit in a standard 5.25" or 3.5" drive bay, but it uses odd, probably proprietary-to-Sony connectors. One is a 4-pin plug, probably for power, not quite the same size as a PC FDD power plug. The other is a super-thin ribbon cable, the likes of which I've only seen in laptops, until now.

Searching the Interwebs has not given me any hope. Leave it to Sony to cobble together a bespoke, quasi-IDE implementation rather than slapping a commodity SATA BD-ROM drive in the PS3.

Apparently, even if you can make the physical connection to a PC - which I still can't find any details on - the drive has odd firmware. It seems highly questionable that I'd be able to get the drive recognized, let alone make HDCP happy, and thus be able to watch BD movies and such.

Any thoughts?

Back