Any victims of the Bandwidth.com outtage?

00PS

[H]ard|Gawd
Anyone else use their SIP Trunking services?

Luckly it was only down for about 30 mintues, but in that 30 minutes, man, was I scrambling to get our failover online. What a pain.

Last edited:
WOW, I got a call from the office that uses them. They said they were having issue's between 2pm and 5pm EST today (they couldn't give me an exact time). I also had a weird outage from 9am-11:30am on the 16th. The internet was generally working, but the traceroute would die right before their servers (OpenDNS and Comcast DNS was dead as well, Google DNS worked fine, so who knows, it could have been Comcast's fault). At this rate the office is fuming... The lack of auto fail-over that bandwidth initially advertised to me (which is only available on their phonebooth service...) has been troublesome as well as the recent down time. Flowroute is another company that I use and their auto fail over works almost instantly to any phone number you tell them. May be the only choice I give people now.

The autofail over was a joke. I was making an attempt to switch over to a temporary solution using RingCentral. Even then, that route is pretty ghetto, but at least it would work for the time being.

They did it again... Just got a call apologizing for the downtime all day today. Their backup server did take over, but of course it was overloaded... Why have a backup server if it can't handle ALL the duties of the primary server?!

They are on a tight leash now, any more issues, and F the unlimited channel's, I'd switch them over to Flowroute, which may turn out to be the cheaper option after all.

This is why I strongly recommend against VoIP services on the internet for businesses. There are simply too many hands in the cookie jar to guarantee a level of service.

Give me plain ol' copper any day ( or t1 )

Now copper didn't work very well either when a tree fell on the phone lines (took days, still had cable internet). Or when water leaked into one of their boxes. Or the lines got munched on, then more water, then corrosion. Everything has it's downside. T1's without line problems go down too. I have an office that has lost (ATT) services 4 extended times in the past month (and it's a regular occurrence months on end). Sure there is an sla, but all ATT will do is credit them when they don't meet it. Bandwidth has been fine for the past year (minus a week). But the way they are handling their recent issues is what is making me question them. Auto-failover to pstn is a big+ (which bandwidth does not have, but Flowroute/Vitelity does) would have been much appreciated in this instance.

I'll slightly disagree by saying pure voip is generally a bad idea. At leased for now, you should always have a pstn for a backup, for 911, and for faxing.

There are plenty of solutions, it all depends on the pluses and minuses to said company. This company loves that their phone/dsl bill dropped from $960 to $400. Although a bit irritated, all you have to do is look at the Bill, think back over the past year of great service on your awesome phone system, and bitch about the present to ride it out.

Last edited:
Anyone else use their SIP Trunking services?

Luckly it was only down for about 30 mintues, but in that 30 minutes, man, was I scrambling to get our failover online. What a pain.

Then it isn't a very good service, or implementation if it took you 30 mins to get it online... failover is just that, it should fail right over.

Back