Any updates on when DDR4L (1.05v) sticks will start arriving?

Don't expect it anytime soon. It took years for DDR3L to make the rounds.

The DDR3L *OFFICIAL SPEC* was announced 3 years after the first DDR3 modules appeared. And it took a couple more years after that before they started appearing in SODIMMs.

I'd expect at least 2017 or later for DDR4L. Just because you see news about it doesn't mean the standard has been finalized. Also, the process yields have to get better to allow them to run this stuff at such high speeds at lower voltages. In the mean time, 15w mobile chips are either sticking with DDR3L, or are running the DDR4 at 1866 to save power.

Now there is LPDDR4, but that's not made for DIMMs. That's to be soldered directly to the motherboard.

Last edited:
so 2020>? jeebus.... i know 1.25 is already low... but would nice to save even more electricity if possible.

We're talking about a watt saved at-most. No need to freak out dude, you'll only notice the difference on ultrabooks.

kk... i thought it was actually going to make some dents lol... will keep getting the regular sticks rather than waiting then. thx!

kk... i thought it was actually going to make some dents lol... will keep getting the regular sticks rather than waiting then. thx!

Nah man, standard memory sticks use under 5w each, that's why they can get away with no heatsink to dissipate the heat.

When you see these "new" 2133 DDR4 sticks, you can be sure they're push the standard to the limits. So universally, all the overclocked parts above 2400 require heatsinks.

You'll see this heatsink requirement disappear once we have the process tech to lower the voltage. Like this DDR3L1866 stick, a speed class that used to universally require a heatsink:

Crucial 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model CT102464BD186D - Newegg.com

Back