Any thoughts on the new Asus X79 Deluxe MB?

raglafart

Limp Gawd
I'm in a spiral of ever increasing costs!

Not sure what to do.

I built my current PC using the following;
Case; Coolmaster 690 II advanced running 4 Thermalrite 140 PWM fans
MB; Asus P9X79 PRO
CPU; i7 3960 @ 4.3 gig overclock
RAM; 64 gig G Skill f3-17000cl11q2-64gbzld
VGA; Gigabyte HD 7850
SSD; Crucial M4 256 gig

I haven't been happy with the Intel water cooling. It's the noisiest part of the rig. I bought the Swiftech H220 kit to replace the intel unit.
I also wanted a better graphic card and went with the Asus GTX780

I've gone this far, I'm now thinking I'll build a machine for my wife using the above bits but swapping out the CPU for the 3820 and using the 32 gig kit of Corsair ram.

I'd then build my machine using;
Case; Corsair Obsidian 750 D
MB; ??????
CPU; i7 3960
RAM; 64 gig G Skill f3-17000cl11q2-64gbzld
VGA; Asus GTX 780
SSD; Samsung 840 pro 512 gig

I've been impressed with the P9 X79 PRO but seeing I've gone this far I'm thinking the new Asus X79 Deluxe looks very tasty.
I was initially going to keep the P9 Pro and get a lesser board for my wife, but as always the temptation to have something better is getting the best of me.

Price wise, I've seen the Asrock boards start around the $200 mark
I've found someone in Australia (I'm from Sydney Australia) with a new P9 X79 for $280 a very keen price.
I'm very tempted to buy the X 79 Deluxe but really finding it hard to justify it !

I'd appreciate any thoughts or suggestions.

Cheers John

Unless your going to step up to Ivy Bridge-E there is no point in replacing your board with the X79 Deluxe. If you are then you'll probably see better overclocks out of the newer motherboard.

I'm not replacing the board, I'm building another PC so either way I'm going to need another mother board.

The P9 X79 PRO I found at $280 is gone so in Australia it's going to set me back $350 for another PRO board. Bearing in mind I'd still be happy with the P9 Pro, at the $280 I'd have bought it for the new machine for my wife. It would have been overkill so I either go with a $200 lga 2011 board for her and keep the Pro. If I use the X79 PRO in the machine for my wife I can then upgrade mine to the X79 Deluxe. Doing that gives me a bit more life from my PC as I'd be able to take advantage of further lga 2011 CPU's down the track.

I can't get any info from Asus Australia as to when or if they are going to import the X79 Deluxe so I'd have to buy it from the US

Cheers John

Well I'm gobsmacked!!

I just rang Asus here in Australia to find out if and when they're going to stock the new X79 Deluxe motherboard.

I rang the number for sales and service and pre order inquiries.
They simply have no idea, and to put it bluntly couldn't give a rats arse if they do or don't ever stock them.

Seems they don't even get involved in what's brought into Australia and it's all done by independent wholesalers! No wonder the boards are so much more expensive here than elsewhere :mad: :confused:

Back