Any Rec's for an Xbox Controller?

fn9

Weaksauce
Just wondering if anyone has found a design that they like better than the OEM one.

The only one worth getting is the Microsoft brand one, everything else defeats the purpose. The ergonomics of the MS brand 360 controller are what set it apart from every other controller ever designed.

The OEM one is the best but and I have two that I use with the unit itself but I also have a wired Madcatz one I bought a few years ago which is pretty comparable that I use for many PC games.

funny this thread appears.. i wanted to buy a 360 controller to play many steam games that would be better with it. Especially Sonic.

I looked at the : (in canadian money)

razer Onza wired 40$
OEM MS wired 50$
PDP afterglow wired 30$

i do not want wireless.

ANy insights?

I like the MS one the best. I was excited about the Onza during its (long) release cycle, but when it finally came out and I gave it a try, I didn't really like it, it just wasn't as comfortable as the standard MS controller. I like its features, but its not as comfortable and its D-pad sucks balls (the standard D-pad sucks balls too, but I think Razer made it even worse with the Onza).

Other than the d-pad, the standard 360 controller is about as close to perfect as I've ever seen a controller.

When I looked into this a year or two ago, the third-party wired XBox 360 controllers that improved on the Microsoft version's d-pad introduced negatives that made the original the better choice. The game-specific versions I see on amazon right now mostly look like godawful crap to me.

The matte finish versions are better than the glossy ones for those of us with sweaty palms.

The Windows versions are exactly the same as the non-Windows versions, except that they come with a driver CD that you don't need if you have Windows 7 or the Internet, so choose whichever is cheaper at the moment.

When it comes to gaming controllers for PC, the Xbox 360 official controllers are the only things I would buy.

Not only are they great controllers, but they have the highest compatibility with games.

I have grown to like the 360 controller. I have a wired one that I use on my W7 PC. The main selling point was that it was 10% plug and play in W7, plus I got it used for like $10. It also has plenty of buttons, so mimicking other console controllers via the controller layout usually isn't too difficult.

I've been using a PS3 controller with motioninjoy software which has the option to emulate a 360 controller. The d-pad is much better than the one on the 360 so its great for any games that use it.

I use the wired Madcats xbox360 controller and it works well. Its not quite as nice as the MS one but it was only $25.

But with madcatz that usually means that you'll have to replace it every three months and that the buttons feel like the buttons on the remote control for my tv and the analog sticks have a massive dead zone.

I've been using a PS3 controller with motioninjoy software which has the option to emulate a 360 controller. The d-pad is much better than the one on the 360 so its great for any games that use it.

+1 Plus with that software you can assign keystrokes/keys to any button (I use it as a drum controller :D).

Another vote for the 360 controller, it's about as perfect as you can get.

The Windows versions are exactly the same as the non-Windows versions, except that they come with a driver CD that you don't need if you have Windows 7 or the Internet, so choose whichever is cheaper at the moment.

Which is funny, because when the PC version of the wired 360 controller was released, it cost $10 more for basically no reason at all even though the standard 360 one worked right out of the box (may have needed to download drivers though) from what I recall.

Which is funny, because when the PC version of the wired 360 controller was released, it cost $10 more for basically no reason at all even though the standard 360 one worked right out of the box (may have needed to download drivers though) from what I recall.

When I bought mine, probably about a year ago, the one labelled as the PC version was cheaper than the one labelled as the 360 version. No idea why, it just was.

While the 360 controller is great for anything that uses analog - that d-pad sucks ass, and even the new one that supposedly fixes it, still isn't ideal. Part of the problem is just the placement on it. It's wonky to use the left triggers while reaching down to hit the d-pad.

The PS3 controller using the MotionJoy drivers is okay if you're mainly using it for d-pad stuff, but then you'll have the opposite issue for anything using analogs.

While it's not perfect - get a 360 pad for most things and then hunt for a wired PS2 controller and $5 adapter for anything that uses a d-pad. It's a boatload cheaper than a PS3 controller and since wireless doesn't mean anything to you - you won't lose anything.

tournament edition onza just for the adjustable resistance analog sticks and remappable buttons on the back

There is an improved M$ controller that alot of people say is better it is usually silver without colored buttons. I have 2 but they are wireless they seem decent.

The PC version of the wireless controller was the one that cost $10 more, and that was because it included the PC wireless receiver.

tournament edition onza just for the adjustable resistance analog sticks and remappable buttons on the back

I'm a huge fan of this controller, except for the remappable buttons on the back. I actually remapped them to mirror the bumpers. lol

I moved away from motionjoy PS3 to X360 controller. Best part is no fiddling with anything and almost all games that support controllers, support X360 pad out of the box. Only real drawback is the horrendous d-pad. Might be worthwhile to get the new MS d-pad controller since it seems a much better design.

Add another for the Onza Tournament edition.

Have one and love it, dont care about the map-able buttons, but the buttons them self are soo nice, and the adjustable tension of the sticks definitely helps out in the few games I used it.

Ive grown to like the x360 controller alot. I use a few extras on it. I even go as far as getting a converter box to play it on my PS3 with one.

Mods:
Shim D-pad with plastic lid from butter container
Shim Analog sticks as they sink in quite a bit (did this on PS3 controller as well)
Silicon Glove
Komodo thumb grips usually on both side
FPS Freek when needed on racing game (left stick)

I've modded the PS3 controller but still gravitate back to x360 controller.

Really? Personally its the only controller that doesn't hurt my hands out of what is currently available that I've tried.

It's an awkward shape and layout (the wonk sticks and domedness), the trigger buttons at the back are just wrong especially when using the d-pad, the buttons are spongey with horrid webbing. Oh, and it's made of cheap grey plastic with my first controller looking buttons. :D

I've tried a lot of controllers (whether on console or PC) over the years and in my opinion the OEM Xbox 360 pad is the best pad ever made. It's only weak point is the D-Pad -- if they ever manage to correct that the pad would be perfect.

I don't like the Onza because in my experience it lives up to Razer's reputation (premature breaking/wear) and the hight of the analog sticks are uncomfortable to me.

I'm a little surprised it's still $50 for a M$ remote after all these years. I guess from a business perspective though, they have no real incentive to drop the prices on them.

I agree they are on the expensive side, but if one keeps a look out maybe they can find a deal on them. For instance, the wireless models are €50 over here in Europe but I manged to get one for €27 from Amazon.

I'm a little surprised it's still $50 for a M$ remote after all these years. I guess from a business perspective though, they have no real incentive to drop the prices on them.
It's very easy to find one on sale for $40 or less.

It's an awkward shape and layout (the wonk sticks and domedness), the trigger buttons at the back are just wrong especially when using the d-pad, the buttons are spongey with horrid webbing. Oh, and it's made of cheap grey plastic with my first controller looking buttons. :D

I was gonna ask you what controller you think is so much better, but then I looked back on the previous page and saw your PS3 controller recommendation and you lost all my respect :p

Back