Any other methods of cleaning a computer full of dust?

dont know if anyone has said this one yet....

electric leafblower.

works dandy!

Im poor, so i just go to my local hardware store (in this case mcdonalds) and pick a one of those nifty 'straw' thingies. I proceed to put my mouth on one end and push air through it so it comes out the other end by blowing. Following that I move this 'straw' in circular motions to move the dust out. Now be warned, this may take 8-9 hours to cover a standard atx case, but the personal gratitude is well worth the effort.

Air compressors are for pussies!

I modded a 92mm fan housing to become a vacume attachment. I remove the bottom front 92mm fan, attach the modded 92mm fan housing to the outside of the hole like a regular fan would mount and then attach the vacume hose to it. I turn on the Vac and then use a soft bristle brush and air in a can to remove the dust. It works great!

I use a Air mattress pump.. the manual bellows one... t'has nuff pressure to blow 'tem dusties away

99% or higher alcohole. and every part in your system has been run through a deionized water bath.

I dont recommend hi pressure air unless its canned (but is usually 8-10 bucks a pop... expensive!)

Discahrge any static you may be carrying on the power supply. Unplug it. Use an old (and dry) toothbrush to losen up any crap building up around chips, traces, clips, or odd shaped components. Make sure you get the fan blades on both sides.

Power Supplies can build up HUGE amounts of crap and dust.. be very carefull when opening yours (it can shock your ass out cold), and brush all the crap lose as well. If you have Hard Drive coolers, you need to take them apart too. They fill up with crap too.

Once you have everything brushed off, use the canned air to blow it all clean, second pass anything you missed, and re-assemble.

To help slopw down the collection of shit in your box.. install filter on all your intakes.. or if your a cheap ass bastard, get some cheese cloth from the supermarket, and tape a couple layers over the intakes. It doesnt restrict the airflow, but will catch every partical trying to get in.. Cheese cloth fucking ROCKS!

When I was "in the business" I used a small air compressor with a special replaceable filter to catch any mositure that might be present. I think it was designed for air brushing or something... and it worked wonderfully. I used to clean up every machine that came into the shop for work, never had any problems, and people seemed to appreciate it.

I remember one machine that came in full of baby powder. It looked like someone had dumped about 3 containers of baby powder in the thing!

I will give credit for this idea to a friend of mine.

Paintball Gun.

Works better than compressed air could ever want to.

15-20 shots and the entire machine is spotless.

Now obviously, for all you mindless tools out there, take the damned paintballs out of the gun first.

Around here, refills on the 20oz tank are $3, and 15-20 shots per cleaning results in like 100 cleanings.

Screw air in the can.

Originally posted by mwarps
I will give credit for this idea to a friend of mine.

Paintball Gun.

Works better than compressed air could ever want to.

15-20 shots and the entire machine is spotless.

Now obviously, for all you mindless tools out there, take the damned paintballs out of the gun first.

Around here, refills on the 20oz tank are $3, and 15-20 shots per cleaning results in like 100 cleanings.

Screw air in the can.

Never thougth of this idea!...It would work great!

No more expensive air cans for me!!!...BTW...This won't mess up the gun right?

Originally posted by jamezzz122
Never thougth of this idea!...It would work great!

No more expensive air cans for me!!!...BTW...This won't mess up the gun right?

Firing it empty? Nope, doesn't mess it up at all. If anything, less stress on the gun.

Originally posted by mwarps
Firing it empty? Nope, doesn't mess it up at all. If anything, less stress on the gun.

mm... fun AND effective!

I use something similar i guess you could say...
And old SuperSoaker squirt gun (no water of course).

Pump it a good 30 times, and you've got a good half minute of a nice, powerful jet of air.

Back