Any issue with using 12gb memory with SSD and win 7 home prem?

fsh42na

[H]ard|Gawd
Hopefully I'm posting this question in the right forum.

I'm planning on putting together a new pc for my sis in law using:

Gigabyte X58 mobo
I7 920 cpu
6gb vs 12 gb of DDR3 PC 1600 memory
Intel X25 80gb SSD for OS and programs
Samsung 1tb HD
MSI GTX 460 1gb video
XFX 750 or 850 power supply
Coolermaster 690 II case
Win 7 Home Premium

Initially, I was planning on giving her 6gb (3x 2gb), but I'm "overstocked" on 6gb kits and am thinking about changing it to 12gb. I don't plan on overclocking anything since it won't be my pc. I just want her to have a fast computer for general use (No gaming at all - YES, YES, I KNOW, IT'S SERIOUS OVERKILL:))

Will there be any issues with using 12gb of memory? Probably I'll have to run the memory at < PC 1600. I'm interested in what running 12gb of memory affects my SSD. Will it take away usable space?

I wouldnt think so but the stock memory on the 920 is like 1333 so if you overclocked the ram without overclocking the cpu wouldnt that be pointless more or less?

RAM doesn't have any effect on the SSD.

Thought I read somewhere that the amount of ram you use affects the size of the "pagefile" which in turn affects usable space on the SSD.

No problems for me. I had to tweak the bios settings to get my RAM running at 1600 mhz. Other than that, everything seems to work fine.

Thought I read somewhere that the amount of ram you use affects the size of the "pagefile" which in turn affects usable space on the SSD.

Actually it does. You can adjust the pagefile to 500-1000MB which will save a great deal of SSD storage.

there isnt any performance difference that I know. I have a 120gb ssd in my x58 system with 12gb ram on stock and it runs excellent.

Back