any ideas how i can increase bandwith between a 1gb lan?

user3657

Limp Gawd
i have a straight through cable to my server with 1gb connection. i useally only reach about 20-25%,never more then 30%. how can i push more to get it closer to 100%. i know i wont reach 100% because of overhead, but atleast 80-90???

win2k3 <> vista 64

How are you transfering things? FTP? Windows File Sharing? Other?

Windows file sharing tends to be slower than things like FTP. Also note that the speed of your drives on either end will make a difference.

I notice a big jump in speeds between copying to my server with an old IDE drive and copying to my other machine that has a newer SATA drive.

well most likely your LAN is no longer the slowest point in your network. Even with really good fiber gig nics I was only able to get a certain throughput... I did this years ago though... but I had some really good drives.(SCSI 15ks) I dont remember getting amazing throughput but it was the max for the drives.

So what drives you have?

Windows file sharing will probably make things slower.... since in my opinion it sucks :D

the vista box is a raptor, the server is sata 3.0 maxtors. so are you saying about 250mb/s is all im going to get?

Just for fun I did a file transfer test here between two gig-nic computers. One watercooled C2D, w/Raptor - the other my wife's iMac. Bandwidth was 38.4MB/s. So, sounds pretty typical to me. To be clear, her os is OSX and I'm on XP SP3 RC (official).

edit: OK, I was now really curious. That transfer was me grabbing files from her iMac. Wonder how it is the other way around. Similar test - 58.6MB/s! Clearly her computer isn't able to serve as fast as mine. That is a network throughput of ~492Mbit. Half of the theoretical max. So I would expect to start to run into a brick wall pretty soon. How high I don't know.

Also, in the second test, that share I was grabbing from was served by my SATA 500GB WD drive, not a raptor.

the vista box is a raptor, the server is sata 3.0 maxtors. so are you saying about 250mb/s is all im going to get?

well I dont know the ratings for your drives. But most likely. You can try a different file transfer method. might show some difference

well even your first test is almost x2 my speed. are you using a router? or pc to pc?

Back