Any good usb tv tuners out there?

bart1975

I Steal Games
Since I am replacing my dying tv with a good computer monitor I am looking for a good way to still watch tv. I have read mixed comments on usb tv tuners anyone have any experience with these? The main reasons I am looking for a usb tuner is that I would like the option of using it on my laptop also when on the road.

The ati cable card tuner has an external usb version. But its expensive and only can get used but works perfect for me.(This probably isn't what you are looking for at all) I have heard good things about hauppauges usb tv tuners but I have never used them.

I am really interested in hearing from people who own usb tv tuners and what they think of them.

Whatever software it comes with most likely. I will be switching it from my desktop monitor to my laptop fairly often. Both systems run Windows 7 Basic X64. Not sure if MythTV will work.

WinTV HVR-950Q is an excellent USB tuner. I've used one for almost 2 years.

hvr950q_top.jpg

I've owned one before, this one to be exact:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815260023
this is an example of what not to get, because it was a piece of crap.

I tried using it on 2 rigs, game me headaches one both. I tried using the included software, crap, and with wmc, also crap. It even fried the port it was plugged in on one of the rigs.

And before completely frying that one port, windows kept telling me about a power surge from my USB ports, which I had never seen before until I used this tuner. I didn't really look into the issue afterwards, but I guess the tuner was pulling more power from the USB port than the port could handle (?).

I think you'll have better luck if you go up higher in your price range than I did.

Back