Any good tips for enhancing performance on Windows 10?

0107sj

n00b
I by no means have a high-end rig but its decent. I see myself running into lagg at times even in games that recommend high or above settings.
I heard a tip about disabling the Xbox app on my windows com and wondered if there are any other tips that can improve performance without upgrading hardware?

If you have an Nvidia GPU you can manually do your GPU Boost curve which will give better performance since voltages are optimal you keep it from thermal throttling, it takes time but totally worth it. I don't think you will gain much by OS tweaks.

Gonna have to give us more to go on, mate. Specs, games, resolution, multitasking anything, etc? GPU recommended settings can be really it or miss, particularly for older hardware.

The days of "optimizing" Windows like in XP are longggggg gone. I have several OLD ass PCs at home and work that run Win10/Server 2012 flawlessly (dual core laptop, phenom x2).

Snake oil. Really, there is not much you can do, any "optimization" would only yield results that fall well within the range of measurement errors when tested. Unless there is something seriously mis-configured or wrong with your computer. If you have recent GPU drivers there is not much else possible to do. Disable tasks that take too much resources, or turn on gaming mode in the av software.

I by no means have a high-end rig but its decent. I see myself running into lagg at times even in games that recommend high or above settings.
I heard a tip about disabling the Xbox app on my windows com and wondered if there are any other tips that can improve performance without upgrading hardware?

First, disable Windows 10's ironically-titled "Game Mode", as it slows down gaming performance:

Second, look into overclocking your GPU a bit with a program like MSI Afterburner. If you let us know what GPU you have then we might be able to recommend you an overclock configuration to try out.

Thirdly, if you like to play Ubisoft games, then maybe think about upgrading to Windows 7, as Ubisoft games tend to get a chunk more FPS in Windows 7 than they do in Windows 10, for whatever reason.

I think the "real" test to game mode will be with 1803. If the user enables virtualization protection(s), then game mode might(?) actually do something. If 1803 is a clean install these Defender settings [core and memory isolation] are on by default; and I noticed there was an increase in processor usage within 10% in my very small and limited testing of core isolation enabled. No performance decrease just processor usage. Could not test memory isolation due to my system not being a clean install, and did not try game mode with core isolation enabled. But this is the thing with meltdown/spectre patch(es) there is a decrease in performance with TLB which impacts virtualization too......so I am curious the over all effects in its permutations. I am surprised that there are not tests pouring out about this. Also...this seems to finally be a reason to have i/o virtualization support for the I/O MMU. This could make AMD platforms even a bit more appealing?? Or, are the gamers going to be be disabling the "security" features....

Snake oil. Really, there is not much you can do, any "optimization" would only yield results that fall well within the range of measurement errors when tested. Unless there is something seriously
rmis-configured or wrong with your computer. If you have recent GPU drivers there is not much else possible to do. Disable tasks that take too much resources, or turn on gaming mode in the av software.

There are actually a few tricks that can boost performance tremendously but it's not a magic wand that just makes everything perform faster

- Avoid thread conflicts on a CPU with SMT/CMT (10-35% boost in highly CPU depending software with few threads).
Remember that SMT as defaults hurts performance when you have an amount of CPU heavy threads that are equal or less than the number of physical cores

- Adjust CPU priorities if you are multitasking several CPU heavy programs.

- Avoid CCX switching if you CPU heavy software does not have enough threads to utilize the physical cores of a single CCX anyway ( speed boost 5-10%

its all situation specific. and its basically about a smarter handling of your threads load distribution

- Disable the spectra/meltdown patch will give around 15% boost in software that is both I/O and CPU intensive. E.G. compression software
it can be done with a single registry settings.

I will recommend to look into my software Project mercury
www.techcenter.dk

Back