Any good laptop models for available with a 4:3 aspect ratio screen??

DaRuSsIaMaN

[H]ard|Gawd
Wide screen for laptop is stupid IMO, since it gives you less desktop area and, especially important, less in the vertical dimension which is most beneficial when reading documents, websites, etc.

So, any good laptop (PC) models out there with 4:3 screens, which are NORMAL sized? I've seen some tiny netbooks which have 800x600 resolution or something like that but I'm talking about a fully capable laptop.

Your chances of finding any brand new laptops these days with a factory 4:3 screen are pretty much null and void. Your best options are:

a) refurb outlets at given OEM websites (Dell Outlet, Lenovo Outlet, etc) and get them from the original makers with a warranty of some kind but you'll be looking at models several years old. The Dell Latitude D600 series models, Lenovo models pre-2008, etc would be what you'd be interested in.

b) eBay, 'cause it's loaded with used laptops with 4:3 screens constantly.

c) craigslist if you have a listing in your immediate vicinity.

d) someone you know selling one in your area, etc.

That's about it. The world is moving to widescreen aspect ratios for many reasons, and it's either get on board and deal with it or stay behind and stuck with the older stuff. No company that I'm aware of (save for the supplier that makes the IPS 1024x768 panels in the iPads) is making 4:3 panels anymore, it's just how things are. Whatever happens to be out there - save for the iPad screens - is what there is and they'll dwindle in supply as time goes by.

not that i know of.....you can get a high res laptop though(1080p) and it will give you more screen area than any 4:3 screen on a laptop in comparable size would....

only ones I could think of are some specialty things, like the ToughBook may be, or some business models from any of the major OEMs

Just get a laptop with a 1920x1080 or 1920x1200 screen. Same or more amount of vertical space as 4:3 screens.

Just get a bigger screen size 16:9 or 16:10 laptop. 4:3 laptops lack the portability of similar screen size 16:9 laptops. Put black bars on the side of the screen if it makes you feel better.

Looking for a 4:3 laptop is insane.

And 16:9 laptops lack the portability of equivalent vertical size 4:3 laptops, strap a blocks of wood onto the sides if it'll make you feel better.

less sarcastically though, noone is selling newish 4:3 laptops any longer; the best you can do is 16:10 and increasingly you have to hunt to find those.

Wide screen for laptop is stupid IMO, since it gives you less desktop area and, especially important, less in the vertical dimension which is most beneficial when reading documents, websites, etc.

So, any good laptop (PC) models out there with 4:3 screens, which are NORMAL sized? I've seen some tiny netbooks which have 800x600 resolution or something like that but I'm talking about a fully capable laptop.

I was in the same boat, until new applications started adapting for it. It used to be that the control panels are at the top and bottom. Now they're compacting the upper taskbars and putting them on either side of the screen, so your working space is still technically close to 4:3.

And when you're not working it's perfect for watching video ;)

Just get a bigger screen size 16:9 or 16:10 laptop. 4:3 laptops lack the portability of similar screen size 16:9 laptops. Put black bars on the side of the screen if it makes you feel better.

Looking for a 4:3 laptop is insane.

wtf? How does that make any sense? How are 4:3 laptops less portable than similarly-sized widescreen ones??

The X61 isn't exactly a good idea. At that size a X200 or better with 1280 x 800 has better resolution in all areas and the widescreen also allows for a full sized keyboard, while the X61 has a compromised keyboard with shrunken backspace, enter, and shift keys.

Look for a used 4:3 T61 or something, which will probably be one of the newest 4:3 laptops you can find. Beware though, most T61s are 16:10.

I don't know what is your budget, but gateway has 4:3 screen on fx series, dual core, ddr3 ram and 9800m GTS i was planning on selling it but now i've decided to keep mine. now i'm not sure but i've 4:3 dell monitor and this thing is almost the same size. hope this helps please let me know if this info is incorrect as i don't care but i can save future embrasment :)

almost forgot ya those thing costs about $600 or so on ebay which is actually good deal, however be careful as it's older bios from gateway are worst and flickers the screen as well as freezes the computer, you will have to find 20 or 22 revision version of bios which are great but can't be found on gateway (google it i'll post new link leter on)

so screen doesn't make up for the aspect ratio but rather pixel does, i'm gonna need to get 101 class for just that.,

Back