Any External USB HD Enclosures without an adapter?

typhoon43

2[H]4U
I'm looking on Newegg and all of them seem to have a power brick. For portability I prefer being able to just plug a normal PC power cord in, sans brick. Is it because I'm looking for a SATA enclosure? The 1st enclosure I ever bought was like 2 years ago and it had a built in PS.

typhoon43 said:
I'm looking on Newegg and all of them seem to have a power brick. For portability I prefer being able to just plug a normal PC power cord in, sans brick. Is it because I'm looking for a SATA enclosure? The 1st enclosure I ever bought was like 2 years ago and it had a built in PS.

You won't find one for a 3.5 inch disk because they need 12v power which is not present in a USB connection.

There are lots for 2.5inch because they are designed to only use 5v and therefore can be powered of the USB connection.

edit : Didn't understand your question. I have seen any enclosures that take a normal power plug at least recently.

I didn't mean USB powered. Sorry about that. I meant I just didn't want a brick. My old ATA external case simply used the 3 prong plug from a PC and it plugged into the back of the enclosure. Very clean looking IMO. I was wonderign if there's a case using SATA that fits that bill. Not sure where else to look besides the Egg and ZZF..

draksia said:
I believe thats exactly what he is looking for. Thats seems pretty expensive though for an external enclosure.

I don't think that's what he wanted - all that does is connect to a sata header on your motherboard, not USB. I couldn't find anything on froogle with an internal power adapter though.

I'd advise just to stick with ata drives - they're cheaper, and sata won't perform any better in an external enclosure.

IanG said:
I don't think that's what he wanted - all that does is connect to a sata header on your motherboard, not USB. I couldn't find anything on froogle with an internal power adapter though.

I'd advise just to stick with ata drives - they're cheaper, and sata won't perform any better in an external enclosure.

Its got USB and SATA in it.

IanG said:

Look at the photo again.
There is clearly a USB port on the back of the thing.

That's just what I need. It is a tad pricey though. I want to stick to SATA since I have a 160 gig SATA drive just laying around. Thanks for the link!

Back