Any decent VA screens out there with decent blacks?

JESUS CHRIST!!! thats the size of my TV!! Infact i may replace my 43" TV with that! Anything around 22"

EDIT: i see complaints about pixel dithering on the 43" but, i think they are close up. it sounds like it burns in or has image retention like old Plasmas?
EDIT: looks like it has dark edges and corners in a lot of reviews. also still looking for about 22" VA

Last edited:
Sadly no, unless you find a used Eizo FG2421, but that may have other issues. That monitor was notorious for its cross hatching pattern issues.

As someone once mentioned: Good VA panels start at 32". :bear: It's best not to look for the perfect monitor, but the one that's least annoying for your use case. Darker edges or black crush may be more tolerable than banding in shadows with the room lights dimmed for example.

Decent LCD panels do not exist. But VA is a compromise with the least amount of bad sides.
I completely disagree
VA have worst pixel response times and more often than not exhibit visible overdrive artifacts, especially on skin tones which have this strange banding effect. VA panels have real struggle switching from black to dark tones and this cause dark streaks.

Then VA have gamma shift which not only makes them completely unusable for any color critical work but also break any advantage there is to having better contrast ratio.
qFRvYDX.jpg
86poxwH.jpg
On this image very dark tones are properly rendered in the middle (where your measurement device measure and calibrate panel) but then quickly rise in brightness and this moves with position of your eyes and because each eye have different position all VA panels have this shimmery false-stereoscopic thing going on on everything that is dark eg. this site is great example.

I had few VA panels because of supposed contrast ratio superiority and I was constantly wishing contrast ratio to be better like it was the issue. When I moved my head things appeared and disappeared and there was constant feeling I was missing some details I was supposed to see. Then I moved to IPS panel and all my issues disappeared, also with contrast ratio. Yeah, it could be better but so what? Any ambient light masks blacks completely black and having ambient light is good for your eyes. With VA ambient light did nothing to mitigate its issues with gamma being completely broken.

Like all panel types, the panels are not built equal. I have too had a VA panel with really bad gamma shift issues and horrible black crush problems. With my Samsung CRG9 I have none of those and I had to look at test pictures to be able to see vertical color shift. In everyday use it's been just completely unnoticeable. I think having a curved display helps here and Samsung has certainly put a lot of effort into their VA panels so they might be better than AUO's models.

When compared side by side with a TN panel that has similar contrast ratio to the new LG Nano-IPS panels, the TN has a noticeably flatter look to it. Of course these panels have good advantages in response times so it comes down to how you use them and what compromises you are willing to make.

If you want the best image quality, just buy the LG CX 48" OLED and deal with the size and burn-in possibility.

I get why some people don’t like VA panels, but those darker blacks really help with immersing you in the game. Smaller oled panels can’t come soon enough.

Back on topic, MSI mag241c, AOC c24g1, Samsung crg5.

I completely disagree
VA have worst pixel response times and more often than not exhibit visible overdrive artifacts, especially on skin tones which have this strange banding effect. VA panels have real struggle switching from black to dark tones and this cause dark streaks.

Then VA have gamma shift which not only makes them completely unusable for any color critical work but also break any advantage there is to having better contrast ratio.
View attachment 236339
View attachment 236340
On this image very dark tones are properly rendered in the middle (where your measurement device measure and calibrate panel) but then quickly rise in brightness and this moves with position of your eyes and because each eye have different position all VA panels have this shimmery false-stereoscopic thing going on on everything that is dark eg. this site is great example.

I had few VA panels because of supposed contrast ratio superiority and I was constantly wishing contrast ratio to be better like it was the issue. When I moved my head things appeared and disappeared and there was constant feeling I was missing some details I was supposed to see. Then I moved to IPS panel and all my issues disappeared, also with contrast ratio. Yeah, it could be better but so what? Any ambient light masks blacks completely black and having ambient light is good for your eyes. With VA ambient light did nothing to mitigate its issues with gamma being completely broken.

And yet most of the very high end TV's are VA's, except the OLED ones. And you are wrong about the color critical work, Eizo used to make quite a few monitors with VA panels. And the black crush when things disappear unless you move your head sideways is a calibration problem, your gamma curve is out of whack and can be fixed with a colorimeter. Those pictures make the horizontal gamma shift problem look much worse than it is for real, on a good quality VA panel.

The slow pixel response times is true though, but even that is made worse by the shit that is made for monitors. I own an Samsung S34J550 ultrawide which is slow as molasses (a good example of stereotype VA panel I would say), nothing like the Eizo FG2421 I also own, which is really fast for a VA and with BFI is almost crystal clear.

I do not know what stuff you have used but your experience matches none of mine.

Back