Any concrete news on mobile GPUS incoming ?

Dahkoht

Limp Gawd
Sold my Asus ROG w/880m few months back and been using one of my extra's for work , as wanted to get a new replacement.

I've got a desktop gaming system , but as an engineer who also teaches Cisco/Networking classes a couple nights a week , there's often time for gaming while at work at various times so I've always liked having the option.

I noticed there was zero mentioned about mobile Pascal at the recent conference , and wondered if anyone has heard any rumors at all when it might be released ?

Have seen some 980m laptops dropping in price a bit and tempted to pull the trigger on one if it looks like its going to be a good ways off.

I'd imagine big updates are coming soon. Much lower wattage for either equal perf or more.

No word other than the AMD rebrands. Computex should have the new stuff.

Sold my Asus ROG w/880m few months back and been using one of my extra's for work , as wanted to get a new replacement.

I've got a desktop gaming system , but as an engineer who also teaches Cisco/Networking classes a couple nights a week , there's often time for gaming while at work at various times so I've always liked having the option.

I noticed there was zero mentioned about mobile Pascal at the recent conference , and wondered if anyone has heard any rumors at all when it might be released ?

Have seen some 980m laptops dropping in price a bit and tempted to pull the trigger on one if it looks like its going to be a good ways off.

I don't think any new mobile GPU will be significantly faster than the desktop 980 MXM versions, at least in the beginning. They'll probably release the mainstream mobile GPUs first which will be at best as powerful as a 980M (guesstimate), which is still way short of the desktop 980. If you have the cash to splash you can always get the SKU with 980 SLI from MSI, lol. That'll blow away any upcoming mobile GPU for a while yet.

One caveat to think about is that the new mobile GPUs will be very power efficient, so you can probably have 3-4 hours of 980M performance on a modest 15" instead of the monster 17/18 inchers.

I think you can expect Polaris varients incoming in June or July. Rumors vary, but there will likely be a P11 (mid-range; x470m, x480m) and P10 (high-end; x490m) cards. There will also be an m485x bit that's hardly worth mentioning since it's just a refreshed m285x/m385x. Just guessing, but you're probably looking at desktop 390 performance in the m490x which is quite a step up from your 880m.

As for nV, there will surely be a Pascal refresh. I'm guessing the top end will be a cut-down 1070. Let's call that GTX1080m

As usual, nV top end mobile card will likely out class AMD's, but will be a good deal pricier.

Only as above. Wait till next month, AMD mayyy have something out at computex for mobile but I doubt it.

Any of you guys think that there will be a 1070 Mini in the market by third parties? Kind of like the 970 minis?

Appreciate the info and advice. I keep up usually on the desktop side of things , and moderately on the laptop side just seemed like a bit of confusion on the AMD upcoming with rebadges just released and so on.

Not really stressed about the weight/power issue , as I've got some crappy leftover laptops to use in a phone closet hooked up during cuts or whatever , but am thinking about instead of waiting for Pascal mobile keeping eyes out for a sale on one with a 980m or something. Will be sticking at 1080p (desktop is 4k) , so thinking the 980m would hold out for a while at least.

Any of you guys think that there will be a 1070 Mini in the market by third parties? Kind of like the 970 minis?

The 1080 draws 180W, so 1070 probably draws 160W or less. Basically identical TDP to the 970 so it shouldn't be a problem. However, the thing is that PCBs have to be redesigned to meet the more strict power delivery requirements of Pascal, so it might be a while yet.

The GTX 680m was announced in June 2012, about three months after the desktop part. And reviews in actual shipping notebooks appeared in August/September. I wouldn't expect retail availability of the 1080m from OEMs until October/November or so.

The GTX 980m was available in shipping notebooks just a couple months after the desktop part was released, but that was on a mature process node with about 15w lower power consumption. I'm thinking we'll be more like Kepler here.

On the upside, the cut 1080m should be able to get by fine on GDDR5 (just like the 1070). That should speed up availability, and likely help with power consumption.

Last edited:
Im actually more excited for the low end. Ive been eying something like the ASUS UX303UB which is a nice 13" ultrabook with the 940m. Id like to see the 1040m or polaris equivalent in that, as for the sub 30watt market I expect HUGE gains.

There's always that Razor laptops that allow you to add in the desktop VGA via CORE.
At least you know that you will be future proof with that :D

Im actually more excited for the low end. Ive been eying something like the ASUS UX303UB which is a nice 13" ultrabook with the 940m. Id like to see the 1040m or polaris equivalent in that, as for the sub 30watt market I expect HUGE gains.

You'll be waiting the same period of time for Polaris 11. Late fall at the earliest.

Also, the performance of these super-ultra-portable "gaming" systems like the Surface Book are NOT JUST limited by TDP. They are limited by the size of the 4 chips it would require to feed a more powerful GPU with a 128-bit bus.

Luckily for you, Nvidia has you covered. Their second-gen Delta Chroma Compression (DCC) should allow for GTX 750 Ti performance levels using the same 64-bit GDDR5 bandwidth the GT 940 uses. You'll just have to wait until GP108 is released :D

AMD should manage a much better DCC than their underwhelming first effort, but nothing has been announced. I seriously doubt they'll catch up.

For reference, here is the amount of space dedicated to 64-bit GDDR5 chips on the Surface Book

https://hardforum.com/proxy/CKbSwA7n6N9xrek7xZZxd8+m9IR2d34MM1oK40Tn/image.png

One thing I CAN say for sure about Polaris 11 availability:

The channel is completely cleared out of 370 and 270x cards. JUST LOOK AT NEWEGG, shelves are empty!

That's the performance level Polaris 11 is aiming at, so expect it very soon!

There's always that Razor laptops that allow you to add in the desktop VGA via CORE.
At least you know that you will be future proof with that :D
Yeah I saw that, but thats way more than I need. I need a ultraportable for business and pleasure, I have a large Desktop for my main gaming needs.

But that doesnt mean I dont want to pull up a DOTA 2 or Overwatch game while traveling, and Id like the best performance I can get. I was hoping we would finally see large movement in this sector thanks to the smaller processes.

I think you can expect Polaris varients incoming in June or July. Rumors vary, but there will likely be a P11 (mid-range; x470m, x480m) and P10 (high-end; x490m) cards. There will also be an m485x bit that's hardly worth mentioning since it's just a refreshed m285x/m385x. Just guessing, but you're probably looking at desktop 390 performance in the m490x which is quite a step up from your 880m.

As for nV, there will surely be a Pascal refresh. I'm guessing the top end will be a cut-down 1070. Let's call that GTX1080m

As usual, nV top end mobile card will likely out class AMD's, but will be a good deal pricier.

I'm going to quote myself here because, well, I was wrong on 1080m being a cutdown G104... Nvidia Geforce GTX 1080M Pascal Mobility Flagship Inbound - ASUS Teases Pascal Based Laptop Faster Than The GTX TITAN X

Willikers, that's gonna be one heckofa mobile chip, and if this is what's in the Nintendo NX I'm getting one.

Damn and I just bought a laptop for light mobile gaming, wtf now I have huge buyers remorse. Should I return take the 15% hit now and wait for pascal GXXXXm?

Damn and I just bought a laptop for light mobile gaming, wtf now I have huge buyers remorse. Should I return take the 15% hit now and wait for pascal GXXXXm?

The 1080m (and 1070m) will surely be the high-end. You're looking at $1600+ laptops.

But yeah, im guessing the mid-range pascals are going to be great, the "1060m" maybe performing in the range of a gtx 960 desktop.

Thatvlooks about right for a non-reduced underclocked 1080 chip. Gonna guess that's what nV's top end mobile chip is going to be.

If desktop 1080 is priced at $700, I shudder to think what 1080m is going to cost. I would not be surpised if the gpu edges over half the cost of some laptops.

I can only imagine with the lower TDP we could see 1:1 performance ratio between desktop and mobile gpus

Back