Any chance a new Quake game announced at QuakeCon?

Zorachus

[H]F Junkie
Wonerding and hoping we will get a new next gen Quake game announced at next months QuakeCon, which is Aug. 10-13 in Texas.

Nothing would seem to suggest that we will. Given the reception to Quake Champions, which just only released out of early access last year, I don't see how any additional effort would be put into the franchise despite some people clamoring for a new single player experience. I would be pleasantly surprised if there is one announced, especially if it goes back to its Lovecraftian roots, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.
I thought I was reading rumours about a Quake 2 remake; Personally would love to see a Quake sequel announced.
An outsourced remaster in the vein of the original Quake was what I saw. id doesn't do remakes.

Only rumors I read last year, was that a Quake remake would go back to the Q1 style of medieval theme of dark horror style, mixed with modern style and Nine Inch Nails type music.

At last years QuakeCon there were strong rumors of a new Quake game announcement, but nothing was.

Nothing would seem to suggest that we will. Given the reception to Quake Champions, which just only released out of early access last year, I don't see how any additional effort would be put into the franchise despite some people clamoring for a new single player experience. I would be pleasantly surprised if there is one announced, especially if it goes back to its Lovecraftian roots, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

An outsourced remaster in the vein of the original Quake was what I saw. id doesn't do remakes.
Yeah they did a enhanced re-release of Quake in 2021, so I doubt anything is being done anytime soon with that.
I think it would be cool if they made a Quake II: BFG Edition like they did with Doom 3.

Doom 3 BFG was worse than the original, though...
I was talking about the Lost Mission and not having to hack the game to give it WS support, plus having Resurrection of Evil in the main game.
Yeah the duct tape mod sucked and so did the erasing of the good parts from Hell, but I know plenty of peeps that wouldn't play the OG due to having to juggle the flashlight and the weapons at the same time.
I bought it the day it dropped since I loved the OG, biased? Maybe.

Quake remastered would be nice problem with Quake Champions just too flashy and fast.

Quake Champions was a failure. I don't see it happening.
A new Unreal Tournament got cancelled when Fortnite blew up, but it never got any real funding to begin with.
Basically every classic style arena shooter has failed to get a decent audience.
They tried by adding the weird shit to Quake Champions and it didn't work. Not only did it not work, it pissed people off that wanted a more classic experience.

Your best bet for arena shooters is from indy developers with small budgets. They can make a good game and a profit, but it's never going to be a big mainstream game like Quake 3 Arena or Unreal Tournament were.

Making arena shooters is trivial with something like Unreal Engine. You could probably make a Quake 3 arena clone in UE5 in a month by following youtube videos. With no game or programming experience. The only thing hard to do would be replicating the exact glitches/physics jank if you actually want a true 1:1 clone.

Sadly I know it would never happen and it is just us wanting nostalgia, but literally remaking Quake Arena 1:1 with purely a new engine under it to update the graphics, leaving all game mechanics alone.....
With all the updates to the engine for Quake Live may as well be a new engine. It looks quite impressive compared to the original Quake III.
Quake Champions was a failure. I don't see it happening.
A new Unreal Tournament got cancelled when Fortnite blew up, but it never got any real funding to begin with.
Basically every classic style arena shooter has failed to get a decent audience.
They tried by adding the weird shit to Quake Champions and it didn't work. Not only did it not work, it pissed people off that wanted a more classic experience.

Your best bet for arena shooters is from indy developers with small budgets. They can make a good game and a profit, but it's never going to be a big mainstream game like Quake 3 Arena or Unreal Tournament were.

Making arena shooters is trivial with something like Unreal Engine. You could probably make a Quake 3 arena clone in UE5 in a month by following youtube videos. With no game or programming experience. The only thing hard to do would be replicating the exact glitches/physics jank if you actually want a true 1:1 clone.
I agree, but I don't think most people want yet another multiplayer Quake. Based on my observation most want a new single player experience. With how they fucked up Champions I'm not even sure the people at id know what Quake is anymore.

Would prefer a real sequel to the original Quake, wonder why ID never bothered making one. A sequel to Quake 2/4 with the Strogg would also be fine with me as well since I actually liked the Strogg storyline.

Didn't care for Quake 3 and Champions as I'm not really into multiplayer shooter games.

Hmm so what is this?

Attachments

• RDT_20230801_1936158784570277742507072.png
    RDT_20230801_1936158784570277742507072.png
    328.1 KB · Views: 0
Only rumors I read last year, was that a Quake remake would go back to the Q1 style of medieval theme of dark horror style, mixed with modern style and Nine Inch Nails type music.

At last years QuakeCon there were strong rumors of a new Quake game announcement, but nothing was.
That would have been my preference. I hated the Wish.com Borg in Quake II. I did enjoy Q3 Arena, though I played a lot more Unreal Tournament than Q3. Quake 4 was an absolute shit show in my opinion. It was a decent enough single player experience for one run through and its multiplayer was trash.

A Quake ][ remaster is supposed to be announced and also released next week at quakecon.

And everyone is strongly speculating. They will also announce a next generation brand new Quake game being in development.

I'd rather see id work on a new ip...Doom Eternal was a fitting end to the trilogy so I was hoping they would move on to something new

That is Quake II RTX. It's literally the first screenshot on the Steam page. It says it's from Steam in the caption.

1691149459030.png

The article also doesn't reveal any new information. Like I said at the top of the thread, we've already seen info about a proper Quake II remaster, there just has been no confirmation of it yet. The Quake remaster was released the day it was revealed at Quakecon in 2021, so it would track.

I'd rather see id work on a new ip...Doom Eternal was a fitting end to the trilogy so I was hoping they would move on to something new

Doom somewhat had a coherent plot line and continuity in a way Quake never did. Quake is also very divided between those who liked the entire sci-fi body horror aspect of Quake 2 and those who really loved the Eldritch Horror aspect of Quake 1. Then those who just really loved Quake 3 MP. While id tried to make Quake 4 a Quake 2 sequel it was a flop at SP and MP. Quake Champions wasn't bad, but it also wasn't what people wanted.

IMHO they need an SP game that comes out with basic DM and TDM MP. I'd go back to Quake 1 style personally.

Doom somewhat had a coherent plot line and continuity in a way Quake never did. Quake is also very divided between those who liked the entire sci-fi body horror aspect of Quake 2 and those who really loved the Eldritch Horror aspect of Quake 1. Then those who just really loved Quake 3 MP. While id tried to make Quake 4 a Quake 2 sequel it was a flop at SP and MP. Quake Champions wasn't bad, but it also wasn't what people wanted.

IMHO they need an SP game that comes out with basic DM and TDM MP. I'd go back to Quake 1 style personally.
The Quake IV single player was good. I liked it more than Quake II.

Not going to lie, I kind of want Call of Doom to see the light of day.

The Quake IV single player was good. I liked it more than Quake II.

You're one of the few. It was slow, no trick jumping, had squads, reloading, and all sorts of other "not Quake" stuff. It had some interesting moments, but it wasn't Quake.

I liked Quake 4 for what it was, not a Quake game, but I also realize I'm in the minority there.

They could make an amazing Quake in the current Doom engine though.

I'm so buying Q2 remaster ASAP

Will my RTX 4080 be able to run it smooth @ 3440 X 1440?

I'm so buying Q2 remaster ASAP

Will my RTX 4080 be able to run it smooth @ 3440 X 1440?
Assuredly. It will most likely be similar to the Quake remaster, with nothing fancy like ray tracing since we already have the RTX version.

I sure hope, and expect a major announcement of a brand new next gen Quake game as well, by the same team that did Doom-Eternal.

It includes Quake II 64, just as Quake master included Quake 64. It also includes a new campaign with both original expansion packs included. I imagine the update will be released on schedule since it seems Gematsu blew their wad early.

UPDATE: The update is available for the PC version on the Microsoft Store now, but is not yet on Steam.
https://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/store/quake-ii/9P7L9H478GGV/0010

UPDATE 2: Looks like it is on Steam now, as the price was increased from $4.99 to $9.99 and the description was updated. It's a free update if you already own the game.

UPDATE 3: It's now live on GOG and still at the discounted price of $1.64 if you don't have the original game yet, for some reason.
https://www.gog.com/en/game/quake_ii_quad_damage

UPDATE 4: The price of the GOG version now matches the other storefronts at $9.99, with a discounted price of $4.99.

Last edited:
The only thing I'm impressed with is the available now. But this will be great for the long time fan's that want to give it a go on newer systems.

The only thing I'm impressed with is the available now. But this will be great for the long time fan's that want to give it a go on newer systems.
It looks like it was given the same attention as the Quake remaster, so it's worth it for anybody. Being able to play the game along with the music without needing to play around with a source port is certainly a boon. The updated graphics and effects are a nice bonus.

Looks like that is it for the announcements, so no new game as expected. The two things were the Q2R, giveaway of Starfield edition 7800X3D and 7900 XTX.

Isn't this convention going on a few days? Maybe an announcement tomorrow?

Back