Any advantage to using FFDShow + Zoom for Xvid (not DVD)

neoreturns

[H]ard|Gawd
I know with FFDShow and Zoom Pro you can get DVDs to look significantly better if you have a fast PC (w/ lanczos), but is there any benefit to using this combination + tweaked FFDShow with your run of the mill xvid movies?

My best guess is no since they're already of pretty average quality? But maybe someone will prove me wrong here. Thanks

umm....I guess you could try it and see?

I'd search some of the HTPC sites for an answer to that question though...you're likely to find it already answered on a dedicated HTPC forum.

but I would think that depending on the postfiltering options you choose, it could improve it a bit, but not a tremendous amount. I would imagine that re-sizing it to HD would make it look like ass...but I've never tried it. Some de-noise and unsharp mask would at least clean it up a bit. I've also noticed a bit of an improvement on the "postprocessing" options (where you can setup the deblocking). Set it to the far left, and then select the Intelligent deblocking method (I think that's what it's called, I run it on my laptop but it's at work).

I might be one of the few crazy ones but I don't like using lanczos, I find the "Rings" (or are they lobes..?) annoying. I perfer to use Bicubic since it looks just like lanczos without the rings and the high CPU usage.

Anyways....

I watch alot of fansubbed anime as well as DLed HDTV and FFDShow makes a world's of difference when watching them.

CrimandEvil said:
I might be one of the few crazy ones but I don't like using lanczos, I find the "Rings" (or are they lobes..?) annoying. I perfer to use Bicubic since it looks just like lanczos without the rings and the high CPU usage.

Anyways....

I watch alot of fansubbed anime as well as DLed HDTV and FFDShow makes a world's of difference when watching them.

Yeah for HDTV lanczos is really nice. As well as DVDs the difference is very noticeable. I registered on AVS forums but honestly I don't find that site to be too helpful most people are just there for their own benefit. I suppose I'll register on HTPC news.

I found that on animated type movies like SharkTale that Lanzcos looks really good...but for regular movies, I use Bicubic for the same reasons CrimandEvil mentioned.

Back