Antivirus Recommendations

Holy crap! It has literally been days since a "best AV?" thread has been started. I was starting to worry!

Anyway,

Yet another +1 for MSE

Last edited:
Script Malware

Avira = 91.6%
Avast = 95.5%
AVG = 60.0%
BitDefender = 89.1%
eScan = 89.1%
F-Secure = 89.2%
G-Data = 99.7%
K7 = 42.4%
Kaspersky = 90.9%
Kingsoft = 17.6%
McAfee = 66.9%
NOD32 = 82.9%
Norman = 63.7%
Norton = 89.9%
Panda = 40.8%
MSE = 77.2%
Sophos = 66.1%
SpywareDoctor = 90.0%
Trend Micro = 76.7%
TrustPort = 91.0%

Script Malware

Avira = 91.6%
Avast = 95.5%
AVG = 60.0%
BitDefender = 89.1%
eScan = 89.1%
F-Secure = 89.2%
G-Data = 99.7%
K7 = 42.4%
Kaspersky = 90.9%
Kingsoft = 17.6%
McAfee = 66.9%
NOD32 = 82.9%
Norman = 63.7%
Norton = 89.9%
Panda = 40.8%
MSE = 77.2%
Sophos = 66.1%
SpywareDoctor = 90.0%
Trend Micro = 76.7%
TrustPort = 91.0%

neat

Nowwwww, what do these percentages represent?
Amount detected?
Amount NOT detected?
Amount taken out to a nice dinner by aforementioned AV program?
Amount date raped after said dinner by aforementioned AV program?

I trust MSE since it's a Microsoft product, and honestly, there isn't another company on the planet that knows more about Windows - down to the very bits themselves...

No disagreement there. Unfortunately they don't write the malware so no advantage over any other company on that one.

8megs memory usage isn't "as light as everyone claims it is?"
and not as effective as everyone claims? av-comparitives.org disagrees.
MSE has consistently scored "Advanced" by their testing

wait, so you mean there's AV apps out there that get absolutely 0 false positives and 100% detection rate? Which ones?
Sure, MSE defs have probably screwed up a few times. But so has Symantec/Norton, Sophos, AVG, and probably just about every other AV out there.

Memory usage really has little to nothing to do with how light it is. It's all about the disk I/O that I am complaining about.

I never claimed any other product was perfect but I do prefer the paid suites for their additional features, higher detection rates, and more frequent updates. I do recommend MSE to those that I know refuse to spend any money.

"Best" is subjective and ratings change every year.

Pick a good AV program, update it regularly. Perform scans on a regular basis, also use a secondary scanner like Malwarebytes or Superantispyware, and that's about the best you can do.

MSE's is on mom's PC.

Avast or Avira for the rest I maintain.

A Fatwallet poster posted how to get AVAST free for 9 months. See below.

Pardon my newbie self if this link violates any posting policy I am not aware of.

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1112360/

Source? Are you a G-Data shill?

G-Data has almost always been the top performer but produces a ridiculous number of false positives and relatively mediocre scanning speeds at best.

Personally, I just run Kaspersky + Sandboxie.

AV-TEST Product Review and Certification Report - 2011/Q2
http://www.av-test.org/certifications

BitDefender with a perfect score for protection and the highest marks all around... how very interesting indeed. Apparently they've come a very long way since the last time I had to deal with this utterly atrocious software about 5 years ago.

I still trust AV-Comparitives a bit more than other sites, so hopefully they'll be doing a full on test here again soon. They did a test in June but Microsoft Security Essentials wasn't included; I think the reasoning for that was Microsoft was just about to (and did) release a more updated version of the app (2.1.1116.0) and decided not to participate with the older version.

We'll see what happens...

BitDefender with a perfect score for protection and the highest marks all around... how very interesting indeed. Apparently they've come a very long way since the last time I had to deal with this utterly atrocious software about 5 years ago.

I believe they have come a long way but I'm still not a fan. It is and always has been way to heavy to use.

I have used free Avast on my computer for years. I also weekly run Malwarebytes and SuperAntispyware just to make sure everything is ok. I game online and haven't had any problems.

I just want an AV with a light footprint that will do the job and try to practice safe online habits.

My vote is for Avast.

I recently switched from Avast to MSE because Avast was no longer recognized by my Cisco NAC agent... go figure. Previously I had AVG, which I replaced with Avast... The corporate version of symantec is also pretty resource light.

Back