Anti Freeze?

y3k

Weaksauce
Is it possible to use Anti Freeze in a water cooling system? If so, what would happen?

Is it possible to use Anti Freeze in a water cooling system? If so, what would happen?

Stupid question, but how do you plan on achieving the temps for the "ANTI-Freeze" to kick in? I, for one, would be utterly delighted if my temps would make the water freeze.....

Stupid question, but how do you plan on achieving the temps for the "ANTI-Freeze" to kick in? I, for one, would be utterly delighted if my temps would make the water freeze.....

Me too.

Yes, you can use automotive coolant in your loop, but there is absolutely no benifit in doing so. What will happen? Most likely nothing, assuming you maintain your system correctly.

Distilled water is your best bet, in my opinion.

The only reason to use anti-freeze in your loop is for its anti-corrosion & anti-bactirial properties.
Max concentration of less than 5% works best.

If your going sub-zero with your temps then a methanol based windscreen washer fluid works better than anti-freeze.

Luck ........... :D

You can add more anti-freeze to the distilled water if you're aiming at a particular shade of colour visable through your tubing - at the cost of cooling performance of course.

In the pic below, the pint glass contains a rough 50/50 mix of 'anti-freeze & summer coolant' and distilled water. The loops contain a 20/80 mix; seen as too high by some folk, but I have mixed metals and a penchant for that particular shade of blue :p .

stage_94.jpg

You should put at least 5% Antifreeze to kill anything that tries to grow in your loop...

More than that should be required when mixing metals.

Back