Antec Sonata Power Supplies

DeathFromBelow

Supreme [H]ardness
Am I correct in thinking there were problems with Antec's Truepower series awhile back?

My brother has a Sonata case and the power supply just caught on fire the other day, literally. Sparks and flames shot out the back and the plug-in is melted. I've built 7 computers for others in Sonata I and II cases around the same time, and I had one come back about a month ago with a dead power supply. Fortunately it didn't go out with a bang like my brother's did.

My understanding is that the Sonata cases have a modified Truepower power supply with a single fan instead of two. Both of these systems were well ventilated and weren't overloaded with components. Does it sound like a fluke, or should I be worried about the other systems? Should I call around and offer power supply replacements?

My Sonata II case came with a Smart Power SP-450 supply. It has 2 fans. After reading about all the problems, including catching fire, with these supplies I removed it after only 1 week of use and replaced it with a Seasonic S12 650W.

Back