Antec NSK6500 build/review [56K]

_Korruption_

Supreme [H]ardness
(copied from my thread over at SilentPCReview)

Like many, I was interested in the new SOLO case that Antec was releasing. My reasons?

- I liked the way it looked
- It seemed like a good platform for the future (low-noise, good breathability, etc.)
- It is relatively cheap
- A PSU is not included

Anyway, I wanted to replace my aging Coolermaster Centurion. It wasn't a bad choice for low-noise operation, but I quickly got tired of the way it looked, and in it's stock configuration, the lower-front intake was horribly restricted. My oversized OCZ Powerstream sagged as it only had two mount points.

I held off on the SOLO purchase mainly because I didn't really like such a small case - I appreciate some extra room when working in and around components. The NSK6500 was introduced a little later on, and the only real differences that I could see were the extra inch or two in height, the lack of HDD suspension, sound insulation, and the included PSU. The lack of HDD suspension didn't bother me too much as the NSK6500 still featured the silicone HDD grommets (similar to the P180). I was sure they would do a good job.

I didn't use the included PSU as my OCZ 420W is more suited to powering +5V-heavy setups like mine (my motherboard doesn't have the 4-pin ATX12V connection).

The machine in question:

Asus A7N8X Deluxe Rev2 + Zalman NB47J
AMD AthlonXP 2500+M (overclocked from 1.83GHz to 2.2GHz @ 1.7V)
Thermalright SP-97 + 92mm Panaflo Medium @ 7V
2x 512MB Corsair XMS3200XL (2-2-2-5 @ 2.8V)
Sapphire Radeon 9700 + Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer (@ low)
Chaintech AV-710 soundcard
120GB Seagate 7200.7 PATA
250GB Seagate 7200.8 PATA
OCZ Powerstream 420W

Enough said, let's get onto the pics.

The box + environmentally friendly packing materials.
IMG_6337.JPG

IMG_6338.JPG

IMG_6339.JPG

IMG_6371.JPG

Less environmentally-friendly plastic.
IMG_6340.JPG

Unwrapped.
IMG_6343.JPG

Inside.
IMG_6353.JPG

The included SU-430 PSU -- It is a Seasonic. SPCR reviewed a similar model.
IMG_6354.JPG

The HDD cage, it is removable.
IMG_6356.JPG

All the necessary connections.
IMG_6357.JPG

Bag of screws taped down.
IMG_6359.JPG

IMG_6362.JPG

Front panel connectors.
IMG_6361.JPG

A storage space underneath the HDD cage, it may come in handy.
IMG_6366.JPG

The rear 120mm Tricool, mine in particular buzzes a bit.
IMG_6368.JPG

The front bezel off. It is quite difficult to remove, unlike the SLK3x00 cases.
IMG_6369.JPG

My old Coolermaster case beside.
IMG_6402.JPG

Poor filtering in the Coolermaster caused this.
IMG_6410.JPG

After cleaning.
IMG_6411.JPG

My oversized OCZ Powerstream 420W in. Extra long cables are a pain.
IMG_6413.JPG

2x 92mm Nexus fans.
IMG_6414.JPG

IMG_6415.JPG

My optical drive + floppy drive. The colours don't match 100%.
IMG_6421.JPG

Motherboard in.
IMG_6423.JPG

Some sloppy wire management.
IMG_6425.JPG

HDD trays.
IMG_6426.JPG

IMG_6427.JPG

IMG_6431.JPG

IMG_6432.JPG

Everything back in.
IMG_6434.JPG

Closed up. It matches my LCD very well.
IMG_6483.JPG

The front LEDs are quite bright, even though they are diffused.
IMG_6484.JPG

So yeah, please excuse my sloppy wire management. Things are placed well enough so that air has an almost direct path through the case. It is significantly quieter than my old Coolermaster... even though that setup utilized some drive suspension (seen here). It was well worth the $100 or so, in my opinion. Thanks for reading, hopefully I haven't killed your connections with the excessive images!

_Korruption_ said:
\ It was well worth the $100 or so, in my opinion. Thanks for reading, hopefully I haven't killed your connections with the excessive images!

according to this, seems like it cost around $100 or so.

how do u like the 92mm fans? are they whiney at all?

Seasonic makes the internals.

VERY nice case, I love teh front of it. Newer antec cases look so nice :)

Great review too.

Yeah I love this case, i just reviewed it actually....

It's very quiet, and it keeps things cool, and look great as well..

I'd love to get one of those.

Nicer than a Super Lan Boy, that's for sure.
Oh well, 35$ B stock isn't something to complain about.

all looks very nice, and man youre still stuntin an AXP :p and a powerstream for that system :eek:

strikeout said:
how do u like the 92mm fans? are they whiney at all?
They're Nexus fans, so they're very quiet. Very little bearing noise, no vibrations, and it moves enough air. I like them a lot.

N H O said:
all looks very nice, and man youre still stuntin an AXP :p and a powerstream for that system :eek:
Of course. I'd upgrade, but I'm a poor post-secondary student. So I do what I can to make the machine last. The Powerstream I think is a good choice. It's more suited to powering +5V setups.

_Korruption_ said:
Of course. I'd upgrade, but I'm a poor post-secondary student. So I do what I can to make the machine last. The Powerstream I think is a good choice. It's more suited to powering +5V setups.
lol i think its a bit overkill for an AXP set up :eek:

NickS said:
Seasonic makes the internals.

VERY nice case, I love teh front of it. Newer antec cases look so nice :)

Great review too.

nice build. afaik seasonic makes their NeoHE and their Trio line. i think channel well is the oem for other units.

i love the setup but damn, why o why does it have to be steel. no love for aluminum :(

N H O said:
lol i think its a bit overkill for an AXP set up :eek:
It is somewhat... I'm not a big fan of the efficiency and extra-long wrapped cables. Otherwise it is pretty solid.

ThirtySixBelow said:
Does that thing really have that much more room than the SOLO. If so, how much are we talking?
Officially, the NSK6500 is 0.8" taller. Where it is important is the space between the top of the motherboard and bottom of the PSU. The SOLO has pretty much no room there, the NSK6500 on the other hand, has about an inch of room. You can see it in one of the images once the motherboard is installed.

strikeout said:
i love the setup but damn, why o why does it have to be steel. no love for aluminum :(
Steel is quieter, simple as that.

_Korruption_ said:
Officially, the NSK6500 is 0.8" taller. Where it is important is the space between the top of the motherboard and bottom of the PSU. The SOLO has pretty much no room there, the NSK6500 on the other hand, has about an inch of room. You can see it in one of the images once the motherboard is installed.
werd, they have no idea how cramped the solo is, there is almost no room for anything and you cant put a full atx mobo in it, you have to put it in at an angle which can be a bitch

does the hard drive rack have a vibration? One of the annoyances of my Lian-Li 7B Plus II is the floor based hard drive rack suffered from vibration due to the HDs before I put a little rubber underneath. I am very critical of that kind of thing now.

The hard drive rack seems to be made of a thicker-gauge steel than the rest of the case. Combined with the silicone grommets, there is a negligible amount of vibration (it is there if you look for it). Under heavy seeking (like in a defrag), you won't feel anything big. Those grommets are good.

hrm, looks very nice, its only missin the glossy paint job of the solo and seems alot more roomy (one of the reasons why i didnt get a solo) :D

Isn't the front very cheap feeling though being all plastic? How is the airflow with only the ventilation being provided as a small gap between the front of the case and the actual chassis?

I don't mind it at all. I just don't abuse my cases. ;) At least there isn't a door to break.

Airflow is quite good, the two 92mm fans pull in quite a bit of air to keep my drives more than happy.

Props for still using AthlonXP and Radeon 9700! Looks like a great case for my recent
upgrade to Core2. My previous AthlonXP (2.3Ghz @ 1.55v) setup now resides in an Antec
Fusion for HTPC duties sporting Radeon 9800.

C Snyder

Back