Antec Aria

I hate to beat the Aria thread to death, but I'm considering building one and am concerned, of course, about cooling. I'm not prepared to mod the case, but I was wondering if it'll be sufficient to stick a Zalman 7700 on my A64 3200+ and an NV Silencer 6 on my 6600 GT and run the slot fan? For that matter, will both coolers fit?

Thanks.

Sir Nagrom said:
For your Zalman, what was the orange stuff behind your grill?

~´§ sIR nAGROM §`~

I found your pic's of the whole case and I figured it out. Good Job! I’m just glad I looked for what others did before I started to work on mine. I was going to get the same fan grills as you. I want mine to be a one of a kind and it would have looked just like yours. So I found something different, something that will add to the room look as well. I thought at first that you had some kind of a filter underneath your fan grill, but the pic’s you have explained it all to me. I will need to post my MOD after I get it done.

PEACE…

~´§ sIR nAGROM §`~

Yes, I used the Zalman fan grills because they came with those 80mm "slim" fans. That is the only reason I used them. :p

I can't wait to see your Aria. Please post some pics as soon as you get them.

i have a 3400+, 9800pro, 80gig 7200, and i use one of the zalman 92mm coolers on the CPU. and i have not problems with over heating

Have you had issues when tranporting your computer to lan partys such as the heatsink shifting.

First I appologize for bringing this thread back from the dead, but I just got an ARIA not too long ago.

I've heard the PSU fan is REALLY weak and I've been experiencing the same thing. I have a 2.8GHz P4 Socket 775 (511) with the stock intel CPU fan. When I didn't install the additional Cyclone Blower in the PCI slot and only used the PSU fan for ventilation, at idle, the CPU temp would reach the high 40's! That's bad mmmkay....

After I installed the Cyclone blower in the PCI slot, the cpu now idles at 41 or 42, and at 100% load, it gets up to around 50. This is more reasonable to me.

Like I said, I acknowledge the PSU fan is pretty weak, but I was surprised the Cyclone blower made such a big difference, especially since a lot of the reviews that I read said the Cyclone blower didn't make much of a difference. When I put my hand behind the cyclone blower, it feels like it is pushing out more air than the PSU fan when I put my hand behind the PSU fan. Does this mean something is wrong with my PSU fan? The hardware monitor shows the PSU fan is rotating at 1200RPM which is normal according to ANTEC.

I've also heard people swapping out the PSU fan, does this mean they opened up the PSU and put in another fan?

pdp76 said:
First I appologize for bringing this thread back from the dead, but I just got an ARIA not too long ago.

I've heard the PSU fan is REALLY weak and I've been experiencing the same thing. I have a 2.8GHz P4 Socket 775 (511) with the stock intel CPU fan. When I didn't install the additional Cyclone Blower in the PCI slot and only used the PSU fan for ventilation, at idle, the CPU temp would reach the high 40's! That's bad mmmkay....

After I installed the Cyclone blower in the PCI slot, the cpu now idles at 41 or 42, and at 100% load, it gets up to around 50. This is more reasonable to me.

Like I said, I acknowledge the PSU fan is pretty weak, but I was surprised the Cyclone blower made such a big difference, especially since a lot of the reviews that I read said the Cyclone blower didn't make much of a difference. When I put my hand behind the cyclone blower, it feels like it is pushing out more air than the PSU fan when I put my hand behind the PSU fan. Does this mean something is wrong with my PSU fan? The hardware monitor shows the PSU fan is rotating at 1200RPM which is normal according to ANTEC.

I've also heard people swapping out the PSU fan, does this mean they opened up the PSU and put in another fan?
My guess...You got one amazing Cyclone blower, becuase mine could barely stir up a fart let alone push enough air to make any temp differances.

ridsco said:
My guess...You got one amazing Cyclone blower, becuase mine could barely stir up a fart let alone push enough air to make any temp differances.
Lol! Well said.

"Weak" = quiet. That's a good thing. The bad thing is the case has no intakes, basically no vents and no other exhausts. The fan actually says it's like .34A, which would be a medium speed 120mm, but the PSU circuitry slows it down big time. So you would have to drop in an ultra high speed to really get an increase.

120mm fans also = more surface area, so ya, if you stick your hand right next to it, it will feel weaker than that puny blower, because it's not directed.

Swapping the fan would mean undoing a whopping 12 screws, dropping in a new fan, taking some scissors to cut off the yellow wire connector on the 3 pin fan header and redoing 12 screws. Not really hard and you can take out that stupid extra fan guard that drastically restricts airflow.

ridsco said:
Haha, funny.... but here's the thing, since my cyclone blower seems to be actually doing something, it could mean like what you said, I have a super cyclone blower, or because something is wrong with my PSU fan... Maybe I'll try replacing the PSU fan and see what happens.

I had 2 of the Antec aria's version 1 and the version 2 both of them suck. My problems were that I have 2 7200 rpm hard drives and a dvd burner in the case the temps were horribly high while gaming. So I got out a drill and put a blowhole on the side opposite the cpu and put a 80mm antec fan there. This cooled the temps barely but the hard drives would run hotter than usual. Didn't want to take a chance in burning out the hard drives due to extreme temps so now my antec is empty and in a corner until I get a new case. I have read on some of the forum posts where several users have hard drive failures due to the extreme heat. Does anyone know how to mod this case for better airflow?

How do you add exhaust etc. this would be a great help. IT would be better if antec did a re-design of the entire case. Keeping the form factor but making room for better airflow.

On a lighter note. I also have the Aspire Q-Pack case and its pretty nice. Better airflow and good cooling and very mod able. some have complained about the power supply but I have had no problems with it. It would be nice if Aspire just left the power supply out and lowered the price of the q-pack. also note that you can use a normal atx power supply witht the q-pack as long as it stays a certain size

I'm getting a version 1 free from a friend (it was used for a review), I expect to spends some time modding it and working out some of the heat issues it tends to have. :)

ALYNCH75 said:
I had 2 of the Antec aria's version 1 and the version 2 both of them suck. My problems were that I have 2 7200 rpm hard drives and a dvd burner in the case the temps were horribly high while gaming. (snip)....

.....On a lighter note. I also have the Aspire Q-Pack case and its pretty nice. Better airflow and good cooling and very mod able. some have complained about the power supply but I have had no problems with it.... (snip)

Exact same results here.
Finally gave up on making Aria a decent gaming rig, and stripped it down to onboard video NF2 spare LAN rig. Used it for NASCAR Racing 2003 Season Lan parties every other Saturday night, for about 6 hours each session. Lasted about 3 months, or less than 40 hours of light use, then power supply died (same as many others reported on Newegg reviews). Then the real fun started. Since it's proprietary, could not swap out with another. Antec no longer cross ships. Had to send it back to them to inspect, then wait for them to send out another. Took about 3 weeks. Traded it for a CPU the next day.

Next up, X-QPack. Again, same results as you. Works great, even with stock power supply. It is now running a Jetway A210 Pro with Opteron 146 @ 2900MHz, and ATi x800 PCIe. Zero problems or issues. Did the 7v mod on the 120mm fan, still plenty cool, and it is now very quiet as well.

There is only one version of the ARIA. Add intake/exhaust to both sides of the case and it makes a big difference. Also cutting out the honey comb grille and/or removing the fan grill on the PSU help with temps. Dremels can always fix airflow problems. ;)

I have the first one and the 2nd one. the newer aria has a honycomb cutout on the top of the case over the power supply. the frist ones that shipped did not have this.

Did you buy it secondhand from someone? Never seen or heard of it, except when people modded it themselves.

Id like to see a pic of this "second version".

As I had one...and put my own grille above the power supply.

Yeah they have a second version, I've seen one bought directly from retail with the vents above the PSU. I think I even saw someone around here who had one (maybe in the HTPC subforum?).

Okay even when you do what you say about adding the exhaust I have added a blowhole on each side of the case and the temps fall slightly the issues that i had was the hard drives were getting way too hot. Even at 7200 RPM 57 degrees celcus is way high for a hard drive. now when the hard drives are in teh Q-pack The temp is no where near that level

I had 15K hard drives in there for a few months that were running sub-50s. Then again, I have 2*120mm fans. :D Did you have fans running on each side or just open vents? One did die, but it was an eBay drive and the heads were crashing occasionally the day I got it.

Does the V2 still have the same goofy-beveled plastic top, or did they change it at all?

Back