Another remote desktop thread...

TeK-FX

Limp Gawd
I have setup a small business consisting of a back office computer along with 4 tough screen POS terminals connected through a switch. Now I have it setup so that myself or the owner can remotely log into the back office computer without a problem. The thing we would like to do now is to be able to remotely control the other 4 terminals without logging them off (Microsoft Remote Desktop). So I am looking for an alternative that can fulfill this requirement. I am trying RealVNC but no matter what I do I cannot connect to any of the terminals from the back office computer. I get connection timeout errors. I can ping my machines and see them through the Windows network as well as move files back and forth.

My network setup is:

Back office computer.
2 NICs. One for internet and one for LAN.
Using a DLINK 16 port router for LAN.
4 Posiflex touch screen terminals running WinXP Pro.

My firewalls are open for my subnet with all the appropriate ports opened but I am still stumped. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you very much.

Are the VNC ports allowed on the windows firewall of the host machine? So that host mode is allowed to sit and answer on...I forget VNC ports...think it's 5900.

When you hover over the VNC icon in the tray on the computer you are trying to connect to, what does it tell you? Does it give you an IP?

Check the client machines firewall rules. Make sure the VNC program is allow to go through it. Like stated before me.... the default port is 5900.

Try connecting via the IP Address of the client.... if that doesn't work, try using the computer's name... ie. "Client2" or whatever you named it when you set up the Windows box.

I'm almost 99% sure the Client's firewall is blocking you... Quick test is to turn of the client windows firewall for a minute... try to connect via VNC from the back office.... if it works.... bam, there's your answer.

Yep, definitely a firewall issue. Turn taht service off and give it a whirl.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will check them out tomorrow when I go look at the setup and post an update.

Turned out to be the terminal's firewall. I took turb0's advice and disabled the firewall and it worked. These terminals have no access to the internet, just the LAN. Do you think it would be ok to leave the firewalls off on the terminals? No special software is running besides a copy of the POS software and windows.Thanks again everybody.

Turned out to be the terminal's firewall. I took turb0's advice and disabled the firewall and it worked. These terminals have no access to the internet, just the LAN. Do you think it would be ok to leave the firewalls off on the terminals? No special software is running besides a copy of the POS software and windows.Thanks again everybody.

I'm sure there's at least 1 terminal with access to the internet? I'd keep them up.

Glad I could help.

I would keep the firewalls up just in case. Just make a rule for the Firewall to allow the port 5900 to be open for VNC server/viewer to work. I do that for my remote office in Fort Worth. Works like a charm!

Also, one personal experience note. At first I did leave the Firewall open and just did it like that for VNC use... but after some critical updates from Windows... those machines re-enabled the Firewall and/or the users did and I was not able to get back in to the machines without them pulling the Firewall down again for me... it was a hassle and PITA.

Trust me, the FW rule works.

-g-

Back