Another Painted Laptop

Qtip42

[H]is Modness
So apparently christmas = laptops for everyone. Here was one of 4 I've done since thanksgiving. There's a few more on the way to the shop this week so that should be fun. I don't usually get requests for girly colors so that's why I took pics.

This one is leaving for pinstripes but I'm not sure I'll see it after that. Should look cool with a few purple lines.

laptop1.jpg

laptop2.jpg
laptop3.jpg

laptop4.jpg

Nice. You know when you get your reflection in a picture you need to be doing something stupid or naked though right?

Anyway yea I would like to see it with the stripes.

It just got back from the pinstriper I'm told but I haven't seen it yet. The girl said it was amazing. I can only wonder what the heck the striper did. *crosses figners* If I see it before xmas, I'll try to get a picture.

What type of paint is that, and what was the original "finish" of the laptop?

Thinking of painting the display a darker red with a glossy finish, and then perhaps the rest of the laptop a glossy black. It's a Dell C640, already 100% black plastic stock.

BTW, is that an Acer Travelmate? They seem to enjoy putting no ports in the center/rear of the laptop since that's where the battery goes.

Toshiba Satellite. Basecoat/clearcoat. A custom mix base. Had the supplier match it to a picture. Some parts of it had a texture so I primered over it to smooth things out again.

toshiba11111111pz7.jpg

Wow, that is really, really cool, as always. I love your work man, it's awesome.

So, say I had an old pice of shit Panasonic toughbook I wanted to get painted, how would I go about getting an estimate from you?

how long does it take to ready the laptop for the paint job, and how many coats do you have to use?

do you air bursh it on i assume or ?

MrGuvernment said:
how long does it take to ready the laptop for the paint job, and how many coats do you have to use?

do you air bursh it on i assume or ?

How long it takes to prep depends on the texture, number of parts, etc. Some laptops have textures which either need to be sanded smooth or primered over. If the tolerances between parts (like the screen bezel to the keyboard area when the laptop is closed) are large enough, you can add a few coats of primer without having the paint mash together when the entire thing is done. The number of coats you put on depends on the space you have between parts. If you sand some of the parts, obviously you can add more coats of paint without having problems later.

The tops don't matter if you want to put some multi-layered candy, flake, airbrush effect on but you have to consider tolerances on most other parts.

It's painted the same as you would a car. In total I'd say about 5-6 hours or so per laptop. Including paint time. That's taking it apart, prep, paint, put it back together. It's usually spread out over a few days since paint has to cure.

Dammit. Looks like it's going to be waaaay too much effort to paint my Dell for a painting noob like me. :(

Back