Another one bites the dust: Via leaves chipset market

You know, I had four VIA chipset boards, and not one of them ever gave me a lick of any trouble.

Now nVidia on the other hand....

I've had nVidia and VIA chipset boards and both never gave me problems either. I haven't been keeping up on the PC business lately, but I've been getting ready for another build and came here to catch up on everything. So much is changing...

It's sad really. Less competition will only hurt the consumers in the end.

I wonder what they'll use for chipsets on their microITX now?

I wonder what they'll use for chipsets on their microITX now?
It's good to read articles before replying to them. :)
Although Via intends to stop manufacturing chipsets for Intel and AMD processors, it will still carry on fabricating chips for its own brand of Nano processors - which are in direct competition with Intel's new Atom.
That having been said, I don't expect Nano to be around much longer either. Atom beats Nano in sheer power consumption, but I see Intel offering higher performance, higher wattage parts to go head-to-head if the market justifies it. And if that happens, well, I don't see VIA being in the picture for very long.

The VIA boards I've used probably would have been a lot better if the manufacturer hadn't skimped on capacitors. Plus that whole 686A/B thing left a bad taste in my mouth since the KT7A I got STILL didn't support 133mhz bus speed. :)

My first couple AMD builds were around VIA chipets. I used KT266A, KT333 and KT400. After that, nVidia introduced the nForce2 and it was all over. The PCI/AGP lock and dual channel memory controller made it head and shoulders above anything else that was available, not to mention it was rock solid.

Back