another noob Q

option141

Gawd
hey guys,

aight - total n00b, gonna ask a typical question, but yet i couldn't find any answers on the first 7 pages of the forum.

I have:
2800+ Barton (athlon XP)
Asus A7N8X
Corsair 2700 DDR RAM (1 GIG)

so, i wanna OC this puppy...questions are:

1. How high could i get the FSB? it is currently 333...
2. How much more Mhz could i get? 2.4 is what i want

I'm set on water cool. My question is, can i buy a pump, block, and radiator (all good stuff....no crap) for under 125? I plan on making my own resivor out of stuff i have.

All help is thanked
peace.

before you OC.. i think you neeed to change your RAM to higher speed...

other than that OC is hit and miss... the chances of OC depends on your luck with the chip

i dont know much about water cooling but i THINK your gonna need a little more money than what you currently have

as for the 2800, i think you can hit 2.4, you can do it but it wont be easy

i have the 2600 T-bred -->same mult/fsb as 2800 except not barton and i could hit 2.3 on 1.8V

so if i were to use, say 1.875 or so...then i could hit 2.4

but yea, ur gonna need at least some pc-3200 ram, might i suggest some mushink lvl II pc-3200 ram?

damn...if i sold my current ram, how much extra money would i need for 3200 , do you think (selling it on H).

awesome , quick replies, thanks

I think you ram is fine.

Also I think you could do water on that budget if you buy used equipment.

bump

can somebody answer: is my ram aight, or do i need faster?

and: what should i get in terms of high quality water block, pump, and radiator, for under 125$?

thanks

jesus, water cooling? i would think that would be out of the question, seriously.
your ram is fine, you can always overclock it too, except you get higher timings. 2.4ghz it's cake.
if you're not worried about timings, go for 12x200 @ 1.8/1.85 and you'll be fine. I would recommend a decent cooler, just doesnt have to be water. unless that is what you want, it can be a mess if you screw it up.

i have a vantec aeroflow on this box:
1800+ (1533 @ 2436) 12x203
Temps @1.85v:
34ºc idle
41º load

heres the best hint ever...

unless you really know what you are doing or have someone around you who knows what he/shes doing, dont do it. Its kind of an easy thing to mess up, and many people seem to get carried away with OCing too much and not really checking hard enough for errors. You also may want to know what kind of temps are good temps, and what limits for Vcore are. etc etc etc. Theres just a lot to know before you try OCing and i wouldnt advise it, unless you have someone who knows a lot around.

BTW i dont think he needs new ram. If he has a good memory divider he should be able to OC no problem with pc2700. I have 512 pc2100 (2 256 chips in dual channel) and they are holding up like champs at 284 mhz. Im doin 2.25 with am amd2500 but my abit nf7-s is a good OCing board, the memory divider is helping alot with OCing with slower memory. Perhaps his board has one too, which means he doenst need more memory

if your set on WC, i wouldn't get the parts yourself, i would go with a kit, something like the koolance exos ($200, and all you do is install the cpu water block and run the tubes, sounds easy if you ask me)

have fun, and i hope you don't screw your system

yea - i have a couple of friends around who know how to OC, and I also have a lot of friends with knowledge about water cooling - it's just due to school we havn't talked much, and in my freetime at home i ask you guys :D

thanks for the helpful tips. hopefully other ''n00bs'' read this post instead of posting more -_-

peace.

Originally posted by option141
yea - i have a couple of friends around who know how to OC, and I also have a lot of friends with knowledge about water cooling - it's just due to school we havn't talked much, and in my freetime at home i ask you guys :D

thanks for the helpful tips. hopefully other ''n00bs'' read this post instead of posting more -_-

peace.

have fun and remember, if you blow shit up, take lots pics for the rest of us to laugh at you about (hmmmm, just to be prepared, video tape your experience installing the wc, so we can watch as a tube comes off and water goes shooting everywhere - lol)

Back