Another Giveaway! i7 2600k & more!

Here are the rules:

-Ask questions in this thread

Ask questions? OK... 'What time is love?'

You didn't say what question to ask...
bonus points for the song & artist (no using google! bad OCP'er!)
(please note- bonus points from me mean zip and add nothing for the contest to your chances)

Hey all,

Looking at my FAH GPU Tracker v2, it says my total PPD is currently 3676.

SMP : 1096
GPU0: 2581

specs :
CPU: Q6700 @stock 2.6667ghz
GPU: ATI 4890

Will this PPD number go higher ? :confused:

Do I need to run FAH on additional machines to break 4K PPD avg for my userid to be eligible for this drawing ? Or am I just screwed with old hardware ? :eek:

Will this option : "Add -advmethods" yield more PPD ?

Thanks in advance!

If you can put a slight OC on the Q6600 that should push you over the 4k mark quite easily.

Hey all,

specs :

Do I need to run FAH on additional machines to break 4K PPD avg for my userid to be eligible for this drawing ? Or am I just screwed with old hardware ? :eek:

Thanks in advance!

Hey all,

specs :

Thanks in advance!

Is this your only machine? If not can you can dedicate it to folding? If so I would recommend you stop folding on the 4890, and run just SMP. That Q6700 should have no problem doing 4k+ PPD on its own. I have an AMD phenom 9600 Black Edition that is about as fast as a stock Q6600 and I average around 4.4K PPD. The Q6700 should do 5K PPD if everything is set up properly. Overclocking will also increase your PPD.

Last edited:
What is folding and how do you fold?
Please help I would like to win but, I am to lazy to learn how.

Is this your only machine? If not can you can dedicate it to folding? If so I would recommend you stop folding on the 4890, and run just SMP. That Q6700 should have no problem doing 4k+ PPD on its own. I have an AMD phenom 9600 Black Edition that is about as fast as a stock Q6600 and I average around 4.4K PPD. The Q6700 should do 5K PPD if everything is set up properly. Overclocking will also increase your PPD.

I have one more system I could setup for folding, it has an 8800GT and Core2 Duo E6400. Do I just set it up the same way and add my folding userid and it will add its WU/PPD to my Q6700 stats ?

I thought GPU folding was far superior to CPU folding ? My 4890 crunches though many more work units than the SMP. So you are saying that disabling GPU folding will yield much higher CPU folding ?

I just turned on the "Add -advmethods" for both GPU and CPU folding, we'll see if it goes up any :p

In the meantime I will try and get a small oc going on the q6700 and see if that helps too. My board sucks so I don't think I'll squeeze too much out of it.

I have one more system I could setup for folding, it has an 8800GT and Core2 Duo E6400. Do I just set it up the same way and add my folding userid and it will add its WU/PPD to my Q6700 stats ?

I thought GPU folding was far superior to CPU folding ? My 4890 crunches though many more work units than the SMP. So you are saying that disabling GPU folding will yield much higher CPU folding ?

I just turned on the "Add -advmethods" for both GPU and CPU folding, we'll see if it goes up any :p

In the meantime I will try and get a small oc going on the q6700 and see if that helps too. My board sucks so I don't think I'll squeeze too much out of it.

leave the -advmethods alone

ATI cards do not fold as well as NV.

That 8800GT will give you over 4k ppd alone.

Run SMP only on the q6600 rig
Run GPU on the 8800GT, you will have a high enough ppd with a bit of room to spare.

yep, just install the software same as you did on the last computer, no special settings to make it identify a second machine.

CPU folding is better and worse.... CPU is divided in 2 major groups Uni (uniprocessor) and SMP (Symetric MultiProcessor) GPU owns Uni hands down. If points is all you are interested in, don't bother with Uni, science can still see significant benefit from Uni. SMP is divided in to two basic work units, SMP and Bigadv. Both varients of SMP are a more the merrier thing, the more threads the better. Cores are important, but multi threading per core (intel Hyperthreading) are almost as important. As you have a real quad core without multi threading, SMP is your best bet. even better than your ATI 4890. That ATI card hogs 1 thread to itself, and I do mean hogs, it will not let it go for any reason. Your SMP client wants to use 4 threads and assigns work to the same thread that the radeon is hogging. As this work is always on the back burner, the SMP client is constantly held up waiting on the one thread held up by the radeon. While the 4890 seems to be turning in some points, it is costing you significantly. If you were to shut down the GPU client on the 4890, the SMP client should gain almost the same number of points per day if not more. That 4890 is using in excess of 200W of electrical power and if you just shut it down you will get the same net result with less electrical usage. That nvidia 8800 will give more PPD than the 4890, for the same (if not less wattage) without hogging a process thread. The C2D should be able to make deadlines.

So here is my best recommendation (based on the most points you can earn with effiient use of electrical power)

*) use your passkey on ALL SMP clients
1) shut down the GPU client on the ATI 4890
2) install a GPU client on the machine with the 8800
3) look into some overclocking on the Q6700 (if it isn't already)
4) If you are looking for a few more points concider a SMP client on the C2D

using the advmethods flag is unnecessary for any of this

Kendrak I see that you are a faster poster on this.......

second ninja edit to re-prioritize my recommendations

Last edited:
Hey all,

specs :

Thanks in advance!

Are you running the -smp flag on the CPU side?

I assume you've got a passkey? Once you complete 10 units on your passkey, it should add bonus points onto the SMP units and you'll get a big lift there. I get about 3000-5000 ppd on my stock Q6600 once the bonus is factored in.

Awesome ! Thanks for the help guys !!

I have shut down the 4890 folding and isabled the -advmethods option and left only SMP running on my main Q6700 box.

I will setup the additional box to fold on 8800GT only.

I will post back with results later :D

I have a question about the 4k PPD requirement:

Does that mean I have to get 4k points every day or can I make up for it a bit later in the week? Reason why I ask is I'm flying home for my brother's graduation and as much as I would like to leave the computer running, I have this funny feeling that the house might burn down if I do.

Will be gone June 1 - 4; can anybody help me out and give me an estimate of the PPD I need to pull after I get back or if I am disqualified because I didn't fold those first 4 days?

Thanks!

Do you have a passkey set up on that Q6700? It should 8 to 10 K PPD by itself.

Hey all,

specs :

Thanks in advance!

I have a question about the 4k PPD requirement:

Does that mean I have to get 4k points every day or can I make up for it a bit later in the week? Reason why I ask is I'm flying home for my brother's graduation and as much as I would like to leave the computer running, I have this funny feeling that the house might burn down if I do.

Will be gone June 1 - 4; can anybody help me out and give me an estimate of the PPD I need to pull after I get back or if I am disqualified because I didn't fold those first 4 days?

Thanks!

The 4k is an average. Everyone has short term dips from time to time. We just didn't want someone to fold for a week, stop, and then take the prize.

The 4k is an average. Everyone has short term dips from time to time. We just didn't want someone to fold for a week, stop, and then take the prize.

OTOH, with 'just an average', then you are simply requesting 120,000 points total (30 days in June, 4k a day average = 120,000 points). *I* can do that in 6 days (thus, hit the average) with just a single PC.

I imagine users with a considerably more cutting-edge system than mine (say, an i7-2600K running -bigadv with a pair of Geforce 580s running WUs on the v7 client) could hit that total in a day or two, tops. Nevermind people who have a couple such systems.

Not that I'm cynical or anything...but it's worth pointing out.

Re-read what you just quoted and then look at what you said. Kendrak already said they would disqualify people doing such things.

Edit: Maybe not disqualify, but I imagine that is the step they would take (Kendrak/DeFex)

Re-read what you just quoted and then look at what you said. Kendrak already said they would disqualify people doing such things.

Edit: Maybe not disqualify, but I imagine that is the step they would take (Kendrak/DeFex)

Yes, but see the quote he was replying to. Someone noted that they couldn't fold 4k per day, and asked if they could make it up other days - he said yes.

So who is to say that a hypothetical person "couldn't fold every day"...say, 28 days of the month they couldn't fold...but could "make it up on other days"...put 120k in on the 28th and 29th. That's a 4k-per-day average.

Yes, but see the quote he was replying to. Someone noted that they couldn't fold 4k per day, and asked if they could make it up other days - he said yes.

So who is to say that a hypothetical person "couldn't fold every day"...say, 28 days of the month they couldn't fold...but could "make it up on other days"...put 120k in on the 28th and 29th. That's a 4k-per-day average.

That is definitely the situation that I'm in, I'm getting 4K a day right now on a wing and a prayer with 3 laptops. Late June I'll get my desktop back and can make 120K in under 2 days.

w000t !

stock Q6700 doing 5-7K PPD now without the 4890 GPU folding ! Thanks for that tip !

and yes I have the passkey setup too ;)

I'm all set, thanks for the help :D :D :D

w000t !

stock Q6700 doing 5-7K PPD now without the 4890 GPU folding ! Thanks for that tip !

and yes I have the passkey setup too ;)

I'm all set, thanks for the help :D :D :D

Thats more like it! Enough so you will have some buffer just in case something happens.

So I only need to be active and keep ppd above 4k for June only. Is that correct ? Just want to make sure I understand it correctly :D

So I only need to be active and keep ppd above 4k for June only. Is that correct ? Just want to make sure I understand it correctly :D

Fold for 4k ppd, it isn't a hard thing. Why you all splittng hairs?

fold for 4k ppd is not hard .. but for some, it is HARD to maintain that level :p

I would have to agree, budgets are tight. My best computer overclocked puts out 4-5k PPD dedicated 24/7. No money to upgrade yet.

I would have to agree, budgets are tight. My best computer overclocked puts out 4-5k PPD dedicated 24/7. No money to upgrade yet.
Yes, winning this contest would help in that regard. It would be nice to be able to continue to make a sizeable contribution while sticking to folding during those off-peak hours these new smart meters seem to care so much about...

Yes, winning this contest would help in that regard. It would be nice to be able to continue to make a sizeable contribution while sticking to folding during those off-peak hours these new smart meters seem to care so much about...

Oh yeah man, those smart meters suck. My dad had like a $200 electric bill before, and after the smart meter he got hit with $450+ bills. Needless to say I got him to cut back. I on the other hand had a $32 electric bill last month which included a 2 week portion of 24/7 folding. Probably going to be in the $50's this month now that I am home again.

I can just taste that 40k+ PPD in my mouth already... FOLD ON!!!

I just want to say up front that I am not trying to flame anyone or start anything, but was anything decided on how to keep this and future contests more legit? Are winners going to have IPs checked by a mod to look for multiple accounts? Did anyone come up with a way to attempt to make sure the winner would continue to use it for the [H]orde? I just read the last two pages from the previous mess up and it made me curious.

Kyle is going to draw the number for the winner. So I or any other person has no imput on who the winner is besides the requirements.

As far as the equipment folding for the [H] after it is won..... can't force someone to fold with their equipment. And if they win it, it is their. Just have to go with the honor system there.

But as far as the big mess up... Kyle pulling the winner fixes that.

argg my main folding rig just crapped out think my MB died i was pulling about 15k a day now im down to 2k ppd im i sol if i cant get my rig back up in a few days and takes a week or more(money is tight) or can there be some leeway for longtime folders?

argg my main folding rig just crapped out think my MB died i was pulling about 15k a day now im down to 2k ppd im i sol if i cant get my rig back up in a few days and takes a week or more(money is tight) or can there be some leeway for longtime folders?

I dont know if they will do that but at 2k PPD that would be 60k for the month which means you would need another 60k for the eligibility. So if you pound out that 2k and manage to get your rig up and running it would only take you another 5 or so days to get to the 120k mark. So you pretty much have 24 days to get back up and running.

Help on the way.

Hello all.

I am trying to get my ppd up and having a bit of a prob.
I will tell you all what I am working with and maybe you can give me some pointers.
At this time I only have 2 laptops to work with (one of the reasons I would love to win) so here you go:
My main machine is an elitebook 8540w with an i7 840qm & QuadroFX 1800M.
I am currently only getting 2500ppd (max)
My other machine is a 2011 MBP with an i7 2820qm
I am not sure what ppd I get on this machine but it takes ~8hours at full speed/high temp to finish a run using smp only (as it is a mac)

SO, any help to get to the 4000+ppd I would appreciate it.

D.

SO, any help to get to the 4000+ppd I would appreciate it.

You hit 8300 points yesterday so you are capable. Are you running them 24/7?
If you haven't yet, set up a passkey here and use it to get bonus points on some SMP projects. The bonus will kick in after 10 returned units.
After a week or two, if you still find yourself short of the goal, send me a PM.

Back