Another 7900GTX? Or something else?

Tobuk

Limp Gawd
Okay, so I've come across a bit of a dilemma. I try to avoid asking the "XXX vs. XXX" video card question, but I have not been able to find an answer. (partially because I've been largely disconnected from the tech world the past few months thanks to college and my baby, :D)

So, here's the deal. I can get nice hardware from my school and it gets absorbed into my $40,000+ of student loans, so buying a $500 video card (or two of them) is really no big deal to me. :)

I currently have one 7900GTX, and I just bought Oblivion the other week, and I'm not satisfied with the performance. The game looks so awesome that I want to turn the settings up more than I can now.

So my question is, do I buy another 7900GTX and go SLI? Or go the single card route and get a 7950 GX2? If I do that, will likely never get a 2nd 7950...that's just rediculous. Any other suggestions?

Also keep in my that I'm currently on a 1280x1024 LCD, but a widescreen is likely in my near future, so the ability to run higher resolutions is important!

Thanks for any opinions and help!

from what I have been reading in other post' ..an ATi card would bring more pleasure to your eye as far as Oblivion is concerned ..

[F]old|[H]ard

Yeah with ATI you can have HDR + FSAA in oblivion. HDR usually isn't a biggy for me, but Oblivion seems to use it quite well and at 1280x1024 FSAA is definately worth using too.

Hi all,

I'm interested in getting a third monitor, but in order for that to work I'd need a third dvi (or vga) out on my box. My p5b-deluxe has 2 pci-e slots, so physically i should be able to pop a pci-e card into the second slot to run a third monitor.

My question is, does it matter what kind of card I plug into my 2nd pci-e slot? Does it have to match my 7900 GTO? Can I use some crappy 6600xx instead? Do I have to do SLI? Of course I'll be using my main card for gaming and the 2nd card will be non-graphics-intensive stuff, eg web browsers.

thanks,
y

arthur_tuxedo said:
Sit tight about two weeks and get an 8800 GTS (or GTX if you're willing to spring the extra cash).

heh, jeez i'm really outta the loop around here. I didn't know it was so close to being released. :)

Tobuk said:
Okay, so I've come across a bit of a dilemma. I try to avoid asking the "XXX vs. XXX" video card question, but I have not been able to find an answer. (partially because I've been largely disconnected from the tech world the past few months thanks to college and my baby, :D)

So, here's the deal. I can get nice hardware from my school and it gets absorbed into my $40,000+ of student loans, so buying a $500 video card (or two of them) is really no big deal to me. :)

I currently have one 7900GTX, and I just bought Oblivion the other week, and I'm not satisfied with the performance. The game looks so awesome that I want to turn the settings up more than I can now.

So my question is, do I buy another 7900GTX and go SLI? Or go the single card route and get a 7950 GX2? If I do that, will likely never get a 2nd 7950...that's just rediculous. Any other suggestions?

Also keep in my that I'm currently on a 1280x1024 LCD, but a widescreen is likely in my near future, so the ability to run higher resolutions is important!

Thanks for any opinions and help!

As already mentioned, wait a couple of weeks and buy a 8800 GTX/GTS. It will outperform anything out there in DX9 and DX10, at least until R600 is out.
A single 8800 GTX should be as fast or faster than 2 7900 GTX's in SLI.

Yggdrasil said:
Hi all,

I'm interested in getting a third monitor, but in order for that to work I'd need a third dvi (or vga) out on my box. My p5b-deluxe has 2 pci-e slots, so physically i should be able to pop a pci-e card into the second slot to run a third monitor.

My question is, does it matter what kind of card I plug into my 2nd pci-e slot? Does it have to match my 7900 GTO? Can I use some crappy 6600xx instead? Do I have to do SLI? Of course I'll be using my main card for gaming and the 2nd card will be non-graphics-intensive stuff, eg web browsers.

thanks,
y

Threadjacking = bad. You can use whatever other card you want in that second slot but you may find it difficult to switch between the cards for each of your tasks.

Not sure why my post went to this thread instead of a new one as I don't even remember viewing this one ... :eek:

Thanks for the response though! Apologies for the thread jacking, but you have to admit it's pretty funny how blatant it was :D

-y

First of all, consumer debt for a non-necessity is a bad idea. I've been there, and it wasn't fun.

But having said that, since you didn't ask for advice in that realm, I'll go ahead and agree with everybody telling you to wait for the 8800 cards to come out in just a few days. If they're all that you might wanna go down that route, but if they're not you can get a 7900GTX for cheaper maybe. Cheaper is better, even with deferred payments :cool:

Back