Android screen capture apps

Staples

Supreme [H]ardness
Why are all the Android screen capture apps paid? I don't think they do anything special to take screen captures on rooted phones but of the few there are, they are all paid. Looks like there used to be one or two free ones but they are now gone.

I have bought a handful of apps so I am not opposed to the idea but not having a free option other than trial ware is bugging me.

I may still have the APK for Shootme floating around. I'll check when I get home and will post it if I have it. It was a fantastic free screenshot program but asshole people pissed him off so bad he stopped development and pulled it from the market.

Most of the ROMs I have used you can just hold power button down for a few seconds.. and there is a screenshot option.

What phone do you have? My Galaxy Nexus allows you to take a screenshot by holding the volume down + power button, completely stock feature. I'd see if you can find a manual online somewhere for your phone to see if the feature isn't built into the OS already. I find this button combo more useful and easier to use than going through a menu that a root app would provide.

I have a Sprint Motorola Photon. While the phone is rooted, I am still running the stock 2.3.x ROM (never saw any real reason to install alternative ROMs ). I tried all the power button combos that have been recommended and no dice.

Ironically, I have CM7 on my Touchpad and I just tried holding down the power button and the option for screen shots is there.

It does not appear there is a built in feature to do it but I looked around and found a free app that was written for a Moto Attrix and well, works just fine on my phone although it runs as a service.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1009451

As for alternative ROMs, maybe when an ICS ROM comes out for my phone will I be compelled and brave enough to install another ROM.

ICS added it as a standard feature.

In GB some OEMs custom added in, and CM7 has it. But otherwise your only option is to install the Android SDK on a PC and capture screenshots using DDMS.

Back