Android email app won't sync Gmail account on WiFi

mikeblas

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - May 2006
I've been using my Samsung S6 Edge to great effect for about a month.

Yesterday, I noticed that I couldn't sync my gmail account in the plain email application (I'm not using the gmail application). After fiddling with it, I found that I can sync my account when connected to 4GLTE, but not when connected to my home LAN over WiFi. My other email accounts sync fine if they're on WiFi or 4GLTE no problem.

I've fussed around with lots of settings, but I can't figure out what the problem is. I don't get any error message; mails don't send and the sync appears to time out after a few seconds.

What's a good way to diagnose this issue?

Could be a routing issue altogether - can you ping their services over WiFi? (I had to hit up my ISP a few months ago to get them to correct a change they had made preventing me from connecting to my work's VPN)

Last edited:
The other thing to try is using different DNS servers.

Google

OpenDNS

From my desktop, all Google services work fine. All Google services other than mail sync work fine from my phone. Reading a message already synched works fine. This seems to rule out routing, except that I don't know if the mobile device is trying to go to a different back end server than the desktop web pages would. I can ping imap.google.com just fine.

Back