Ancient Relic of A CPU

Mralexsp17

n00b
So I was taking apart an old server a family member gifted me, and I was looking at the 2 athlon CPU's. They have the model AMP2000DMS3C on it, when I Googled it it showed it was from 2002. However the copyright date on the die is from 1999, anyone have any ideas or an explanation?

So I was taking apart an old server a family member gifted me, and I was looking at the 2 athlon CPU's. They have the model AMP2000DMS3C on it, when I Googled it it showed it was from 2002. However the copyright date on the die is from 1999, anyone have any ideas or an explanation?

Do the letters TARDIS appear anywhere on the die?

Palomino core brings back memories - it was the first cpu i watercooled and my gateway into half a dozen barton cores that came after it. Never got around to running a dual system like OP's MP's though

Reactions: N4CR
like this
I have half a dozen of Coppermine and Tualatin Pentium 3's from 1996-1999 if you consider that Athlon XP a relic of a CPU.

The copyright date on AMD chips is when the underlying architecture was developed, finalized and registered. The release date is later because they then have to actually put chips together and test them, and later generations will have the same earlier copyright date so long as not too much of the architecture was changed. Looking at my old/spare CPUs, I have here an Athlon 64 3500+ (Venice) from 2005 with a date of 2001 on it, which is when AMD64 was finalized in architecture form, same is true of my 2004 Opteron 248 trio. Move up to my dad's 64 X2 6000+ (Windsor) mistake (he wouldn't believe in the Core 2) and you'll see 2004 for a 2006/7 release from the change to DDR2/AM2.

The Pentium D 820 right next to it, however has '04 for its date, and a release in 2005, as Intel tends to use each individual architecture. Astoundingly, my i7 920 actually has '08 on it-but it was a late 2008 release.

I have half a dozen of Coppermine and Tualatin Pentium 3's from 1996-1999 if you consider that Athlon XP a relic of a CPU.

Coppermines in 1996? :confused: Guess I shouldn't have bought my '98 Pentium ][ ;) Still using it, too.

/Get off my lawn

2002 is not that long ago... relics lol.

On that note, I wish I had kept my dual celery rig!

I have a few Slot-A 900Mhz T-bird chips - the ones with the L2 cache on-die.

A few years ago I gave away my collection of really old CPUs that I had on this here forum. Had a few as far back as 80386.

An Athlon MP is modern compared to some of the CPUs in my collection. I have an engineering sample XC68000 from 1979 and a few i8051s from 1980.

I still have a motherboard with an Intel 286 12 MHz processor on it...

My next computer after that was an Am386SX-33.

Ah, the memories of sprite animated graphics.

:)

what should I do with these old relics?
procs.jpg

Man I have a Celeron 333 cartridge that will run circles around some of this modern day crap haha .. no really but during its time the Celeron 333 was a BEAST mode processor.

Man I have a Celeron 333 cartridge that will run circles around some of this modern day crap haha .. no really but during its time the Celeron 333 was a BEAST mode processor.
I had the Celeron 266 that was basically a 400mhz cpu at a lower bus speed. just change the bus speed and it was 400mhz.

How exactly did that come to be then?
The trademark was filed in 1999 CPU made in 2002 not hard or interesting....

Also not a relic a Pentium pro is a relic a 200mhz win chip is a relic a socket 5 Pentium 120 MHz running windows 2000 is a relic a tnt2 PCI video card is a relic any matrox card is a relic a voodoo 2000, 3000, 5000 are relics...

I had the Celeron 266 that was basically a 400mhz cpu at a lower bus speed. just change the bus speed and it was 400mhz.

Wow we have come a long way ... I checked the ARK on that processor the 266 and 333 and they were 250nm process haha wow! It had a HUGE heatsink on it for the time.

It only had 19 million transistors on the die ... now we have Billions or thousands of millions of transistors.

But the 266 and 333 Celeron were so beast that "YES They could play Crysis" haha

The trademark was filed in 1999 CPU made in 2002 not hard or interesting....

Also not a relic a Pentium pro is a relic a 200mhz win chip is a relic a socket 5 Pentium 120 MHz running windows 2000 is a relic a tnt2 PCI video card is a relic any matrox card is a relic a voodoo 2000, 3000, 5000 are relics...

I remember all that stuff... man I am getting old.

thesmokingman: 1042533347 said:
I remember all that stuff... man I am getting old.
With the exception of vodoo 3 and 5 cards and a Pentium pro I have working examples of all I mentioned including but not limited to a 1.2ghz tbird a MMX 233 machine running 64mb of ecc sdram SCSI drives zip drives and a working ls120 floppy drive

I still have a Slot A Athlon. I think mine was a 550MHz model, had to have a couple of resistors swapped around to get it OC'd, I think it went to 700MHz.

Stuff comes and goes, but I kept that processor. It was the shiznit in its day.

Turbo buttons!

I put a turbo "jumper" mounted on the front of a case in order to change from 66 to 80Mhz on a 486 DX2-66 setup I had.

It wasn't stable in some games at 80Mhz.

My very first overclock was a 486 25Mhz. I noticed a jumper on the motherboard that said 25/33Mhz. I switched it to 33, booted up and was instantly hooked on overclocking. And that machine wasn't even mine.

My most "legendary" overclock from back in the day was running an AMD K6-2 550 at 660Mhz on an ASUS P5A motherboard.

Supposedly the K6-2 architecture was not supposed to be able to clock that high.

My most "legendary" overclock from back in the day was running an AMD K6-2 550 at 660Mhz on an ASUS P5A motherboard.
NICE! I had a k6-2 450 that I could only get to 525. now my next chip, a duron 600, I could push to 1133 but ran out of voltage otherwise I bet it would have run 1200. that chip is still being used in my bro-in-law's garage system for internet access and music streaming.

You know those old slot type Intel and AMD's fetch a pretty money nowadays with collectors. The older the CPU, the more money its worth.

Entomb them in a cave and lace it with booby traps! Draw a map to them and leave it on your bosses desk.
I'll have to get a job first so that I'd have a boss to leave the map with, lol.

Back