AMD Vega Pricing Detailed

rgMekanic

[H]ard|News
Kumquat Research has written an excellent summary of what's been going on with Vega pricing. AMD has been under some scrutiny since the Vega launch about it's pricing, sparked by a rumor that the launch prices were introductory only, and the price was to go up by $100 after the initial launch. In a statement from AMD's Gerald Youngblood, he confirms that "is our full intention of where we would suggest the product be priced. Not just for launch, but ongoing."

Excellent article on what's going on with Vega pricing, and I'm glad we can put it to rest that the launch pricing was only temporary. Supply issues are fairly common at launch, as are retailers raising the prices, hopefully both will smooth out sooner than later.

What happened, though, was we launched the product and the demand was really huge. Now we’re focused on replenishing so that there is plenty of stock so we can encourage our partners to hit the SEPs that we announced.

LOL, why on earth would anyone pay $699.00 for a card that can't out perform a $550.00 card?
I know 3 reasons.
Enhancedsync\freesync
Linux
Compute.

Apart from that... currently no other reason, I bought one at the launch price for all reasons above - In fact from my current rig I don't expect to see that much difference in games but it's always the 2nd priority for me :)
1500+ core on the 970 does decent and places it between a 1060 and 1070 me thinks.

LOL, why on earth would anyone pay $699.00 for a card that can't out perform a $550.00 card?

It's worse than a 1.5 year old Nvidia GPU in every possible way and metric - performance, price, power consumption, availability. But fragile fanboy pride will overpay for new shiny, and scalpers are happy to supply.

Last edited:
It's worse than a 1.5 year old Nvidia GPU in every possible way and metric - performance, price, power consumption, availability. But fragile fanboy pride will overpay for new shiny, and scalpers are happy to supply.
Does that nvidia gpu have freesync? Didn't think so.

https://www.hardwareluxx.de/index.p...vega-56-und-vega-64-im-undervolting-test.html

Vega 56 kicks the crap out of the 1080 FE using 16w more than 1070, although nvidia wasn't undervolted but that doesn't seem to be a common trend as it lowers clock speed range so I'd imagine performance would suffer

Oh and beats a 1080ti in mining performance without any optimizations.

my Vega 64 with its horrible cooler can pull 35-40Mh/s depending on temps, water cooling would have it around 42Mh/s

Fanboy?

I'll give you power consumption, but the 1080 is only 1.25 years old, and I won't even go into the V56 vs 1070 thing. Performance varies depending on application, price is a wash, and availability of a card just launched is always low.

Pot, meet Kettle. Kettle, this is Pot.

It doesn't seem it's so simple:
Another day another page in the drama.

The only reason I would seriously consider a 64 or 56 is if I was locked to or just had to have AMD Freesync, VEGA is not a stellar product, the reviews seem to really show one major downside is power usage, I do still see some good things in it. I am remaining hopefully positive for AMD to have this continue or even get a few more positive attributes in the next generation. Intel doesn't even try, so better to hope AMD can keep up.

The 64 might have a 41 mh/s. but miners aren't buying them up. They use to much power. It eats into there profit! If the 64 did 70 - 100 mh/s then it be a different story.

Its not a gaming GPU, its not a mining GPU, its not an AI GPU. And its certainly not a mobile GPU.

Will Vega 56 start to sell at 599 too suddenly?

Cards are in stock at those retailers that got it, dont see a "huge demand". One of AMDs 9th biggest retailers, Mindfactory, didn't exactly sell much of them and still in stock at 609€ up to 749€. GTX1080 starts at 498€ to compare.
https://www.mindfactory.de/Hardware/Grafikkarten+(VGA)/Radeon+RX+VEGA.html

Last edited:
The article refered to is directed at investors (in AMD stock). Just tries to smooth everything out and take AMD's word for gospel.
I prefer to wait and see the price development over the next month or two before accepting it for true.
AMD is in a really tight spot though, with components for Vega that are way more expensive than those for Pascal, and that's not including the development costs. From a profitability point of view Nvidia is the undisputed winner here!

Back