AMD To Unveil Next Major Products At Gamescom 2023, Radeon RX 7800 XT & 7700 XT Expected

1_rick

Supreme [H]ardness
https://wccftech.com/amd-unveil-next-major-products-gamescom-2023-radeon-rx-7800-xt-7700-xt/

AMD has just confirmed that it will be present at Gamescom 2023 which commences next week to unveil its next major products under the Radeon RX 7000 GPU family. [...]
AMD's CEO, Dr. Lisa Su, had already confirmed the launch of new enthusiast-grade products later this quarter

If you combine multiple statements, it could mean the two cards listed in the subject are going to be announced. Whether they'll be any good or not, or priced acceptably or not, is, of course, an open question.

Moore Laws predicted FSR 3.0 being announced with StarField supporting being announced as well.

Would make sense, if the 7800xt brand end up having only 60 compute unit it would mass the news quite well, would also match Starfield comments about AMD engineer themselves making the FSR 2 part in the game.

Last edited:
And they'll be priced alongside the known 'terribly priced' Nvidia products because AMD isn't concerned with competing, only riding in Nvidia's wake to try and make as much profit with the least amount of manufacturing as possible.

woopty F'ing doo

And they'll be priced alongside the known 'terribly priced' Nvidia products because AMD isn't concerned with competing, only riding in Nvidia's wake to try and make as much profit with the least amount of manufacturing as possible.

woopty F'ing doo
That and now it's starting to make sense why AMD is likely blocking DLSS in AMD sponsored games. Big chance that FSR 3.0 will look quite a bit inferior when compared to DLSS 3.

any leakers mentioning price drops for other amd cards liek 7900xt and 790xtx?

I don't care much about Navi32, but I'm hoping for an actual release date for FSR3. I'd be surprised if they didn't launch FSR3 next week, if only because they're really gonna need Frame Gen tech to make the 7800XT look any good vs 6800XT given what we know about it's leaked/rumored specs...

That and now it's starting to make sense why AMD is likely blocking DLSS in AMD sponsored games. Big chance that FSR 3.0 will look quite a bit inferior when compared to DLSS 3.

Isn't it sort of expected and acceptable that FSR is inferior since it doesn't require dedicated Tensor cores?

Isn't it sort of expected and acceptable that FSR is inferior since it doesn't require dedicated Tensor cores?
It depends on what aspect, if it is both on latency and image quality because of Nvidia Reflex advantage continue to exist:

https://www.igorslab.de/en/radeon-anti-lag-vs-nvidia-reflex-im-test-latenzvergleich/9/
(This was April and in only 3 game tested but in those the gap is quite massive)

Could be judged unacceptable on the PC side of things but still a blessing on console (if it work back on RDNA 2 and on the console APU version of RDNA)

And acceptable or event impressive in a software way to pull it off, as a sub branch of a smaller company, could be true, but for the buyer it would not at least directly matter that the 7800xt does it without dedicated Tensor core and the 4070 use them (or the laptop lineups)

The point I was making is that it seems AMD is trying to not have a fair comparison by eliminating the better option (DLSS in this case). If the rumor that FSR 3.0 will be announced with StarField and if the game excludes DLSS is accurate.

It depends on what aspect, if it is both on latency and image quality because of Nvidia Reflex advantage continue to exist:

https://www.igorslab.de/en/radeon-anti-lag-vs-nvidia-reflex-im-test-latenzvergleich/9/
(This was April and in only 3 game tested but in those the gap is quite massive)

Could be judged unacceptable on the PC side of things but still a blessing on console (if it work back on RDNA 2 and on the console APU version of RDNA)

And acceptable or event impressive in a software way to pull it off, as a sub branch of a smaller company, could be true, but for the buyer it would not at least directly matter that the 7800xt does it without dedicated Tensor core and the 4070 use them (or the laptop lineups)

Yeah, AMD has a ways to go here. HYPR-RX sounds like more ... Hype.

I don't care much about Navi32, but I'm hoping for an actual release date for FSR3. I'd be surprised if they didn't launch FSR3 next week, if only because they're really gonna need Frame Gen tech to make the 7800XT look any good vs 6800XT given what we know about it's leaked/rumored specs...
That would imply that FSR 3 couldn’t run on a 6800xt. Which would go against a lot of the reasons to implement FSR in the first place.

Moore Laws predicted FSR 3.0 being announced with StarField supporting being announced as well.

Would make sense, if the 7800xt brand end up having only 60 compute unit it would mass the news quite well
Got a feeling AMD will use FSR3 as the reason to buy their 7700 and 7800. Nvidia is doing it, so of course AMD will also do it. We just want faster GPU's, not clever software tricks.

At this point I think we are hoping it is around 6800XT performance with lower power draw and a $499 price point.
It isn't going to best a 6800XT except in outlier's. We know this from the 7900 GRE benches.
I would like to see a market shake-up of $449 as an actual AMD attack on Nvidia's 4070/4070ti. Ya know some actual marketing?

Reactions: noko
like this
At this point I think we are hoping it is around 6800XT performance with lower power draw and a $499 price point.
It isn't going to best a 6800XT except in outlier's. We know this from the 7900 GRE benches.
I would like to see a market shake-up of $449 as an actual AMD attack on Nvidia's 4070/4070ti. Ya know some actual marketing?
It literally won't matter.

No one cares. Everyone would rather pay twice as much for an equivalent nVidia card.

At $450 right now you get a 6800 or a 3070Ti from Zotac, if it is around a 6800xt that would be a 15%-20% upgrade against those

That would imply that FSR 3 couldn’t run on a 6800xt. Which would go against a lot of the reasons to implement FSR in the first place.
I agree, would be more in-character for AMD to make it GPU-agnostic... Maybe the 7000-series cards will use the AI accelerator cores for FSR3 to get higher perf gain + better IQ? Idk, I'm just searching for some angle that would give the 7800XT any significant advantage over 6800XT. We'll find out next week...

Feels strange to me that $350 market has been left to 6700xt & 6750xt. I am sure that AMD will run out of navi 22 stock soon (unlike navi 23 which AMD is rumored to have tons & tons of it)

At that point, when Navi 22 stock runs out would they go for 16gb Navi 33 card or 12gb Navi 32 card to fill the $250-$400 market ??

There has been no leaks at all so far of a possible 7600xt (16gb) . I am wondering when AMD will release it, if they do at all.

Going by trends so far, it seems likely that the 48 CU 12gb Navi 32 card will launch for $400+ rather than $350

No one cares. Everyone would rather pay twice as much for an equivalent nVidia card.
If there ever was an AMD GPU that costs half as much, then it would outsell Nvida. The 7900 GPU's don't count because at that price range you're fishing for whales who want the fastest GPU no matter the price. The problem AMD has had is they're always just a hair cheaper than Nvidia.
I want faster GPUs and clever software tricks but I guess that's too much to ask this gen...
Software tricks are free, the GPU hardware is not. Even Intel's XeSS works on AMD and Nvidia GPU's.

Any new processors? Successor to 7800X3D?
The 7800X3D just came out 4 months ago. It's a little early to be clamoring for a successor, don't you think?
I agree, would be more in-character for AMD to make it GPU-agnostic... Maybe the 7000-series cards will use the AI accelerator cores for FSR3 to get higher perf gain + better IQ? Idk, I'm just searching for some angle that would give the 7800XT any significant advantage over 6800XT. We'll find out next week...
There was a news post here earlier in the year that said FSR3 was in the drivers, meaning it will only work on AMD cards. Just as well, since AMD's general compute approach wouldn't work well on Intel or NVIDIA cards that have transistors dedicated to AI, and NVIDIA in particular has a chip dedicated to speeding up and smoothing out generated frames.

If there ever was an AMD GPU that costs half as much, then it would outsell Nvida. The 7900 GPU's don't count because at that price range you're fishing for whales who want the fastest GPU no matter the price. The problem AMD has had is they're always just a hair cheaper than Nvidia.
If’s and but’s were chocolate and nuts…

The reasons are immaterial. No one wants an AMD GPU.

But I also love that there is an AMD GPU that meets the criteria even in your estimation and then you find an immediate reason to dismiss it. Further illustrating that cost isn’t good enough.

So thanks for proving my argument.
Software tricks are free, the GPU hardware is not. Even Intel's XeSS works on AMD and Nvidia GPU's.
Cool. Let me know when AMD can get DLSS, CUDA, DLAA, Reflex, and better drivers. While also finally having efficiency/temps that’s worth anything.

As for these cards, they probably shouldn’t be launched. It’s a waste of AMD’s resources that would be better spent on AI cards. No one will buy them anyway.

Last edited:
If’s and but’s were chocolate and nuts…

The reasons are immaterial. No one wants an AMD GPU.
AMD doesn't want to properly compete. Their stuff is either slower or not as feature rich. Fine, then lower prices. Not $30 cheaper, but a lot cheaper. Intel is doing this right now and will likely continue with BattleMage.
But I also love that there is an AMD GPU that meets the criteria even in your estimation and then you find an immediate reason to dismiss it. Further illustrating that cost isn’t good enough.
Because realistically anything above $600 is not mainstream. People do care about price to performance with GPU's under $600. Above $600 and people only care about the fastest. AMD could be $600 cheaper than Nvidia, but if you're not the fastest then you're not a consideration. AMD's mistake is they think like you, like they believe consumers care enough about an already overpriced GPU being slightly less overpriced.
Cool. Let me know when AMD can get DLSS, CUDA, DLAA, Reflex, and better drivers. While also finally having efficiency/temps that’s worth anything.
FSR, ROCm, nobody cares about DLAA and Reflex, and drivers are subjective.
As for these cards, they probably shouldn’t be launched. It’s a waste of AMD’s resources that would be better spent on AI cards. No one will buy them anyway.
As a consumer you do want them to release cards. It'll hopefully force someone to lower prices. The problem is that the 7700 is probably going to be $350 to $380, because I assume it's equivalent to the RTX 4060 Ti. The 7800 will be $500 to $550 since again it competes with the RTX 4070. Just like the 7600 it'll be a bit slower with much worse Ray-Tracing performance, but the price difference isn't enough to entice anyone to buy them. AMD needs to look at Intel and price as low as possible. Nvidia is making a huge mistake with their prices and AMD isn't capitalizing on it. The 7700 should be $230 with the 7800 at $300.

This video here shows exactly the problem with AMD. The difference between the 480, 5500, and 6500 is really small, with the 6500 coming out worse in newer titles than the older GPU's.

View: https://youtu.be/UphbfBPKycg

AMD doesn't want to properly compete. Their stuff is either slower or not as feature rich. Fine, then lower prices. Not $30 cheaper, but a lot cheaper. Intel is doing this right now and will likely continue with BattleMage.

Because realistically anything above $600 is not mainstream. People do care about price to performance with GPU's under $600. Above $600 and people only care about the fastest. AMD could be $600 cheaper than Nvidia, but if you're not the fastest then you're not a consideration. AMD's mistake is they think like you, like they believe consumers care enough about an already overpriced GPU being slightly less overpriced.

FSR, ROCm, nobody cares about DLAA and Reflex, and drivers are subjective.

As a consumer you do want them to release cards. It'll hopefully force someone to lower prices. The problem is that the 7700 is probably going to be $350 to $380, because I assume it's equivalent to the RTX 4060 Ti. The 7800 will be $500 to $550 since again it competes with the RTX 4070. Just like the 7600 it'll be a bit slower with much worse Ray-Tracing performance, but the price difference isn't enough to entice anyone to buy them. AMD needs to look at Intel and price as low as possible. Nvidia is making a huge mistake with their prices and AMD isn't capitalizing on it. The 7700 should be $230 with the 7800 at $300.

This video here shows exactly the problem with AMD. The difference between the 480, 5500, and 6500 is really small, with the 6500 coming out worse in newer titles than the older GPU's.

View: https://youtu.be/UphbfBPKycg

Longest list of excuses ever. You’re worse than an F1 driver.

nobody cares about DLAA and Reflex
Maybe (I am not sure for either, Baldur games 3 is a really big hit and DLAA can be more stable than TAA in movement, libraries of title where you have room to spare even at the native resolution of monitor will continue to just growth and growth over time), but media covering that space did speak like latency was a big deal for frame generation and Reflex keeping it lower than otherwise was important in that regard.

small_nvidia-dlss-3-reflex-latency-spider-man.jpg
small_nvidia-dlss-3-reflex-latency-portal-rtx.jpg

In some case DLSS3 had even less latency than DLSS2 without reflex on, all of a sudden it became useful outside the competitive gaming crowd and even if the people does not know it exist and that it is on.

Longest list of excuses ever. You’re worse than an F1 driver.

He isn't wrong though. AMD is decent, just not as good (overall). The problem is they are seen as a slightly inferior product with a slightly lower price. Their software/features are generally a generation behind, and their product releases generally lag as well. The 4070/4060ti have been out for a few months now. AMD will be what, 5-6 months late to the party? Even if people wanted to give AMD a chance, Nvidia was the only game in town with exception of last generation products. 5-6 months is a long time in the tech world so even if people were unhappy with Nvidia's $400-600 offerings, a lot of gamers already bought them.

If the products were on time and maybe priced a bit lower than they currently are we'd likely see some shift.

DLSS Frame Gen in Ratchet & Clank is was fairly impressive for me. I didn't think I noticed much latency issues, and for slower paced single player games it is likely fine. That is an example of something AMD will need to counter.

Back