AMD shows off 3.0 GHz Barcelona with 3x2900 XT?

Yeah I think a lot of people around here would be surprised by how infrequently some of us upgrade. I'm still running a 2600 AXP (on my primary desktop), and have no intention of upgrading until sometime in mid 2008.

I upgrade every 2.5 years. My Winny 3000+ was purchased in November 2004 and my core 2 in April of 07. Before that, my Tbird 1.0 was purchased January of '02 and Celly BP6 Summer of 99.

I think I'm the exception rather than the rule around here.. :) Still running a 1.5 year old 6800GT.

As Anand said,they are doing thier damndest to sugar coat a faulted launch.

Do you think he is unbiased? Now I've heard it all.

Why do you think Anand is always the first person to get all the latest Intel gear?

He has overtaken THG as Intels poster boy.

Why do you think Anand is always the first person to get all the latest Intel gear?

Duby is that you ? :D Or is this an understudy of yours ?

In all seriousness though,has anyone taken a look at the DT article,on the naming scheme the Phenoms will get tagged with ? 6550 ? 6650,and the 7k series,sounds like psychological warfare here. :D If you cant beat beat em,name your procs to
sound suspiciouly like them... Harkens back to Athlon XP naming scheme of its day.

Good on them of course,assuming the Phenom can kick Core2's butt soundly.

hmm, upon second reading that is sort of odd.

I think he meant to say "the Agena system" instead of "an Agena system?"

I doubt it. On one hand, AMD only allows journalists to take a boring photo of "System Properties." And on the other, he's playing Stronghold and looking at Task Manager? No one else is reporting this opportunity.

AMD has shown the Agena system a couple times already. It's entirely possible that he played during those other times or perhaps a partner has been showing off a similar system.

Wow, this is sad.

Kristopher Kubicki said:
To his credit, the image on DT and every other publication was canned -- AMD gave it to media. They did not let media take their own pictures of the demo systems. Nor would they disclose what speeds the demo systems were running at.

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=8221

Basically, the demo systems might or might not have been running at 3 GHz. That shot of 'System Properties' is almost worthless.

I like the fact that at least some journous have the balls to say the truth.

Read Ed's latest editorial on this farce.And people dont confuse hate,with being a realist,or calling a spade a spade.My god,even the pics are canned PR now. :eek:

This new twist,makes Ed's op ed,and the 'conspiracy theorist's' comments all the more damning now.

Wow, this is sad.

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=8221

Basically, the demo systems might or might not have been running at 3 GHz. That shot of 'System Properties' is almost worthless.

Hmm, that is what KK said in the responses. I wonder if we could get Steve to confirm. Steve, if you are reading this, did you actually see the system running the Windows Experience Index or any other application that might have revealed clock speed or did AMD disclose the clock speed?

Obviously, working under the assumption that people actually saw the 3.0 systems running made me confident that AMD had pulled it off. If no one actually saw the systems then that's another story. It also looks as if they'll be releasing a product at launch that only clocks from 2.2-2.4. I wonder why nothing was mentioned of the FX line. Those were supposed to be clocked 2.4-2.6 at launch. Has that information not been finalized?

And the plot thickens! Seriously, AMD is digging their own grave and feeling it in with their own sketchiness. Being all secretive when you arent in the position to do so, especially after the failure of the ATI launch, will only serve to shot yourself in the foot.

And knowing AMD's excellent pr team, they will let things stay as they are until the unveiling of Barcelona in August.

Read Ed's latest editorial on this farce.And people dont confuse hate,with being a realist,or calling a spade a spade.My god,even the pics are canned PR now. :eek:

This new twist,makes Ed's op ed,and the 'conspiracy theorist's' comments all the more damning now.

hahaha. I seriously hope you come back to this thread when the cpu is released.
If AMD faked this, they would be in jail.
Umm I'm pretty sure that it's Intel that is being taken to court in the EU ATM not AMD.
And linking to Ed Stroligo - now that's just plain dumb. I could provide links to Sharikou but I use my brains.

Do you seriously think AMD will give out benchmarks just because a bunch of 14 year olds are screaming for them?

BTW you are plainly showing your bias in your signature.
(Disgruntled 939 owner) What, don't you want better chips? Next you'll tell me Intel don't do this.
But thanks for the laugh.;)

Obviously, working under the assumption that people actually saw the 3.0 systems running made me confident that AMD had pulled it off.

Where did you get the idea that people didn't see the system running?

Of course they did and they played 2 demo games on it. They weren't allowed to benchmark it.
The reason that they gave out photos is because it's an analyst day. Analyst days are for talking about what's coming in the future, this wasn't only about the Phenom cpu. Also it was televised around the world on the net, so do you think people are going to sit there for 8 hours watching journos take happy snaps.
C'mon guys I thought some people would think about this instead of jumping to wild conclusions like Ed Stroligo and Manny whatever his name is.

i still remember the time when Intel demoed a system claiming to be 1ghz and when someone rebooted it by 'accident', turns out to be @600mhz. lol. But I think in AMD's financial situation, they are trying to avoid the Osbourne-effect. They also sold more CPUs in Q2 than Q1, which is a good despite the fact that they aren't getting much $ for it.

Of course they did and they played 2 demo games on it. They weren't allowed to benchmark it.
The reason that they gave out photos is because it's an analyst day. Analyst days are for talking about what's coming in the future, this wasn't only about the Phenom cpu. Also it was televised around the world on the net, so do you think people are going to sit there for 8 hours watching journos take happy snaps.
C'mon guys I thought some people would think about this instead of jumping to wild conclusions like Ed Stroligo and Manny whatever his name is.

I was assuming that they viewed the machines where they saw the Windows Experience Index screen to show them it was 3.0. According to Dailytech, the clock speed of the Phenom gaming machines wasn't disclosed. I wish someone at Hard would clear this up.

At least somebody possesses a modicum of common sense here. I guess my previous post went by largely unnoticed. You saved me a lot of trouble in an attempt to restore a balanced level of rationality in this thread.

Why not?

Spec are the only reliable benchmarks on the planet.

lol !

Well I actually think you're being serious.

1. In what ways does Anand "get the latest Intel gear"? They provide exclusive in depth articles on AMD's future also.

2. I prefer real world benchmarks composed of individual workloads than simple scores that can be tweaked up and down with unrealistic hardware configurations and compiler optimizations. Speccpu2000 put Intel way ahead but now that the field is leveled, spec=reliable?

I guess my previous post went by largely unnoticed.

No it didn't.
It stood out like dogs balls to me.
Once again, the only rational thought in a sea of innuendo...(That's an Italian suppository BTW;) )

The only person that can debunk this retarded argument of whether AMD was pulling a fast one by lying about it's demo model is the HardOCP journalist that were there.

I personally believe they would never try to pull a stupid stunt like that, but it would be cool to hear it from the editors themselves.

So Fellas, what is your take on this asinine argument put forward by some.

No it didn't.
It stood out like dogs balls to me.
Once again, the only rational thought in a sea of innuendo...(That's an Italian suppository BTW;) )
What?!!?

Bud, I was SUPPORTING your statement, not insulting you. My previous post reflected much of what you wrote.

What the hell is wrong with everybody in here??

It must be, sheesh. When two people are in complete agreement start flaming, there is something definitely not right about this.

Sorry Apollo you have taken this the wrong way.
I was absolutely agreeing with you, what I meant by "standing out in a sea of dogs balls' is, that you also were the only one making sensible comments. Like you stood out amongst all the doom and gloom.

Thankyou for the support :) .

The only person that can debunk this retarded argument of whether AMD was pulling a fast one by lying about it's demo model is the HardOCP journalist that were there.

I personally believe they would never try to pull a stupid stunt like that, but it would be cool to hear it from the editors themselves.

Exactly. It was the post on Dailytech that has everyone wondering. I think we just want to know if the machines that were gaming were the same machines that were running at 3.0. Did the editors see any evidence the machines were running at 3.0 or were they given a canned screenshot without seeing the experience index run?

Kubicki from Dailytech claims:

Kubicki said:
To his credit, the image on DT and every other publication was canned -- AMD gave it to media. They did not let media take their own pictures of the demo systems. Nor would they disclose what speeds the demo systems were running at.

He makes it sound like AMD would not say what speeds the Phenom gaming machines were running. The whole debate can be put to rest if Anand or Steve or any of the journalists that were there would describe the experience further. Of course, if AMD did disclose the speed and prove it to everyone then Kubicki will lose quite a bit of credibility. I don't think this is fanaticism, we just have journalists saying many different things and I, for one, wish it would get cleared up.

What say you HardOCP?

Oh no!

First we had links to Ed Stroligo, and now George Ou.

Surely you can find someone better than those two.

I'd take their words over yours any day, sorry dude.

That is what happens wwhen you show nothing...people start wondering.

Actually, reading back to Kubicki's previous posts about the Agena setup we have this:

Kubicki said:
AMD made two systems running the Agena processors available for media to play select games. The company would not let anyone view the system properties details, but sent the two featured images to press beforehand.

Source

So, if Kubicki is right, no member of the press actually saw any information on the machines that led them to believe they were running at 3.0. The media only got two canned screenshots, including one that showed an engineering sample running at 3.0. The fact that AMD wouldn't let anyone open the system properties was bound to raise a few eyebrows. When it comes down to it, none of us know how fast those Agenas were running.

It might also be true that Kubicki is just plain wrong and some members were allowed to see the system properties. Any luck Steve ;)?

Actually, reading back to Kubicki's previous posts about the Agena setup we have this:

Source

So, if Kubicki is right, no member of the press actually saw any information on the machines that led them to believe they were running at 3.0. The media only got two canned screenshots, including one that showed an engineering sample running at 3.0. The fact that AMD wouldn't let anyone open the system properties was bound to raise a few eyebrows. When it comes down to it, none of us know how fast those Agenas were running.

It might also be true that Kubicki is just plain wrong and some members were allowed to see the system properties. Any luck Steve ;)?

Good find!

People want to discuss, but there are no facts, benchmarks etc to form a basis for discussion except that it exists(?). This thread was bound to turn sour. It was a show, not a show-off.

yea amd dug their own grave here. If you are going to do something do it right not half-assed.

An article of the same claim was also posted in one of the west coasts premier newspapers, The Press-Enterprise. Whether the journalist who wrote the piece was actually there is another story. Maybe this went out through all the wires via the AP(associated press). I think it also went out through the National Enquire :D

I naver claimed they were lying about the speed of the chip.But like Intel,I wouldnt put anything past a company in thier horrible position.Intel is well capable of bullshit like this
as is AMD.The marketing dept at both are no more trustworthy then a pathalogical liar.

Take the emotion out of it,and read what Ed had to say,he is not for one second claiming that AMD is faking the chip speed,or that the end is nigh eithier! But given thier current predicament,they are playing loose and fast with a situation they should be standing strong,and proud with.I trust [H] benchmarks,and real world reviews,and until I see that,and it in my fave e-store,its all hogwash,and smoke and mirrors.AMD has zero cred with me.

Show me the money !! :D

Ed,makes some damn good points.Hate him or like him,he raised very valid issues with this PR 'stunt' And it is a PR stunt.I dont think AMD is going anywhere,but,I can forsee them seeking bankruptcy protection from creditors soon (another 3 or 4 quarters) if they keep pissing away other peoples money at the rate Wrector and company are doing.One
cant run a company into the ground at the rate Hector is doing and not expect a backlash
at some point soon.The only entity responsible for AMD's incredible lack of crediblity is AMD.Not me,or anyone else.

An excerpt from Ed's last op ed.

If you have to feed us BS, at least make it tasty!

I'd take their words over yours any day, sorry dude.

That is what happens wwhen you show nothing...people start wondering.

Anyone with a modicum of intelligence knows how silly you just made yourself look with that statement.

Back