AMD Ryzen 8000G Processors Launched for the AI PC Era + 5 series updates

MrGuvernment

Fully [H]
https://www.servethehome.com/amd-ryzen-8000g-processors-launched-for-the-ai-pc-era/

AMD announced a number of client CPU updates for CES 2024. The big theme for 2024 is going to be AI, and AMD pushed that narrative as well. The AMD Ryzen 8040 series got another bump, after being launched a month ago. We have new mainstream desktop Ryzen CPUs, and a few lower-cost options.
AMD Ryzen 8000G Processors Launched for the AI PC Era
Starting off is something we already covered, AMD Ryzen 8040 series brings together the AMD Zen 4 cores, RDNA 3 graphics, and the new XDNA NPU for local AI inference.

1704736729352.png

1704736747144.png

1704736758640.png

1704736770193.png

1704736798022.png

Previous post in 2023:
https://hardforum.com/threads/ryzen...y-break-cover-and-theyre-really-good.2031558/

I'd much rather they dump the iGPU and use the same number of transistors for a L4 cache. Would be more useful that an iGPU I'm always going to disable and never use.
Doesn't the 7xxxX3d's currently have the cache and iGPU? Do you need more than 96 MB to 128 MB (depending on which of the 7000 series you choose) right now?

Doesn't the 7xxxX3d's currently have the cache and iGPU? Do you need more than 96 MB to 128 MB (depending on which of the 7000 series you choose) right now?
Yes, the 7xxx series has the iGPU. I currently have a 7950 sitting next to me with the iGPU disabled. It's literally wasted transistors - any use of the those transistors would be more useful to me than an iGPU. As I think about it, you know what I want more than Cache? Use that same transistor budget to give me more PCIE lanes.

Maybe they will do like Intel and offer an F sku without iGPU

Yes, the 7xxx series has the iGPU. I currently have a 7950 sitting next to me with the iGPU disabled. It's literally wasted transistors - any use of the those transistors would be more useful to me than an iGPU. As I think about it, you know what I want more than Cache? Use that same transistor budget to give me more PCIE lanes.
That would be nice. I miss my old TR box with the extra lanes.

Curious on what OEM numbers are like for iGPU's and how many systems are sold with just the iGPU, vs the OEM's pushing to get an additional PCIe card..

Manufacturing wise, sure it simplifies SKU's because they are all with it now, vs some with some with out..?

Looking at a new build for the wife, and totally going with iGPU, as she does not need a dedicated card...so for many it likely makes sense...vs an add-on card...

Looking at a new build for the wife, and totally going with iGPU, as she does not need a dedicated card...so for many it likely makes sense...vs an add-on card...
It might make sense for that one off build, except you have to pay for it every time you build a new machine. Presuming she has an existing system, you could just carry over the GPU from that into the new system and costing you nothing, instead of paying for iGPU transistors. I've been moving the same Geforce 710 between home server builds for almost 10 years now.

Theoretically, the higher end parts in the notebook space are supposed to have more EUs for nearly low end desktop graphics parity. Maybe not this generation, I think that was strix point... But Yeah, I largely agree. This is a nothing burger that we are all expected to pay for that does next to nothing for the enthusiast user. In the vendor (HP, Dell) space, most of these will not ship with a companion Graphics Card. In the enthusiast space, these are pointless.

Valid, she does have an RX580, but i want to shrink her down to an mITX size system vs a microATX tower and system, so ditching the GPu entirely (also less heat and power)

Maybe AMD is taking a page from BMW, iGPU is on ever chip, but now you need an additional monthly subscription to active and use it!

Valid, she does have an RX580, but i want to shrink her down to an mITX size system vs a microATX tower and system, so ditching the GPu entirely (also less heat and power)

Maybe AMD is taking a page from BMW, iGPU is on ever chip, but now you need an additional monthly subscription to active and use it!
If the onboard GPUs are finally above 8 EUs (I think they go to 12 now), the possibility of ditching the discreet graphics is getting better.

Reactions: Wat
like this
Great, more integrated bullshit I'll never use but I'll have to pay for :/
Can this not be used for lower power hardware decoding etc? AMD was on about fusion for a bit 10 years back where the cpu and GPU would work together on everything . Seems like this is just added cpu power for parallel workloads if the software can figure it out.

Now what are the chances some AIB actually delivers us a cheap mITX board to pair with one of these?

Daddy's MAME cabinet needs an upgrade.

5700X3D @ $249... but what will it really be priced at...

5700 is odd to be "released" now... This was an OEM chip a while back..
This is just the crippled down 5700g without the iGPU and with half the cache... and PCIe Gen 3.. no Gen 4...

Last edited:
Show me something worthwhile (something I might actually use) that can utilize this "NPU" in an effective way, then I'll get excited about it.

I don't mind all CPUs having an iGPU actually. I'm currently running a RTX 4080 and a GTX 750ti. The 750ti is necessary because I run 6 monitors, but the RTX 4080 can only support 4. With an iGPU, I could presumably use the iGPU to power the extra monitors. I've done that before with older intel systems, using the iGPU for extra monitors.

Can this not be used for lower power hardware decoding etc? AMD was on about fusion for a bit 10 years back where the cpu and GPU would work together on everything . Seems like this is just added cpu power for parallel workloads if the software can figure it out.

It definitely is on mobile. And the entire UI is hardware accelerated.

Great, more integrated bullshit I'll never use but I'll have to pay for :/
I mean, these parts are APUs that market SPECIFICALLY for people who want integrated graphics...

There are other parts that don't have nearly as much integrated video... Like two Radeon cores that barely use 10% of the I/O Die. There are tons of features, instruction sets, security codecs, and redundancy built into these chips that 99% of people won't use all at once, but 100% of features get used.

Now what are the chances some AIB actually delivers us a cheap mITX board to pair with one of these?

Daddy's MAME cabinet needs an upgrade.
This, so tired of most mITX being $150+ CAD, if you can find those, otherwise it is $200 and then to like $299 CAD for an mITX board.

Personally I find having an iGPU is quite useful especially for troubleshooting, not everybody wants a dedicated GPU especially for budget builds.

Was hoping that AMD would announce Zen 5 CPU's but nothing so far. Probably because Intel's Meteor Lake isn't scheduled to arrive later on this year or next year AMD has no competition and has no incentive to release a new generation so soon.

My 7900x has an iGPU, which I dont' need :woot: and all that does is confuse software like speccy.

Amen brother.
Those iGPU’s don’t count, I have ASpeed GPU’s in 5 year old servers that outperform them.

My 7900x has an iGPU, which I dont' need :woot: and all that does is confuse software like speccy.

Amen brother.
The amount of transistors in the integrated GPU on standard 7000 series CPUs is tiny. It would not make a noticable difference to Die Size if left out, and the transistors in it aren't enough to make measurable more cache or PCI-E lanes. iGPUs confusing software IS a problem, though.

Thanks to Intel, we know that the 8000 number just goes by year. If these had new CPU cores like Zen5 then there's value to be had, but integrated GPU's and AI just seems like a crappy way to entice someone to upgrade. It's not exactly built on a newer better TSMC manufacturer process to save on power and better clocks. Even the 780m is only available unless you get the 8 core 8700G, which seems like a dick move. If there's something AMD should do is find a way to lower the prices of AM5 motherboards. You can get a AM5 motherboard for as low as $75, but that's an A620M. I don't get out of bed for anything less than a B650, and not a B650M let alone a A620M. In that case I'd be looking at a MSI PRO B650-S WIFI which is $160, which is still a lot of money for that kind of motherboard. For comparison, the MSI B550 GAMING GEN3 is $113. It's no wonder why AMD still sells Ryzen 5000 series CPU's in 2024.

Thanks to Intel, we know that the 8000 number just goes by year. If these had new CPU cores like Zen5 then there's value to be had, but integrated GPU's and AI just seems like a crappy way to entice someone to upgrade. It's not exactly built on a newer better TSMC manufacturer process to save on power and better clocks. Even the 780m is only available unless you get the 8 core 8700G, which seems like a dick move. If there's something AMD should do is find a way to lower the prices of AM5 motherboards. You can get a AM5 motherboard for as low as $75, but that's an A620M. I don't get out of bed for anything less than a B650, and not a B650M let alone a A620M. In that case I'd be looking at a MSI PRO B650-S WIFI which is $160, which is still a lot of money for that kind of motherboard. For comparison, the MSI B550 GAMING GEN3 is $113. It's no wonder why AMD still sells Ryzen 5000 series CPU's in 2024.
These are literally the laptop chips they never released now in a desktop format.

These should have been out a year ago.

The Intel Meteor Lake iGPU outperforms the 780M by about 10% on average, but it’s a 28w laptop component that is OEM only.

Really hoping Intel gets a 65w desktop version of it some time soon because I need a new MAME cabinet. Thanks BChydro! And I don’t want to reward AMD for this late boring release.

I was initially really excited for this but the more I look into them the more I feel bad about it. It may be better getting a NUC format pre build than trying to build a mITX system to fit in the new cabinet.

I want the new unit to double as storage for my hobby stuffs.

Frankly after the last 2 gpu bubble, small emergency iGPU vs today transistor budget (the K vs F intel CPU does not have a vast difference, despite intel superior iGPU offering) is a nice plus and once you turn your PC into a server in its second life can still be nice to have a monitor from time to time for the setup with regular motherboards.

Once the multigpu-cpu software-hardware stack get good enough could find some use for everyone.

Has for the lost of choice it can be compensated by the gain of simpler sku stack (I am sure some people would have loved to have car with no radio to save money, with all that it implies on inventory, lines, etc... how much do you end up saving) and economy of scales.

Will see if local AI hardware will help with latency

Last edited:
That's exactly the problem.

When everything is bundled you lose the choice.

If you need a new CPU you are pretty much forced to buy all the unwanted crap it comes with. Same with motherboards.
Considering simplicity of product stack and volume discounts, it's actually cheaper.
What you're describing isn't how it works. You don't pay for CPUs by the transistor, it's design and development, testing, then revisions, etc. then you pay for the physical thing. Combining the fixed costs actually leads to a cheaper end product. You could pay more for less features, that's an option. But this idea that you're somehow paying for something you don't need, isn't accurate. If you don't want it, your item would actually cost more.

Yep, just one thing after another I'm forced to pay for things I do not want.

All of the on board garbage on motherboards, integrated GPU's and AI nonsense in CPU's etc. etc.

I want none of it.
I use to feel the same way, but I now actually like they are putting in a iGPU now. Mainly because I want to run Nitrux linux and use vmetal to run a virtualized windows box with my 3090 as it's dedicated GPU. I'd run nitrux now but I can't because I just don't have a free PCI slot for another GPU even though I do have an unused 1080Ti in a box. As far as all the other stuff on the MB, I felt the same for the longest time, but I have found most of the integrated things to be more used than unused. The only thing I don't really need is the sound output since I use an external USB connected one. I don't use the 10G ethernet port either, but I am still glad it's there because when I eventually buy a 10G switch and run some fiber wire I won't need to buy a card for the machines with them or mess with the internals to figure out how to plug in a 10G network card into an non existent free PCI slot.

Great more useless AI bull. More acceleration to our extinction.
This seem contradictory, either it is useless or it is so useful and transformative that it could cause our extinction because it will be used.

Back