AMD RMA - Is someone at AMD running a scam of some kind?

Tanquen

[H]ard|Gawd
I sent in an RMA request with pictures and I just got an email requesting more pictures. First they say I didn't send them a picture. Then they say the picture of the CPU needs to be of the CPU mounted on the motherboard, which it was, and all the lettering needs to be clear, which it was. Then they say they need a picture of the receipt because it was corrupted. I didn't bother to label the picture files (4 of them) so I'm not sure how they knew I sent a picture of the receipt but it was corrupted. None of this really makes sense to me.

Are they just trying to make sure the CPU is real? Like the first one was photoshopped or something or someone there is trying to get the invoice info outside of the RMA portal? Paranoid I know but that CPU pic was perfect. ???

"Another photograph using a digital camera / cellphone with the processor mounted on the motherboard socket, that clearly shows the serial number and model number."
1686323659263.png

Last edited:
I had this runaround with them last time I RMA'd a chip. It was a 5800X iirc. I finally emailed them and asked if they were going to honor the warranty or I was going to throw their shit inthe trash and never buy an AMD product again as long as I live and they approved me about 5 minutes later.

Everything is like this now and most people working for these companies are dumb as hell. Netgear had me on a roller coaster of BS, test this, take pics of this and that and the invoice. Then do this try that. We didn't get the pics you sent, the wrong pics blah blah blah. The good old days are gone boys ! Get used to banging your head against the wall. Technology wins again...

I had to RMA a pump to EK once. It took about 4 or 5 days to get it done. I would send an email with a picture, they would reply the next day (due to the timezone difference). I had to send a couple of different videos demonstrating the leak and then they shipped me a replacement. Compared to most places, I guess I got good service. The only downer was that they sent me a replacement pump that still used a molex power plug when they didn't even have that model available on their website anymore as it had been superseded by a SATA power version. I would have like to have gotten the newer one. All other specs were the same.

I went ahead and sent another pic but I don't see how asking for the same thing I've already sent is weeding out any scammers. If they get a fake CPU or something else, they can just deny the claim/RMA.

I went ahead and sent another pic but I don't see how asking for the same thing I've already sent is weeding out any scammers. If they get a fake CPU or something else, they can just deny the claim/RMA.
wouldn't surprise me if they're getting screwed over by scammers with this 7800x3d issue so they're being told to crack down on it. this happened before when they were doing the gimped cpu deal for people to upgrade bios(can't remember which generation it was). then they were finding those cpu's being sold on fleabay so they had to crack down on the RMA process for about a year.

youve got the idea backwards. they are not trying to scam you, they are making sure you arent trying to scam them. do what they ask and it should be all good.
thank the a-holes that have scammed them and other companies so often.
That's the charitable interpretation. The uncharitable interpretation is they are intentionally giving paying customers the runaround because a certain percentage of people will grow frustrated, give up, and save them the cost of replacing the faulty product.

I've never not got a warranty replacement or mail-in rebate honoured, but I am a stubborn pedant and I'm sure these companies know that temperament is in the minority.

That's the charitable interpretation. The uncharitable interpretation is they are intentionally giving paying customers the runaround because a certain percentage of people will grow frustrated, give up, and save them the cost of replacing the faulty product.

I've never not got a warranty replacement or mail-in rebate honoured, but I am a stubborn pedant and I'm sure these companies know that temperament is in the minority.
It's always the same kind of nonsense. Want to buy something? There's thousands of operators standing by. Need a couple of minutes of our global gold standard support team? Can you wait on hold for 30 minutes to an hour? Screw that, we're only email support now. We might get back to you in several days to several weeks. With gold standard IT troubleshooting options like, do you have another $600 motherboard laying around that you can try the CPU in? They specialize in CPUs for how many years and there's no testing software that I could run? It can be very frustrating.

Then there's the constant zero respect for your time and expense. I just went through a buyback with an electric truck manufacturer and I think it's been close to 6 months. There were issues on the vehicle the day I picked it up. They agreed to buy it back in January and have now had it for over 3 weeks and still haven't cut me a check. How about minimum wage for the 80 plus hours, I've spent messing with them and the vehicle?

youve got the idea backwards. they are not trying to scam you, they are making sure you arent trying to scam them. do what they ask and it should be all good.
thank the a-holes that have scammed them and other companies so often.
True.

There were issues on the vehicle the day I picked it up. They agreed to buy it back in January and have now had it for over 3 weeks and still haven't cut me a check.

Who regulates lemon law in your state, or the state of purchase if it's not the same one... File a complaint and the check will find a way to get cut.

Who regulates lemon law in your state, or the state of purchase if it's not the same one... File a complaint and the check will find a way to get cut.
I don't think the lemon law comes into play even though they spent 2 months trying to fix things and made it worse. They're always super nice about it and I know I'll get the check eventually, but everyone's so comfortable wasting everybody else's time because they're so disorganized.

I don't think the lemon law comes into play even though they spent 2 months trying to fix things and made it worse. They're always super nice about it and I know I'll get the check eventually, but everyone's so comfortable wasting everybody else's time because they're so disorganized.

Depends on your state, but two months out of service on a new vehicle likely fits. You can word your complaint nicely, and then the regulator will likely just send a 'hey, what's going on with Tanquen's truck,' and they'll want to say that the check was sent and everything is fine.

They did send me a new one. It was fast once they agreed to do it. Now I need to sell it, I wonder if it best to open it and test it while I still have a AM4 MB or jest sell it boxed?

They did send me a new one. It was fast once they agreed to do it. Now I need to sell it, I wonder if it best to open it and test it while I still have a AM4 MB or jest sell it boxed?
atodaso ;) sell it sealed and state "as-is, talk to amd for any support".

Back