AMD RAM kits. 16GB kit for $80. 8GB kit for $40

Whats the catch? Confused.

Ah, its pretty high latency memory:
AMD Entertainment Edition 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 PC-12800 CL11 1600MHz 1.5V Low Profile Heatsink 240-pin 2pc Kit

Still, seems like CAS11 PC-12800 goes for around $130ish. So you could go for 32 gigs for just $160 bucks with the AMD stuff. Hmmm, anyone know how important latency is and overclocking of this RAM for a multi-purpose gaming rig?

I know in advertising of memory they always talk about how they only use the best of the best chips and its "highly screened" and so forth, which makes me wonder what they do with the shitty chips, and perhaps they end up in these budget ram offerings?

Last edited:
Yea, I'm wondering what's going on here, too. The price is half what it is anywhere else.

I think these are the "first gen" kits. All the new ones now are like R9, R7 series.

EDIT: These might be built by Patriot.

I didn't know we were splitting hairs.
I'm just always a skeptic, trying to figure out if something is a brief promotion, a coupon stacking oversight, a price mistake, a budget or last generation product... after a decade of slickdeals, too many times I've been like "ohhhh, so that's why it was cheap" lol!

Didn't mean to be a debbie downer.

I'm just always a skeptic, trying to figure out if something is a brief promotion, a coupon stacking oversight, a price mistake, a budget or last generation product... after a decade of slickdeals, too many times I've been like "ohhhh, so that's why it was cheap" lol!

Didn't mean to be a debbie downer.

You're not alone. Cynicism may not be appreciated as an attribute, but it tends to keep me from wasting money after 'checking the angles' and finding the catches.

Pricing for the R5 series units here is very nearly the same.*

*Nope, I'm wrong, it's still almost double the pricing on the Visiontek site

I don't think it is a case of splitting hairs. I think people are just expecting there to be some kind of catch when a site is offering memory for literally half the price of the biggest sellers (i.e. Newegg, Amazon, etc.).

On a semi-related note, is it wrong to run this memory on an Intel rig? Not in the sense that it won't work, because it certainly should, but more of a "don't cross the streams" kind of wrong :D

oh. well this was posted on Visionteks facebook page. And I quote:
jFKSQ2r.jpg

I have bought a few things from them. They are located in Chicago. I always get my packages within 2 days. I trust them, and they are easy to reach out too.

it's still almost double the pricing on the Visiontek site
Yup, same on Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA24G28M5850

Fuck it, its passed my "bullshit test", I can't find anything wrong with this. Obviously not high performance ram, but its half price. In for a 16GB kit.

Thanks!

This shows it works with ramdisk (never tried that), but not with their XMP and AMP ready tools (assume just overclocking stuff):
http://www.amd.com/en-us/products/memory/overview

Ramdisk seemed pointless since it says up to 6GB, but apparently that's just the "trial" version AMD memory comes with. You have to actually pay for RAMdisk software to unlock up to 64GB, at which point two 16GB cheap sticks like this would make sense. And you need a big ramdisk if you plan to fit any game on it.

Regarding performance loss of slower latency ram like this for gaming, seems the answer is it doesn't matter all that much:
http://techbuyersguru.com/ramspeedgaming.php

Edit: In Texas, a single 16GB kit after tax+shipping comes out to $93.42. Buying two kits doesn't change the fedex ground shipping cost of $7.

Last edited:
I don't think it is a case of splitting hairs. I think people are just expecting there to be some kind of catch when a site is offering memory for literally half the price of the biggest sellers (i.e. Newegg, Amazon, etc.).

On a semi-related note, is it wrong to run this memory on an Intel rig? Not in the sense that it won't work, because it certainly should, but more of a "don't cross the streams" kind of wrong :D

As far as I know it's just re-branded Patriot memory.

Just an FYI: I'm fairly certain Radeon RAMDisk is literally just a rebrand of DataRAM's RAMDisk software since I've used them both.
A gimped useless version it appears, as it only works up to 6GB which is too small. I do have a UPS and usually use "sleep", but would still have to wonder if its worth it.

I had previously upgraded most of my desktop PC's (4) to 16GB each, so it wasn't so hard to pass on this.

However, I saw a chance to upgrade some laptops with 2x4GB SODIMM's to replace a couple of 2x2GB configurations. The SODIMMS are not quite half the price of other vendors' offerings, but still a hefty discount (especially when the $7 shipping is split over 4 modules).

Update: looks like the good 8GB kits are already sold out.

A gimped useless version it appears, as it only works up to 6GB which is too small. I do have a UPS and usually use "sleep", but would still have to wonder if its worth it.

They used give you different versions depending on the memory line (eg. consumer vs enthusiast) you bought (higher line gave a version with a larger ramdisk). The highest end AMD memory came with a code for a version that allowed a 64GB ramdisk.

I think, at least when I last checked, they don't do this anymore and it's only a rather basic version with limited capacity.

This shows it works with ramdisk (never tried that)

Uhm. Ramdisks work on 100% of RAM, as long as it is stable in your system :p

I have found them of limited usefulness though, especially now that SSD's are so cheap.

I DID use a 16GB ramdisk for Red Orchestra II though, to reduce new map load times. It worked well, but was a little bit of a pain, as I hat to load my ramdisk image from disk, and save it back all the time.

I don't need 64 gb, I don't need 64 gb... I DON'T NEED IT.

*mouse hovers over buy

almost ordered 16gb... realized it was 1333. sigh.
Didn't need it since I already have two rigs with 16gb each.
Though it would have been a nice backup :D

Well, I have been running off of 16GB of ram for at least the last 3.5 Years. I have 16GB at home of 1600 Speed ram at 8CL which is fine for the stuff I do at home. However, at work, I will enjoy having this 32GB of ram that I just bought at 1333 speed. ( 4 x 8 GB to replace my 4 x 4 GB of 1333 ram I have in my computer at work now.)

Thanks OP.

the 6 GB limit is for the free version

Looks like the price went up as well. Oh well, didn't need but impulse to buy was great.

So far, all I have is a charge pending on my card but no confirmation email yet. :( I called and they said no order went through and to try again. I did so a few hours later, same pending charge and no email. Oh well, I will call them on Monday and make sure they only send one set out if they do at all.

Back