AMD quad budget rig?

s10010001

Supreme [H]ardness
Im looking to build a budget system on a AMD quad core. Ill need a mATX board, 8gb ram and a quad core. I already have everything else including some SSDs. I looked around and there are so many AMD quads in the low price ranges 100 ish. What should I go with?

The PC if for Lightroom, Photoshop, and other general tasks. Not gaming.

Im looking for a good performance boost form my Core2 Quad/x38/8gb setup.

Thanks.. also what chipset is best for this?

EDIT: BTW I dont need onboard GPU, I have a GPU for my rig.

Wait for the 2nd gen AMD cpus to come out near the end of the month. You will get much better performance out of them then bulldozer

Im looking to build a budget system on a AMD quad core. Ill need a mATX board, 8gb ram and a quad core. I already have everything else including some SSDs. I looked around and there are so many AMD quads in the low price ranges 100 ish. What should I go with?

The PC if for Lightroom, Photoshop, and other general tasks. Not gaming.

Im looking for a good performance boost form my Core2 Quad/x38/8gb setup.

Thanks.. also what chipset is best for this?

EDIT: BTW I dont need onboard GPU, I have a GPU for my rig.

If your looking for a good boost, then it wont be an AMD cpu. If photoshop/lightroom use more then 4 cores, then maybe a 6/8 core depending on your motherboard. If they do use more then 4, then that would be a good boost in those areas, otherwise, nothing really.

If you want a SUPER awesome boost, then go with the 2500k/3570k Intel.
I own both Intel and AMD so not really cheering for one side or the other.

If your looking for a good boost, then it wont be an AMD cpu. If photoshop/lightroom use more then 4 cores, then maybe a 6/8 core depending on your motherboard. If they do use more then 4, then that would be a good boost in those areas, otherwise, nothing really.

If you want a SUPER awesome boost, then go with the 2500k/3570k Intel.
I own both Intel and AMD so not really cheering for one side or the other.

my CPU is a [email protected]

For the Photoshop work I do (strictly raw processing) 4 cores is enough, Lightroom.. my PC at work is a 6 core Intel Xeon and LR doesn't really touch all 6 cores.

So the AMD Quad cores that sit under $120 wont be faster than my Core2 Quad eh? bummer.

my CPU is a [email protected]

For the Photoshop work I do (strictly raw processing) 4 cores is enough, Lightroom.. my PC at work is a 6 core Intel Xeon and LR doesn't really touch all 6 cores.

So the AMD Quad cores that sit under $120 wont be faster than my Core2 Quad eh? bummer.

If you put a good cooler on a fx4100/fx6100 you might be able to do 4.5ghz+(if your MB supports it), or get a thuban x6 1090/1100 and OC that.

I use lightroom (4) and the FX6100..yes it will make use of more cores I would say that CPU is quite a bit quicker than a [email protected] for that type of work anyway.

You could go to the FX8 series but I think the FX6100 is about the best priced/bang per buck AMD cpu right now I bought a batch of them for some builds and liked it so much I kept one for my own rig. It's also surprisingly quick for video work too (if you do any) I updated from a quad core PhII 840 @3.2Ghz and that was quite a good processor..but the FX6100 is a decent step up on the Intel

Really a Deneb/Thuban quad/6-core would be a noticeable upgrade..but..problem:You have to overclock it to 4.0 or better.
problem 2:There are no good mATX AMD boards for overclocking.
solution:Cheap $30 delivered mid-tower from Newegg.
I tell ya what..I changed from a q6600 to a hmm..Phenom II x2 560 last night..The AMD is much mo' bettah.
PLUS..no random freezes :D
of course I OC everything..q6600=3.6..callisto=4.4 :D it's pretty nice ;)

ok, looking at the numbers ill just hold off. im wining a P45 motherboard on ebay for 21$. If I win that, I can get this Q6600 on a good overclocking board and hopefully get 3.5 out of it on water to hold me off, and get me out of the dell case.

thanks for the help gents.

I'm not 100% versed in all the happenings of AMD

I just built myself a CHEAP rig that's surprising me more and more each day. Picked up the new A10 CPU, on a MSI FM2 motherboard. Bought a 17 dollar case on newegg, had some spare ram and PSU and a 120GB ssd laying around... I was in business for practically nothing.

Primary purpose of the rig is bitcoin mining with a 7970, just keeping the rig in the other room so it doesn't heat up mine :) secondary is serving media to my room mates roku. The extra cool part is the APU can churn out 85Mhash/sec which is impressive for an integrated part like this.

I'm not sad in the least I didn't wait for the latest and greatest -- for as cheap as this setup was, it does exactly what I need.

AMD won some credit with me -- I'm normally a rather big fan of my i5 system.

Back