AMD Phenom II X6 1060T Voltage Drift?

Don Wong

Weaksauce
According to CPU-Z, the CPU voltage seems to drift as much as .10-.12 volt when my BIOS Voltage is set manually or auto.

I'm wondering if this is adding to system stability, especially overclocking.

Is the only accurate voltage numbers read in the BIOS? They seem much more stable there.

I have a good power supply Corsair HX750.

If you're talking about CPU voltages under load, then two things may contribute to what you are seeing.

First off, if you have cool 'n quiet enabled, Your processor is switching between P-states depending on the load. Each of these P-states will have a different voltage setting, probably ranging from 0.9V up to ~1.4V. Even moving your mouse around the screen or 'shaking' the CPU-Z windows will may cause the CPU to switch between P-states.

Second, if your CPU is heavilty loaded, the voltage will droop (look up vdroop). The amount of vdroop depends on the quality of the motherboard VRMs and the amount and type of load.

Most boards do add more voltage at load to help with stability, but the amount is hard to truly tell without checking by hand. The BIOS reading is only reading what the voltage is that has been selected as a target, which is why you don't see it move. In actuality, the voltage going to the CPU is not steady at all, there will be plenty of variations.

You're probably just seeing Turbo Core in action. Automatic overclock and overvolting.

That's a Asus board. Did the cpu clocked itself down yet? there was something about a Mosfet downclocking itself with the Asus board

Back