AMD Mobile and Opteron processors

Out of curiosity, does anyone have any experience using Athlon XP-M or Athlon 64-M processors on desktops? Also, in general, would a dual Opteron system (probably 244's or 246's) outperform a single FX 53 or 55 in terms of gaming and just general usage as well? I am planning to build a completely new system later this year and am currently throwing around my options. OR would it be better to wait until the dual core processors come out? Any suggestions would be helpful.

A1rocketpilot

XP-Ms work great in desktop boards - they're notorious for being monster overclockers.

As for the Opteron - if you're gaming, don't waste your money on an SMP rig - almost nothing will make use of it. A single Opteron 244 is virtually the same as an A64 3000 (939) - the FXs will smoke it in gaming performance.

Thanks for the info. Now my main question is whether I should bother to upgrade my current system (AXP 2200+ Tbred, Asus A7v333, 512 MB Corsair XMS, GeForce 4 TI 4200) with some newer parts, mainly a new processor, another 512 MB stick, and maybe another GPU, or just hold out and wait and build an A64 system in the future. The reason I asked about the mobile processors was that since my motherboard is limited to a 266 MHz FSB, I can't use any of the newer desktop versions of the AXP, whereas the XP-M has a 266 FSB for all of its lineup. So in the end, is it worth upgrading this (and if so, how much more time can I squeeze out of it) or hold off and just build an A64 system in the future?

Back