AMD & Intel: CPU hardware backdoors

Basically, because a processor’s microcode can be modified through official channels – either through Microsoft as a security update, or by a manufacturer-issued patch – it’s fairly easy to gain access to any machine running either an AMD or Intel CPU

The patch space is not large. Infeasible via this method. Tin foil.

Considering that the NSA all ready has the ability to monitor 100% of landline, cellphone, and Internet communication does it really matter if they can remotely spy on its user via a CPU backdoor? Does gaining the ability to remotely control a user's PC when they all ready have all of its communication with outside parties really give them more than what they currently have?

^ Does the NSA have access to foreign landlines and ISPs? i imagine this technique would be useful for spying in other countries by compromising servers' cpus.

on a side note, does anyone think this is coming to light because of snowden leaks?

I do not think a backdoor on a cpu would be effective for spying.
I do think a backdoor could be used to, say shut it off, perhaps.
Which would be beneficial if, say it were part of a weapons system, or servers which the gov't would want to shut off.
However, I do not have any skill set, nor knowledge of the engineering necessary to create such. So, I merely speculate.

Again, I do not see the benefit for spying. They have enough capabilities elsewhere.

^ Does the NSA have access to foreign landlines and ISPs? i imagine this technique would be useful for spying in other countries by compromising servers' cpus.

on a side note, does anyone think this is coming to light because of snowden leaks?

You must not have seen this story:

Newly-Leaked NSA Slide Shows that NSA Is Tapping All Data from Main Undersea Phone and Internet Cables

The Government Has Been Tapping Undersea Cables … And Started Before 9/11

http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2013...-main-undersea-phone-and-internet-cables.html

(Note, not the tin foil hat type)

However, a many, many years ago this was talked of. An attack using microcode that is pushed to the processor during the Athlon and P4 days-nothing new. Note, the patch space does not need to be large enough. It just needs to be capable to open a hole in which a compromise can be executed. There are attacks that utilize a processor's cache to make it execute code, such as the one for SOHO routers using MIPs cores. Even the P4 had a Hyper-Threading attack.

Everything has a door........This is more of the Jews of Masada issue (the people that doubt and feel secure). Right now there is a Roman Empire of attacks (those that do not doubt-just want) coming at consumers, governments, corporations, et al.

Utter nonsense. I think this is nothing more than people trying to run with the whole Snowden whistleblowing thing.

IMHO a CPU backdoor would require too much upload bandwidth to be a useful spying tool. The data processing capabilities of these CPUs is too great to be transmitted easily and unnoticed by savvy end users.

You got to admire the people who run these stupid stories. NSA have CPU back doors but need a USB virus to get to Iran nuclear facility?

It goes everywhere this story. Sadly nothing in the non fiction category.

Even if it was true you still need something like TCP/IP to get data anywhere, or does the NSA make house calls .to collect the data manually , likely no, stupid story yes :) .

New Intel CPUs have a 3G chip in them as part of Intel Anti-Theft Protection 3.0

This combined with Intel vPro means Intel can access any data on you computer as long as it plugged in, you don't even need to be connected to the Internet, you CPU has its own connection.

They could also monitor every thing you do on you computer independent of the OS.

This is one possible way they could have a backdroor. Although their may be limitations with AT 3.0 and vPro that we don't know about.

also, there was the Pentium III with PSN, used to identify individuals online.

Right because people's NICs didn't have MACs at that point. :rolleyes:

(Where's the nut job that talks about the illuminati in this thread? He seems to be missing.)

Right because people's NICs didn't have MACs at that point. :rolleyes:

(Where's the nut job that talks about the illuminati in this thread? He seems to be missing.)

Actually nice did have Mac addresses back then.

New Intel CPUs have a 3G chip in them as part of Intel Anti-Theft Protection 3.0

This combined with Intel vPro means Intel can access any data on you computer as long as it plugged in, you don't even need to be connected to the Internet, you CPU has its own connection.

They could also monitor every thing you do on you computer independent of the OS.

This is one possible way they could have a backdroor. Although their may be limitations with AT 3.0 and vPro that we don't know about.
not-sure-if-trolling-or-just-stupid.jpg

Why would Intel put a 3G cellular modem into any cpu other than some system on chip designed for a cell phone? It costs Intel resources in the form of development, money spent, and die space lost. Not only that, but you have a giant chunk of aluminum and copper sitting directly on top of it in the form of a heatsink. Last time I checked, aluminum and copper block RF signals pretty damn well. If you were to even entertain if this is anywhere plausible, the simplest way to make the attack would have the signal travel into and out of another already existing networking port such as a wired or wireless NIC attached to the computer.

Actually nice did have Mac addresses back then.
That's exactly what he said, or do you not read sarcasm? That's why he put the emoticon :rolleyes: (rolleyes = sarcasm). ffs people...

^LOL! I'm actually surprised no one mentioned the illuminati yet myself. So many silly people around these parts... 3G included in a desktop CPU, just lmao! :p

With the next update, Intel Anti-Theft Protection 3.1 will be adding a GPS chip next to that 3G chip so they can physically track your computers location! :D:D:D

Which is exactly why Linux only mixes the hw prng into the random pool vs exclusively relying on it for numbers directly.

The point of the post, is more due to the fact that some that posted here think that it is not possible to "hack" a processor.

not-sure-if-trolling-or-just-stupid.jpg

Why would Intel put a 3G cellular modem into any cpu other than some system on chip designed for a cell phone? It costs Intel resources in the form of development, money spent, and die space lost. Not only that, but you have a giant chunk of aluminum and copper sitting directly on top of it in the form of a heatsink. Last time I checked, aluminum and copper block RF signals pretty damn well. If you were to even entertain if this is anywhere plausible, the simplest way to make the attack would have the signal travel into and out of another already existing networking port such as a wired or wireless NIC attached to the computer.

That's exactly what he said, or do you not read sarcasm? That's why he put the emoticon :rolleyes: (rolleyes = sarcasm). ffs people...

most comm hardware is put under a metal shield to block interfering radio signals that don't match the desired frequency . The only things that need to be exposed are the antennas, which could easily be fed out through the landings or balls on the bottom of the package.

The backdoor would be to compromise the OS and upload through that... Updates on this issue? People imply that AMD is less likely backdoor'd than Intel, but what is there to back this up? I don't find this discussion unreasonable... People used to be interested in TEMPEST back in the day - and now few hobbyists or professionals are even interested in CPUs that can backdoor their system! Seems like tech culture is degenerating like the rest!

Yes and Amazon Echo does t always record to Amazon servers said EVERYONE, but a recent murder Investigation subpoenaed the echo recordings of the device as it was a murder witness.

You can Google the article.

The govt advanced agencies have 20 maybe 30 years advanced tech we cant even dream of. Tin foil ... lol that's not even strong enough of a shield.

Hmm... This does sound a bit worrisome. Is there a third alternative to AMD and Intel, or are these the only two companies that make CPUs?

Snowden is a winner. Pardon his now.

Back