AMD HD6990+ HD6970 Temp question

refraxion

[H]F Junkie
Anyone who owns this Tri-Fire setup, can you tell me what kind of temps you are getting with the stock coolers?

My GTX 580's is running quite hot and I would really like to see if I can get an alternative instead.

If you go with some good watercooling the temps will be ALOT better.

Plese tell me you're not switching brands just for temperature reasons? GPUs are fine with running at 95C on a daily basis.

Hmmm temps are a reason for change, but I've been reading where 97 is the "safe max temp" but wouldn't that be pretty close for comfort if it runs along those temps? My top card reached 95 while playing bf bc2. Fans were on overdrive too lol

no the gpu's are designed to handle temps that high.. i mean hell my 8800GS use to constantly hit 130C and kept on going like nothing ever happened.

I doubt that, the shutdown threshold is set lower than 130, but it's common for VRM temps to reach 130.

It's not ideal (if you can live with the noise), but it shouldn't cause any major issues. The GTX580 GPUs are built a fair bit better than the cruddy 8/9 series. The fact that the temps are that high imply an issue with board spacing and case cooling though, so switching brands wouldn't change things there anyway.

Yeah I don't think the corsair 650D is ideal in regards to cooling, but two 5870s in CF never produced heat that high. I really need to get a mesh side panel to either exhaust that heat, or have some more cold air intake.

Also just to add, wouldn't the exhaust from the AMD cards fare a bit better since it also exhausts to the back of the case? Whereas the nvidia cards exhaust inside only afaik?

My mistake, I assumed because you were looking at three GPUs with AMD, you had three GTX580s. With only two cards, 95C is quite high, but cards like those Asus Matrix GPUs perform very poorly in SLI because there is not enough space between them for the air to escape. The stock coolers on reference GTX580s and radeons will perform better in such environments (but may be noisier).

Oh, so do you think by going 6990 and 6970 it will give me same temps asni have right now (but for good reason?) since it's three cards. Seems like there would be some room for the cards to breathe a bit more, as well as temps can be regulated with the exhaust out the bak of the case. (6990 exhausts both ways but I think it'll be better than the 580s that exhaust all inside). Thanks for the feedback!

You shouldn't see any higher than 95, probably slightly less (88-90), but the fan noise may well be higher. That's a lot of heat those cards put out, a 6990+6970 use 570W or so, whereas two GTX580s are only 490W.

Thanks for the info, I might just switch to that instead. I was hoping the matrix would have been bit cooler being a 3 slot solution but the GTX 580s being so close together really hinder the cooling solution for sure.

One Matrix would be unquestionably cooler than the normal GTX580, but in SLI the situation reverses.

I'm thinking I will switch to the 6990 and 6970 if it produces the same amount of heat. Plus exhausting out the case is a plus too

Like I say, it'll be about a 20% increase in heat, but counteracted by the fact that the majority of it (not all, the 6990 exhausts some heat inside the case) goes outside the case. Again though, the fan speed of the 6990 when in crossfire with another card will be quite considerable, so this is not a quiet setup.

Back