amd good content creation cpu or...

DrDeathGNJ

Gawd
Stick with intel for that? I am of course a heavy gamer but I also do adobe, office and cad work to so take this into account.

Cost matters in upgrade but I do not want to sell myself short just for cost. Performance does matter over all.

get a i7 920 and oc it then ull be good
or wait for that i7 980 extreme cpu with 6 cores and 12 threads

well it really depends.. adobe, and most newer CAD applications are all cuda supported so would use very little cpu power for rendering.. office its not really that big of a deal..

really depends on what you want to spend in the end..an i7 920 would be overkill and half for what you plan to use.. if you were doing encoding/video rendering then id say go with the i5 or i7 LGA1156..

the question really comes down to how long will lga 1156 and 1366 be around.. we all know am3 will be around for the next 2 years at a minimum and probably another 2 years after that..

but an athlon II x4 620/630 with an msi 770 chipset board and ddr3 ram should last you a while.. or even spend a few more dollars for a phenom II 955.. then look at something like the GTX 275 or GTX 260 216 core for cuda support.. but i would check first to make sure all the applications you plan to use have cuda support but if they do then this would be the ideal setup.. if they dont then an i5 or i7 lga-1156 would be the better setup for the cost..

IF cost matters than its obvious the gulftown would be out of the question. Your best solution is getting the i7 920 and overclocking it which will give you the best results for gaming, video encoding, editing, etc for the price. It'll last you for future games etc. Though this means you have to rebuild your entire pc around an intel-cept for the hdd, cd drives, etc.

Depends on the software. If it's CUDA-supported then the CPU won't be doing that much. AMD is also releasing 6-core CPUs just like Intel is, but we'll have to wait to see the price vs performance between the Intel and AMD offerings as far as that goes. Timeline, budget, software list - these will all be factors.

As much as I love AMD for gaming for content creation I'm going to have to lean intel. If cost is a factor I'd go core i5 750. If cost is less of a factor I'd go the x58 route and core i7 920.

Your just looking at a few hundred extra bucks for a few extra percent performance. Theres nothing terribly complicated about it. i7 with trip channel ddr3 has more mem bandwidth and 4 extra threads for multi threaded applications, but real world increase from it all is not huge or anything. If you dont mind dropping an extra say 220-300 going i7+trip channel ddr3 + 1366 mobo, then go or it. If not, a top end Phenom II will run you 175-195 and only needs an 80-115 dollar mobo and 2 sticks of ddr3. For most of the apps you mention any 3ghz quad core is not going to be a bottleneck, so your really not going to notice much if any difference between the 2 builds. And in games its well established the difference between the two is marginal. IMO its not worth the added cost, but moneys mighty tight in my home so there you go :) Id be on a dual core if it wasnt for kick butt phII cpu & component prices :)

One last note, Id either go Phenom II or i7, the difference between i5 750 and say a PhII X4 955/965 C3 is very minimal; each i5 core is slightly more efficient but with the same thread count its nothing noticable really. Spend the extra money to get hyper threading as it actually provides a meaningful gain over a PhII.

Phenom II is some very cheap horsepower and it leaves you room for CPU upgrades down the road. If there is little or no performance difference in you're everyday uses then it's a no-brainer.

If you have a commonly used app that can save you a discernible amount of time if you go i7, by all means, spend the cash and get the Cadillac. If you plan to use a RAMDisk for any of your apps, pay attention to the recognizable memory capacities. With 3-channel memory you can fit 12GB without buying expensive 4GB sticks.

Back