AMD FX-8310 slow compared to Fx 995

griff30

Supreme [H]ardness
Just got my FX-8130 to upgrade my kids gaming machine. I got the Tiger direct deal. With rebate it comes in under $100 for 8 cores.

I thought this would be a cheap upgrade for his system which is:
Fx-955 3.2 ghz EVO 212 Cooler.
Gigabyte 990FX UD3
2 GTX 460s in SLI.
16GB ram
950 Watt Corsair PSU
Corsair SSD

I also picked up a used R9-270 on here for upgrade.

The FX-8310 with R9-270 is slow and unresponsive.

It overclocks to 4GHz but every benchmark is slower than a stock 955 @ 3.2

It will literally stop showing what you type in a webpage. The benchmarks come in at half the score of the 995 with 2 GTX 460s.

Not sure if its the used R-9 270 or the new CPU causing this. Likely someone mine the shit out of the R9. After work Im going to go back to the SLI cards with the FX-8310.

Sandra reported that the CPU was getting only 94 watts I might need to bump it up.

Any suggestions?

You may need to reinstall OS, I had that issue. More so if you just changed the CPU using same OS as 955.

Seriously?
I was hoping to not have to go that route.

I will try that this weekend to see if it works.
The R9 270 should be faster than two GTX460s so I will reinstall the OS with that too.

I have the same CPU and I haven't noticed anything like you're describing.

CPU temps? I think the 460s in SLI are faster then a 270. Raw performance for sure. I'd stick to CPU benchies only. You can also check MSconfig to make sure you are using all 8 cores.

MSConfig and task manager show 8 cores.
Sandra shows it.
I ran Tomb Raider and when the games are running it goes well.

Typing in Internet Explorer slows and stops.
Some apps literally lock it up.
In most instances things are extremely slow as if an old 90s hard drive slow.

BIOS are up to date, double checked.

I have another unused AM3+ its a 970FX without Sli. I might try it on that. I was going to use it in my Asus but that's my machine.. :)

Or reinstall Windows 7. Im off tmorrow and will give that a shot.
temps are low at 3.4 GHZ that's non issue with the EV212+

Even at low 3.4 Ghz this should be noticeably faster than it is doing now.

I thought the R9 270 might be the culprit in this.
I will go back to the GTX 460s in SLI first tonight. They are the 768MB Se and they do well in games but I was looking for more ram and efficiency
Cant wait till the R9 390 hits, the other cards will get cheaper.

Its a kids gaming system, I have little time to game right now.

I have seen something similar to this before with the weird keyboard problems and Giga boards. As a test try dropping the NB speed in bios to around 2000 and see if it persists.

Reinstalled Win7.

This thing is quick!
Had fun at 4.5Ghz Could likely get higher with another fan on my evo212+

thanks folks!

This thing is getting 150FPS solid Arkham Origins with all eye candy.
I think I'll press my luck and use one of the GTX460s for hybrid PhysX with the R9 270x for graphics.

Good to know. I'm going to do a fresh reinstall of Win 7 when I get my motherboard. I went from a X3 720 to the 8310 and switched motherboards. Figure a fresh install can't hurt.

Back