AMD Fury series coming soon.

Here's what OcUK is saying:

Maxwell is an overclocking beast both on core and memory.

Fury you can't clock the memory full stop and on stock voltage Fury does not clock well at all.

So it will all depend on how much more headroom Fury gets from some extra voltage but right now voltage is locked.

For example a stock Ti which AMD compare against is 1000/1075/7010 clocks. Your extremely unlucky if your Ti can't run stable at say 1200/1400/7600 which gives a drastic performance boost.

Example the fastest card on the market right now is the 980Ti G1 by Gigabyte, it's a Titan killer as my one out of the box boost at 1377MHz OUT THE BOX! It can run stable at 1300/1500/8400 and the performance is absolutely insane.

Some bad news from staff over at OCUK... Apparently, Fury X does not overclock well at all at stock voltages (and voltages can't currently be increased):

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18677121&page=38

He's also hinted that 980 ti wins handily when OC'ed. So locked memory clock, and not good at overclocking on the core.

If you read on it says that all of the voltage controls are currently locked and it needs a software update to unlock it like most cards. MSI Afterburner controls are nearly all greyed out also.

Probably because it's already maxed out to the hilt to edge past the 980 Ti.

I hope it's not true though :(

I would assume since its a new memory architecture they'd want it as stable as possible so being locked at release is not a surprise. The core part is a little surprising though.

This guy is breaking NDA left and right.
What is going on here?

I think he's doing it just to get free advertising for his store/website.

people who sells the cards don't sign NDA''s, they get stock in before launch that happens, they shouldn't sell them before launch day, but if an employee buys one and tests it, its all fair.

If you read on it says that all of the voltage controls are currently locked and it needs a software update to unlock it like most cards. MSI Afterburner controls are nearly all greyed out also.
Why would AMD lock voltage to reviewers? C'mon.
That's a terrible idea.

I was assuming the card should have overclocked on stock voltage. There are no thermal constraints either since the card is well cooled.

This guy is breaking NDA left and right.
What is going on here?

I think he's doing it just to get free advertising for his store/website.

I know... he's been a fountain of info the past couple days. On the bright side, he does say the card runs extremely cool (40-50c) and coil whine has been virtually eliminated. Moreover, he doesn't think the voltage control will be unlocked as AMD would have already done that for the reviews.

Moreover, they're going to be price gouging (650 pounds/1000 dollars) like mad as they only have 100 units coming in - the first batch will be extremely limited, apparently. Expect something similar from other stores.

I should check that thread more often.

Spot on.

Right now you can get upto 10% more from clocking I'd say. Add in voltage control that could easily become 20% or more.

Drivers a further 10% with ease I suspect and the Fury could well strike down upon NVIDIA with furious anger.

Yep this is what I stated a week back, at launch there will be no overclocking for the memory and no voltage changes on the GPU. Its kinda bad marketing to try to sell a card with a AIO water solution when the main use of it is for overclocking when on launch day, its going to get negative reviews because of it.

Did it take a few for the 7970 to get voltage control? Or it might have been the 5870

I would assume since its a new memory architecture they'd want it as stable as possible so being locked at release is not a surprise. The core part is a little surprising though.

not so surprising, titan x at launch that couldn't be done either, takes time to get the software ready for modifying voltages and frequency, we only see a few numbers on these apps, but the chip has multiple frequencies and voltages across the silicon, so changing one of those will have an impact on the entire chip.

I don't understand his comments that G1 is faster than watercooled. Both have reached around 1500 mhz give or take based on how lucky you got with a chip. Although with watercooled you might have to change the bios. Unless he is talking about stock clocks

Aren't new GPUs typically voltage locked? Did anyone panic when the last Nvidia GPU was voltage locked at launch, eh?

Maybe reviewers get a special driver to unlock it early, that would be nice.

Tomorrow's headline: Fury has no OC headroom since its voltage locked.

They did say it maxed out at 1200 on stock voltage so around 1400mhz?. The 980 Ti maxes out i think around 1300 on stock. When I had the Titan X it maxed out at 1350 at stock voltage. But means nothing if we don't know exactly how both perform against each other at stock and how much improves with overclocking.

Some bad news from staff over at OCUK... Apparently, Fury X does not overclock well at all at stock voltages (and voltages can't currently be increased):

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18677121&page=38

He's also hinted that 980 ti wins handily when OC'ed. So locked memory clock, and not good at overclocking on the core.

That isn't true. He just has no idea what he is doing.
He said the same thing about Tahiti.

LordEC911 said:
Hearing that a 20-25% overclock on Fury-X with stock volts is relatively easy, if you loosen the power limit.
I'm going out on a limb here but I have a feeling that Fiji overclocks just as well as Maxwell, ~20-25% standard and 30-40% if you push it a bit
https://forum.beyond3d.com/posts/1854451/

people who sells the cards don't sign NDA''s, they get stock in before launch that happens, they shouldn't sell them before launch day, but if an employee buys one and tests it, its all fair.
Actually, that isn't true. They don't sign NDA's but the distributor and store do typically have to agree to certain terms. An employee purchasing an unreleased product can open the company up to legal action, not to mention publicly releasing the information...

Last edited:
They did say it maxed out at 1200 on stock voltage so around 1400mhz?. The 980 Ti maxes out i think around 1300 on stock. When I had the Titan X it maxed out at 1350 at stock voltage. But means nothing if we don't know exactly how both perform against each other at stock and how much improves with overclocking.

You can't compare AMD and NVIDIA clocks.

You can't compare AMD and NVIDIA clocks.
As I've said before, Nvidia should start selling GPUs with 1000 cores that way people can run them at 5,000MHz and think they got a beast overclock.
AMD only runs at 1400 MHz? lol I got my new GTX 1080 up to 6.5 GHz. AMD sucks.

Fiji is a new GPU wtf does "1,200 MHz" on Fiji even mean? I guess compare it to Tonga.

not so surprising, titan x at launch that couldn't be done either, takes time to get the software ready for modifying voltages and frequency, we only see a few numbers on these apps, but the chip has multiple frequencies and voltages across the silicon, so changing one of those will have an impact on the entire chip.

You could actually add voltage from about 1.15V to 1.25V with Precison X to the Titan X at launch. Wouldn't work with afterburner though. Then a few days later the BIOs mods showed up that allowed ~1.3V. Now there's a pencil mod for higher I might do if I snag a job on Monday...

They might also lock down the Fury X to reduce RMAs because you generally don't want cooling liquid to exceed 50 or 60C. The AIO could have been designed for more, but generally that drives up cost. If you let people increase voltage on a card that's already 275W that has a small radiator you're asking for trouble.

You could actually add voltage from about 1.15V to 1.25V with Precison X to the Titan X at launch. Wouldn't work with afterburner though. Then a few days later the BIOs mods showed up that allowed ~1.3V. Now there's a pencil mod for higher I might do if I snag a job on Monday...

They might also lock down the Fury X to reduce RMAs because you generally don't want cooling liquid to exceed 50 or 60C. The AIO could have been designed for more, but generally that drives up cost. If you let people increase voltage on a card that's already 275W that has a small radiator you're asking for trouble.
good points.

If his comments are true, the aio seems to be doing a fine job. He claims 35-40c gaming temps on average and silent.

in what way there really is no info yet, other then someone couldn't overclock it much lol, I wouldn't call that winner, still waiting on the verdict.

For me AMD Fury X AIO Cooling for same price as 980 TI reference and is equal to 980ti/titan x at stock.
WINNER

So far I get impression they are neck and neck. Win some lose some based on driver and games. It seems like for 4k the memory helps but have to see when they test gta v where other 4 gb hit vram wall if hbm manages it differently.

For me AMD Fury X AIO Cooling for same price as 980 TI reference and is equal to 980ti/titan x at stock.
WINNER

We don't know the performance yet lol, unless your basing your info on the AMD review guide which I wouldn't, I think

My Prediction on performance:
980 ti like performance without AA and AF and possibly beating it by a few % points, with any amount of AF its going to be equal to or just lower then the TI, with AA and 4k, its going to be lower then the TI almost all the time. And then we have the 4 gb limit, games like that already use more then 4 gb the Fury X (hate it when people use FX lol, the connotation is too strong) is going to nose dive.

My Prediction on performance per Watt:

Maxwell 2 architecture will have a substantial lead

Everything about this card has been a disappointment so far, except the temperatures and noise levels.
Based on early rumors, of course.

I wouldn't say its a disappointment, not yet, it seems to fair well against the TI, so that is a good thing,

Everything about this card has been a disappointment so far, except the temperatures and noise levels.
Based on early rumors, of course.

I thought you were an AMD shill? What the hell happened?

If they gouge it for $1,000 that would be a disappointment.

I thought you were an AMD shill? What the hell happened?

If they gouge it for $1,000 that would be a disappointment.

He's been accused of being both on green and red team. Seems to be about the right balance of levelheadedness and a couple steps above the devoted fan boys in here.

WINNER

Especially if the AIO means good things for overclocking - 40-50c under load is crazy good. It'll be really interesting to see how Fiji does on air too.

TS plays both sides for the lulz

No he isn't.
Show me some good news about the Fury X, aside from the temps and noise.
Everything else has been bad... Voltage locked, low performance, low OC headroom, price gouging, low availability, no HDMI 2.0 / DVI.

My Prediction on performance:
980 ti like performance without AA and AF and possibly beating it by a few % points, with any amount of AF its going to be equal to or just lower then the TI, with AA and 4k, its going to be lower then the TI almost all the time. And then we have the 4 gb limit, games like that already use more then 4 gb the Fury X (hate it when people use FX lol, the connotation is too strong) is going to nose dive.

It sounds like the GTA5 4K bench is going to be particularly ugly for Fiji. Three more days until Kyle & co. spill all. The people preordering for gouge prices thinking they're getting in before it goes up even higher - fools. Wait 'til after the real benches, I have a feeling that gouge is going to disappear overnight.

Back