AMD equivalent of i3 Sandy

tpfaff

2[H]4U
Hey guys I'm looking to set up an i3 rig for my parents, I was just wondering if I could cut some costs with AMD. Looking for similar performance and I was planning on using the on die gpu. Does AMD offer anything similar with a gpu for less money?

Anandtech has good comparison information for different CPUs. Pick your different CPUs and see how they match up. For the money, an i3-2100 is hard to beat in single threaded stuff that parents tend to do...

Anandtech has good comparison information for different CPUs. Pick your different CPUs and see how they match up. For the money, an i3-2100 is hard to beat in single threaded stuff that parents tend to do...

Thanks, guess I'll just stick with it then.

I would say it depends on if your parents need a more hefty gpu. llano would do better since its gpu is alot better, but the cpu is still just the same thing amd has now so if they need more cpu go with the i3.

The llano is what I was referring to when I said "not out yet" above.. If your building now the closest thing to an i3-2100 would be a quad core athlon with a 880 chipset that should still be considerably cheaper then the i3. Though not as efficient.

Hey guys I'm looking to set up an i3 rig for my parents, I was just wondering if I could cut some costs with AMD. Looking for similar performance and I was planning on using the on die gpu. Does AMD offer anything similar with a gpu for less money?

Better than an i3-2100 in what?

Just go get a AMD Black edition with free motherboard from microcenter and it will cost less than a single I3 chip.

Currently widely available AMD 'equivalents' come in the form if chipset graphics. For your parents I wager it doesn't matter too much if the graphics are on the CPU or on north bridge itself. Maybe in the case of the latest amd onboard graphics chipset its better than on-cpu i3.
785g or the 800 series boards should be enough in terms of graphics power and compatibility. And as the above poster said check out the Anandbench and see what kind of AMD CPU compares to your needs.

GL

llano is what you would be looking for from the amd side.

currently the amd offering would be a athlon II quad core combined with a 890gx or 790 gx motherboard. Both are faster in terms of GPU, but Sandy i3 would beat it in single threaded applications. The athlon II would beat the sandy in heavy mutitasking due to its 4 cores. Things like 3d rendering folding at home, and video encoding are strong points of it. Single threaded applications will favor the i3. However mutiple single threaded applications open at once and you get into heavy multitasking the athlon II outperforms it.

Then there is the the E-350. APU/ mobo all in one. Cheap and efficient but much slower in cpu performance and on par in graphics performance.

Last edited:
Back