AMD EPYC Rome 64-Core Server Versus Intel Dual Socket Xeon Platinum Benchmark

Um, your photo says literally nothing. They are two completely different processes from 2 completely different companies with completely different physical design constraints and thus physical design. Anyone trying to base what's on the new one off of the physical size of the old one is at best guessing.
50% density shrink.
Those dies are smaller than 50% of the 12nm chips....
One can clearly conclude the I/O has been taken out and moved to the.. gasp.. 14nm I/O chip!

AMD swinging for the fences and connecting with every hit.

god damn. Can't wait for CES now.

Im very impressed with this design.. more so the fact that they have re worked the architecture so aggressively so fast.
It feels like amd is moving towards completely modular computing.. what will be stopping them from ripping some of those chiplets and placing HBM and navi gpus?, How about high power ARM cores ? Things like these i am sure are under wraps. Also x86 doom might be greatly delayed thanks to AMD cheapening of multiple core CPUs. But yeah lets reward Intel, ' cause why not.. make sure the company you work for buys Intel/s... AMD just saved their hides.

My next pc is going to be Zen 2, AMD needs to hurry up and release it.
Did someone hack your account?
I'm amazed to see you post that after all these years lol. Come to the dark side ;)

man.. i see that chip and am reminded of the old pentium 2 cartidge CPU

+400% speed increase over last gen GPU. Lets go

now what nvidia?

I mean, if they dropped a new card that drew some stupid amount of power, like 600-700W, but it was 60% faster than a 2080Ti, I'd buy it. lol

I LOVE this announcement. From an VM host server aspect this thing is AMAZING and will save tens of thousands of dollars BY ITSELF.

Halve he licensing costs for our VM hosts... Yes please!

And this can trickle down to the Consumer level. And did you catch the comment on greatly improved IPC? Ohhh man that has me excited in ways CPU's shouldn't! (I kid but still wow.)

I haven't been this excited about a new CPU coming to market since Pentium's were announced to replace 486's.

I mean, if they dropped a new card that drew some stupid amount of power, like 600-700W, but it was 60% faster than a 2080Ti, I'd buy it. lol

I was more referring to if/when amd getting chiplet GPU designs then slam a quad chiplet design for ridiculous scaling.

I LOVE this announcement. From an VM host server aspect this thing is AMAZING and will save tens of thousands of dollars BY ITSELF.

Halve he licensing costs for our VM hosts... Yes please!

And this can trickle down to the Consumer level. And did you catch the comment on greatly improved IPC? Ohhh man that has me excited in ways CPU's shouldn't! (I kid but still wow.)

I haven't been this excited about a new CPU coming to market since Pentium's were announced to replace 486's.

I suspect the licensing models will change yet again... So enjoy it while you can.

Did someone hack your account?
I'm amazed to see you post that after all these years lol. Come to the dark side ;)

I’ve always hated Intel, I just needed something competitive from AMD and Zen 2 looks to be it. Too bad they don’t have a high end gpu to match cuz I’d go all out.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
I was more referring to if/when amd getting chiplet GPU designs then slam a quad chiplet design for ridiculous scaling.

With shader processing and such this is already being done to a large extent. More performance more specific xyz processors. They are just tiny instruction sets so they can fit hundreds.

50% density shrink.
Those dies are smaller than 50% of the 12nm chips....
One can clearly conclude the I/O has been taken out and moved to the.. gasp.. 14nm I/O chip!

And I said I/O had partially been taken out, all you need is 2 DDR channels and enough lanes for PCIe/Inter chip link, which is like 30-40% of the I/O of 14nm Ryzen. It already needed the I/O pads for the PCIe/Interlink. So the only question is if it has 2 DRAM channels, which I view as likely. That allows them to use it across desktop and server without issue.

And I said I/O had partially been taken out, all you need is 2 DDR channels and enough lanes for PCIe/Inter chip link, which is like 30-40% of the I/O of 14nm Ryzen. It already needed the I/O pads for the PCIe/Interlink. So the only question is if it has 2 DRAM channels, which I view as likely. That allows them to use it across desktop and server without issue.

I think it's more likely that AMD will use smaller, more consumer-focused 14nm I/O dies for consumer/mobile CPUs. If they make an I/O chip with 2x DDR4 channels and 16 built-in VEGA cores, every CPU will be an APU.

Just to clarify, you think they could use the chiplets as is if they have the two DRAM channels? It would actually make some sense as it would be the best choice for low cost. I'm not sure how profitable the interposer designs are on a base model $100 chip... they'd be a decent chunk of the cost. That said, maybe AMD has invested in their own packaging/interposer solution? But as Kaze said, there could be other plans.

I think it's more likely that AMD will use smaller, more consumer-focused 14nm I/O dies for consumer/mobile CPUs. If they make an I/O chip with 2x DDR4 channels and 16 built-in VEGA cores, every CPU will be an APU.
This makes sense too and also helps keep GF happy with wafer orders for 14nm.
Biggest criticism many have for the Ryzen desktop chips is lack of GPU. I'd love one too.

So on the speculation front, AM4-based Zen2 chips could be either a whole new large APU die, or they could be Rome-style Chiplets with a new controller+GPU die. I made this little picture showing what I think are the two most likely Zen2 desktop configurations.

upload_2018-11-8_9-1-7.png

Back