AMD CPUs can use Intel software to support Ray Tracing on Navi GPUs for DX11 game World of Tanks

Marees

2[H]4U
Wargaming, developer of World of Tank has taken an alternative route to enable ray-tracing in one of their games: Intel’s Embree library.

Embree is part of Intel’s One API and supports all DirectX11 graphics cards. World of tanks enables ray-traced shadows on all graphics cards, both NVIDIA and AMD without needing the RTCores found in the RTX 20 series cards. According to Wargaming, the quality will be very close to that rendered by NVIDIA’s RTX cards in supported games. However, due to performance constraints, only the tanks will cast ray-traced shadows.

In Intel’s Encore RT, the BVH part is done by the CPU cores instead of the GPU. As per Intel, their CPUs are optimized for Embree, but unlike RTX this is a free source and not a proprietary library. Furthermore, AMD’s chips are said to perform better in this form of ray-tracing than Intel’s own 9th Gen Coffee lake CPUs!!!

-------------------
EDITED:

original link:

https://wccftech.com/world-of-tanks...ows-on-all-dx11-gpus-made-with-intels-embree/

--------------------

https://www.techquila.co.in/world-of-tanks-enables-ray-tracing-amd-graphics-cards/

Last edited:
So this is what the world has become? We are going to start moving high end graphics processing to a cpu?

Colour me skeptical but I see this bogging down anything that tries. There just is no comparison between GPU and CPU power.

So this is what the world has become? We are going to start moving high end graphics processing to a cpu?

Colour me skeptical but I see this bogging down anything that tries. There just is no comparison between GPU and CPU power.

From what I understood, the CPU does BVH part and the compute unit of the GPU does the ray tracing part

Rumor : AMD Bringing Ray Tracing Support to Navi in December

So maybe Radeon VII with a thread ripper !?

From what I understood, the CPU does BVH part and the compute unit of the GPU does the ray tracing part

Rumor : AMD Bringing Ray Tracing Support to Navi in December

So maybe Radeon VII with a thread ripper !?

Still doesn't make sense; GPUs do far better when it comes to this sort of thing.

Now, you do have the problem where GPUs are overloaded while the CPU is sitting around doing nothing, but CPUs are relatively inefficient at this type of processing. That's why 3dfx came up with "Graphical Accelerators", and why they caught on. Remember, everything a GPU does, you can force on a CPU with enough time and effort. No one does, for performance reasons.

Still doesn't make sense; GPUs do far better when it comes to this sort of thing.

Now, you do have the problem where GPUs are overloaded while the CPU is sitting around doing nothing, but CPUs are relatively inefficient at this type of processing. That's why 3dfx came up with "Graphical Accelerators", and why they caught on. Remember, everything a GPU does, you can force on a CPU with enough time and effort. No one does, for performance reasons.

In this scenario, I think it was because this is a directX 11 game & microsoft supports DXR only on DX12

So the game developers have tried a shortcut to implement ray tracing without using DX12 !?

It isnt even real ray tracing so the say and it is only shadows

Yes, it is limited Ray Tracing & I was wondering what was the point of it

But after seeing the demo of the game with RT, I am convinced that it makes a difference to this game

The shadows need to align with the movement of the turrets. It is very obvious if the shadow of the turret doesn't change in length or direction in alignment with Turret

Ray Tracing is better at shadows than conventional shading and since this a DX11 game they have gone for the CPU + GPU compute solution

In this scenario, I think it was because this is a directX 11 game & microsoft supports DXR only on DX12

So the game developers have tried a shortcut to implement ray tracing without using DX12 !?

Technically, you can do Ray Tracing on current GPUs no problem; it's not like Pixar hasn't been doing so for decades now. All DXR exposes is special hardware that farther accelerates the process, but there is nothing preventing doing ray tracing on current GPU hardware.

Back