AMD bets on Bulldozer to take back the desktop

I was all gun ho back during the June release, but I just do not care anymore due to the delay. I do want to see how it performs of course though I am not hitting the refresh button anymore hoping for leaks.

I think Intel hasn't been so focused on the desktop, and hasn't made any big leaps in CPU performance (per core) since the ancient Core architecture. There's a window for AMD to reclaim the CPU crown. And, a dual-integer unit core should blow away an Intel dual-threaded core, especially for gaming.

Who cares about single threaded performance, just give me better performance versus i7 2600k in F@H both at maximum clocks and I'm sold.

Well the article says it ships this month. We shall see. I know I'm patiently waiting.

Supposedly it is September 19th for release.

Article wasn't that bad but im thinking the headline is a little of, I mean is the AMD PR going to say our new Bulldozer will suck donkey balls ?

AMD need to price BD to make it appealing so you want 2500k, 2600k beating performance for less outlay.

It is a bit late which is a shame

Not a shred of new info. Not surprising, but disappointing nonetheless. I still want BD to be kick-ass.

I has bulldozer already. It's out on the street doing some pavement work. :p

I think Intel hasn't been so focused on the desktop, and hasn't made any big leaps in CPU performance (per core) since the ancient Core architecture.

35% to 50% improvement in IPC along with more cores/threds and significantly higher frequencies for less power is not a big leap?

There's a window for AMD to reclaim the CPU crown. And, a dual-integer unit core should blow away an Intel dual-threaded core, especially for gaming.

Only for applications that can make use of 6+ threads otherwise the extra processing hw should not really come into play versus intels 8 threaded processors. Since very few games today use 6+ threads I would not say "especially for gaming" today. Maybe in 3 to 5 years. BD will however be competitive with the i7 2600 with both chips at stock frequency + turbo and offer better multitasking when you can use 6+ threads for the same cost as the i7.

Last edited:
I was all gun ho back during the June release, but I just do not care anymore due to the delay. I do want to see how it performs of course though I am not hitting the refresh button anymore hoping for leaks.

^ This

I gave up and spent $356.02 total shipped for a new 6 core / 12 threaded i7 970 to upgrade my i7 920. I do not expect bulldozer whenever it is released to be better than that although the top end 8 core bulldozer will be a little cheaper but I already had the lga1366 system so not really cheaper for me..

I gave up and spent $356.02 total shipped for a new 6 core / 12 threaded i7 970 to upgrade my i7 920. I do not expect bulldozer whenever it is released to be better than that although the top end 8 core bulldozer will be a little cheaper but I already had the lga1366 system so not really cheaper for me..

I haven't been paying attention to the 970 prices... for that much I might go ahead and upgrade my 920 unless BD is supa-fast.. That would also give me the last piece I would need to switch my wife to lga1366 as well - already have a board and RAM. She is currently running my old Q6600 setup.

Won't say I haven't been tempted by the idea of picking up a cheap (well, cheaper) 970, but this close to launch? Might as well wait and be sure.

Looking forward to getting a 6 core BD as I won't need 8 cores and I have 4 now so it's a nice little upgrade. However I'm hoping for sake of the industry these puppies are good.

really....

AMD betting on their new desktop platform, as their old one is getting slapped around by processors two generations faster?

I haven't been paying attention to the 970 prices... for that much I might go ahead and upgrade my 920 unless BD is supa-fast..

I got a good deal after bidding on every single 970 and some 980 and 990s (that had a starting bid of less than $300) for 3 to 4 weeks. A few of those new 970s sold for $450 but if you are patient $375 to $400 should not be that difficult to get a new i7 970 on ebay. I have seen a 980 go for $500.

Last edited:
I got a good deal after bidding on every single 970 and some 980 and 990s (that had a starting bid of less than $300) for 3 to 4 weeks. A few of those new 970s sold for $450 but if you are patient $375 to $400 should not be that difficult to get a new i7 970 on ebay. I have seen a 980 go for $500.

Have you noticed much difference in actual performance?

Have you noticed much difference in actual performance?

I only have had the CPU for a week (installed on Tuesday the second) and work has been brutal (80+ hour weeks for the last month) so I have not much time to test. Also I have got to switch from vmware player to either kvm or virtualbox since vmware player only allows 4 cores for the guests which is the same as I allocated for my guest with the 920. As for power usage the i7 970 uses less idle and less full load power than the i7 920 at the same 3.2GHz frequency and both at stock voltage. Not sure what the stock for i7 970 is. I believe the 920 used 1.25V @ 3.20GHz (BCLK 160).

On top of that I probably will not be the best tester for anyone here. My usage is not at all for games (no free time between work and the wife). I am a linux / windows programmer doing medical imaging research.

Last edited:
http://obrovsky.blogspot.com/

6.png

3.png

more at the site , if true its a mixed bag and a disapointment

I would be very surprised if BD 8 Core cannot put up more FPS @ 1280x1024 than the X6's

If it can't I don't see myself getting BD...and I don't see myself getting an Intel CPU ever again :D oh the drama! Cheers to blowing all my money on GPU's!!

Im a big AMD fanboy but I admit to being lulled into a big bunch of "dont care" by the constant delays and total silence on the part of AMD.

I am going to need a new build in the near future as my tried and true midrange ASRock board is starting to show some signs of instability here and there. Cant be blamed cause Ive cranked on this thing big time with Vcores up to 1.6 and pushed this 6 core to its max despite never being built with 6 core processors in mind. Ive more than gotten my money's worth out of it.

I was all set to pick up a Sabertooth 990FX and wait it out but after the last delay and the total silence from AMD, I decided to wait on the whole thing. If Bulldozer comes out flat then Im not gonna be able to justify them anymore. And theyll have to bring it pretty big cause the $120 i3 is beating anything with an AMD label on it in gaming benchmarks which is all I really care about. They wont be able to rely on the "we're cheaper" marketing slogan Im afraid.

more at the site , if true its a mixed bag and a disapointment

If it's true, which it likely isn't. He barely provides even the scantiest of basic information (proof), which doesn't make sense since he has already violated any form of NDA. What does he have to hide? I also find it funny how his benches are completely exact/even, with no deviation. It gets exactly 3.600 in excel and 21,850 7 zip. Whereas a 2600k gets 3.339 and 21,212 respectively.

It's almost like he took the 3.6ghz clock and 8150 model number, and mixed them into his bench results. Don't be surprised if he did.

Last edited:
Waited for the June release. Delayed with no word from AMD. Lost interest. Bought I7 2600K. OC'd in about 2 minutes to 4.5 GHz, didn't feel the need to try for higher. Very happy with my choice.

If I were in the market for a new CPU I probably would have caved and bought SB already. One can only hope that BD will make SB owners jealous, but with all the delays, I just don't know.

I'm not ready to express dismay because we simply don't have reliable sources for these scores.
I'm also not banking on AMD matching Intel performance per core and clock speed..but they don't really have to either.

The targets are clear the i-5 2500 and i-7 2600 I don't expect the 4 core FX to match the i-5 CPU but I expect it to be quite a bit better than the Phenom II's right now and not far off the Intel performance wise but for less cost. The 6 core should beat it if it doesn't then we'll have some cheap AMD processors to buy shortly ;-)

Look at it this way currently you can't hit the i-5 performance wise even with a 6 core Phenom II well you'll have to OC the heck out of it to get closer bar a few things such as rendering and video editing it does well on. That should change with FX at stock it should have it or near enough..and less TDP as well so that's another advantage.

But what I really care about is better performance v Phenom II and good prices. It's too early to call time on this with this one blog post. If I can buy a 6 core FX that is better than an i-5 2500 at a better price then we're onto a winner.

Well it isn't true no one even uses the obrovsky numbers because he already stated that he doesn't have any Bulldozer to start with ....
Obrovsky is a troll, which is king of obvious from his childish writing.

What makes those results just seem entirely dubious is that the 8150 is barely able to keep up a pace to make itself remotely relevant. Its 8 cores seems to save it in some cases, but only barely. The 6 and 4 core variants, on the other hand, would probably be worse than Phenom IIs, yet apparently priced at a premium. That just wouldn't make sense. Considering you can use Phenom II's in AM3+ boards, AMD has to be smart enough to realize they'd have no market at all for 4 and 6 core BD's if they're slower and more expensive than Phenoms.

It'd be pretty sad if BD does flop though. Seems like all of AMD's upcoming enthusiast CPUs are BD based, so they'd be SOL in our market segment for the foreseeable future if the architecture is bad.

I think I will continue to assume that these leaks are ALL BULLSHIT until I see the official [H]review.
I will them lump every "leaked" reviewer and "leaked" bullshit website into the realm of never to trust again.

I definitely say BS, unless folks want to assume that BD is barely above previous generation CPU' in gaming (I assume single threaded apps), yet AMD is pushing it as a gaming CPU.

hell know, AMD is pushing BD as gaming CPU because it own AMD and its in their interests..., also from mine point of view desktop upgrade is in 95% for the games (even if ppl say different they are just ashamed of gaming)

Yes it does not make sense at all esp since the FX 8 core processors have 8mb of level 2 cache which on it's own even if you did nothing else would certainly improve gaming performance (lv 2 is much faster than lv 3 cache) and 8mb of lv 3 cache again the numbers don't really make sense.

Though I've seen iffy benchmarks before even legit ones I've had some huge differences in performance in cinebench just one example.

i don't understand the point of faked benchmarks. I guess it is negative marketing scheme.

I really don't mind waiting for Amd's Next generation products. This is there new architecture, so to think it is going to compare to their current products is rather comparing apples and oranges.

Compare the core architecture to what intel had previously, they made huge leaps in performance. We don't really know what to expect from these next generation processors, but any time there is a major architecture revamp, it usually results in a far superior product to previous generations.

Amd bringing back the FX tag has to have some merit. Other than the few lucky people who actually know about BD performance get to keep it to themselves until the NDA is lifted. Then you will see more reviews and comparisons than you can shake a stick at.

My Thuban hexcore is more than enough for me atm, it runs all my games, all my multitasking just fine. I don't have a need to upgrade right now, so i don't mind waiting to see what these next gen parts can do. Amd should also be releasing the 7000's series gpus soon enough as well. Amd does have a lot riding on their new Cpus as they will be using this architecture for some time to come.

skeptical people are, but unless you have a BD processor in your hands right now and know for sure that it either beats a I7 or not, the rest of us will just have to wait and find out. I will say that i do have a AM3+ motherboard sitting in my closet, waiting to be used release day i will be picking up the new CPU. Do i care if it beats Intel? no, but it will be faster than what i currently have, and well that is all i care about. I will be treating myself to a treat, as i don't really need to upgrade, but will be just for the sake of moving the the new platform. (still running ddr2 and sata 2 spinners) I think its time to pick up a sata 3 sdd, instead of the classic spinner driver, and some ddr3 that alone will be worth the upgrade.

nevermind. You answered my question a few posts above. :)

Last edited:
Back