AMD 23.7.1 Drivers - Major FPS Boost in The Last of Us & Forza Horizon 5

Marees

2[H]4U
Forza Horizon 5 is a whopping 67% faster with the new driver on the Radeon RX 7900 XT at 1080p.

Radeon RX 7900 XTX also sees a healthy ~32% boost in performance with the new driver at 1080p. The gains are smaller at higher resolutions, indicating a CPU bottleneck rather than a GPU limitation. At 1440p, the Radeon RX 7900 XT is 46% faster with the latest driver, while the 7900 XTX gains over 30% more frames than the previous drivers.

At 4K, the gains drop to 23% on the Radeon RX 7900 XT, further evidence of a CPU-side limitation with the previous driver. The RX 7900 XTX is ~24% faster at 4K, in line with what the XT exhibited.

The Last of Us sees a smaller uplift on both RDNA 3 cards. The RX 7900 XTX is 22% faster at 1080p and 14% faster at 4K using the new drivers.

even the older Radeon RX 6000 series GPUs get a healthy 10-25% boost with the new drivers.

https://www.hardwaretimes.com/amd-r...ster-with-the-latest-adrenalin-driver-update/

Looks like they fixed a bottleneck, always nice to get a free performance boost. But it would help AMD if they got these things ironed out before a launch so early reviews would show the actual potential of the card. Very rarely do tech sites or Youtube reviewers go back and re benchmark cards again to show the gains from driver updates.

Very rarely do tech sites or Youtube reviewers go back and re benchmark cards again to show the gains from driver updates
When a new card release many seem to be (and why it takes a lot of time and tend to be a very limited number of games-scenarios tested) and it give you idea does this new 7600 worth it versus with up to date drivers 6700xt.

When the card get too old (or are in too different tier or newer release for a long time) to be included, we can lose their improvement it is true too.

Looks like they fixed a bottleneck, always nice to get a free performance boost. But it would help AMD if they got these things ironed out before a launch so early reviews would show the actual potential of the card. Very rarely do tech sites or Youtube reviewers go back and re benchmark cards again to show the gains from driver updates.
Correct, that would place them in better spotlight and also performance / price.
The driver shall have been optimized first before they release the product.
Better wait for optimized driver rather than rushing the release with un-tapped full potential of the cards.

Sidenote: these have been happening since the ATI days, though LMAO.
So not really fine wine I guess.

I had just put a new 1tb WD Black SN770 in the system and this is 23 . 7 . 2, with FSR 1 up scaling to 4k and also recording with Re L

Last edited:
Been a Radeon user since 2009 and I never really worry about release day figures as I know within 6 months they will be 20% higher most likely with driver updates.

With 23.7, I finally think my 7900 XT is stable with a dual monitor setup.

I faced no issues my RX 6600 previously.

Back