Amazon Ready to Pull the Plug on Illinois

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Amazon has warned its affiliates in Illinois to prepare to be cut off if Governor Pat Quinn signs a newly passed tax bill into law. Effectively, the bill would put Amazon and other Internet vendors into the tax collection business. In the vernacular, Amazon ain’t having none of it.

Amazon helpfully included a link to Governor Quinn's office, and it wants its affiliates to make their assumed displeasure clear.

<3 Amazon... I was born and raised in IL but no longer there. Such a fucking retarded state.

I really hope this doesn't end up going through. It would only be the beginning of worse things to come.

As far as I'm concerned, Amazon should collect tax in all states or none. I'm in a state they do collect tax and I'm sure we're all envious of those who live in states where they do not.

As far as I'm concerned, Amazon should collect tax in all states or none. I'm in a state they do collect tax and I'm sure we're all envious of those who live in states where they do not.

It wouldn't make sense for them to collect taxes in all states such as Oregon where I am at that has no sales tax. A consistency in collecting for states that do indeed have sales tax though would make sense.

Um, that's not the law... they collect tax in states they are located in... What doesn't make sense about that?

fffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu..........................

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU! I would have to choke a bitch (or several) if this went through. I can't live without Amazon.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU! I would have to choke a bitch (or several) if this went through. I can't live without Amazon.

There are twelve step programs for this, you know.

I support amazon.

fuck these states.

what usually happens is that one state sets the precedent, and other bastard states follow.

just like airline luggage fees.

It wouldn't make sense for them to collect taxes in all states such as Oregon where I am at that has no sales tax. A consistency in collecting for states that do indeed have sales tax though would make sense.

I agree with you.

I support not paying sales tax...but mostly because I just enjoy not paying sales tax. :p

Yeah, I make no pretend moral platitudes here like many do when their handouts get challenged...I would just rather not pay sales tax so I hope Amazon gets their way. I do of course understand that you're supposed to report and pay it at the end of the year, but shoot me your name and address if you actually do that, and I'll send you a cookie. ;)

I support Amazon also. We already pay too much taxes.

I feel for those in Illinois. I hope this happens and I hope the rest of the states watch what happens to the politicians. And if they did it in my state, I would be just as happy. The government needs to figure out something better.

I live in IL right now and i hate this state. The laws and corruption are making this the least desirable state to live in and politics is a joke. I agree with Amazon 100%. Its all about how the state handles their money and frankly its all jacked up because no one knows what they are doing and all they want to is steal the people's money for their own pockets. Sorry for the rant.

I live in IL right now and i hate this state. The laws and corruption are making this the least desirable state to live in and politics is a joke. I agree with Amazon 100%. Its all about how the state handles their money and frankly its all jacked up because no one knows what they are doing and all they want to is steal the people's money for their own pockets. Sorry for the rant.

Born/raised in IL and lived here most of my live (except for my military service). The taxes have gone up and public services have gone nothing but down (like sitting on I-55 a few hours cause they can't plow or salt the road). ...and the politicians just keep reaching for more cash.

I can't wait to move...

I haven't read the bill, but I know states want to connect taxes for the stuff you buy out of the state. If it just for amazon, then they are stupid. If it's for every online retailer, good luck enforcing that! What would the place I buy Slot cars from in England think about it? Would they even know? Doubt it.

Just buy a new car from anther state, when you register in your state you get to pay the sales tax. Legally you need to tell the state all the junk you buy out of state and they get to charge you the sales tax for it.

Amazon is partially so successful because they do not act like a brick and mortar store. They do not collect sales tax for any state they are not headquartered in.

It gets funny though, since I order stuff from them and it ships from the same city I live in. They have a warehouse here, but I don't have to pay sales tax because they are not headquartered here.

You have not lived in NY yet. The only state that beats us in taxes is CA. Not to mention the fact that the only part of the state the government seems to care about is NYC.

Born/raised in IL and lived here most of my live (except for my military service). The taxes have gone up and public services have gone nothing but down (like sitting on I-55 a few hours cause they can't plow or salt the road). ...and the politicians just keep reaching for more cash.

I can't wait to move...

I too served in the military for 3 1/2 years in NY, the only good thing about this state is the Illinois Veterans Grant, thats the only reason im still here, when i graduate in May im looking for a job in another state for sure. My county (Dekalb) is probably the worst in the state when it comes to taking care of the roads, they don't even attempt to plow until it stops snowing 90% of the time, as soon as you get to the county line you can see the difference. :-\

I hate where I live. Last two governors get arrested for corruption. One is currently in Club Fed. Fuck Daley too. Because of him there's no concealed carry in IL. I hope amazon doesn't bluff.

You have not lived in NY yet. The only state that beats us in taxes is CA. Not to mention the fact that the only part of the state the government seems to care about is NYC.

I disagree. I have lived in CA and NC. NC is worse than CA. And NC had tried this crap with Amazon too.:mad:

When are the feds finally going to strike down these ridiculous money grabs? These states cannot enforce a sales tax collection from someone located outside of their state, who doesn't have a presence in their state.

It's called interstate commerce, and last time I checked, NY and IL weren't in charge of that!

I was born and raised in Chicago, Illinois. But now im very glad im not in that state anymore as i use Amazon all the time.:) lol

Um, that's not the law... they collect tax in states they are located in... What doesn't make sense about that?

And without getting too picky here, many of those tax collecting states that people order stuff online from are supposed to declare those goods and "pay taxes" on them.

That said, I lurf Amazon, at 9.25% (9.5% in the city of SF) I wish my state could get spending under control so this level of taxation isn't necessary. (Something people tend to ignore when arguing infavor of a "fair tax" system)

Born and raised in IL.

I'm not one for politics, but I'm definitely voting against Quinn if this goes through. I don't care if the competition is a hobo with one eye and a crate for a leg.

Good way to stand up to the most corrupt state in the Union! :D Just not do business with them. Illinois is known for their crooked politicians. One of the reasons for buying things online is to pay less money and to avoid paying sales tax. When newegg tempoarily had sales tax I did not buy anything from them. Why pay tax when you have to pay shipping. I would pay tax if all shipping was free though. I am glad I live in NY. In NJ they have to pay internet tax.

They can't hire enough state revenue auditors to collect the use taxes and enforce laws. The reaction would be harsh, even if they went from collecting 5% of what they should to 45%.

That doesn't mean doing something else like this is right, but it's something.

I am trying to find a means online to voice my displeasure at this. Seems any IL/Quinn site is down.

Anyone have linkage? Or do I have to do this the old fashioned way? (Which i can't even find a mailing address for.)

It's funny how every time we have a political article pertaining to one state, we see a bunch of posts complaining about how bad that state is.

So what are the good states? Come on, there are 50 of them...at least one or two must be nice.

It's funny how every time we have a political article pertaining to one state, we see a bunch of posts complaining about how bad that state is.

So what are the good states? Come on, there are 50 of them...at least one or two must be nice.

For a residence or just visiting?

Oregon is pretty popular, or Colorado. New Hampshire?

LOL do some research on Illinois, it literally is a piece of shit. So much corruption, this isn't just people on the internet talking shit, this is fact.

LOL do some research on Illinois, it literally is a piece of shit. So much corruption, this isn't just people on the internet talking shit, this is fact.

Illinois, the state that blessed the US with the now impeached former Gov. Rod Blagojevich.

Back